Looking at getting a Dreamcast

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I know squat about the Dreamcast system. Always been interested in getting one though, since I loved Sega back during the days of the Mega Drive. While checking a local auction site, I noticed that there was a system for sale, including one controller and a garbage game I would never play. Anything else I should check for on the site before I start bidding?

Also on the site, someone else had a SD card reader that apparently plugs into the system to use that instead of burnt CD-Rs for game storage. Is such a device worth a purchase? I understand CD-Rs don't hold as much data as the Dreamcast discs.

Lastly, does the system have any sort of region lock for official or backup discs? I'll be trying to buy discs when I can (though the ability to play backups will be important until I can get a library to be proud of) but want to know if I need to stick to local releases, or if I can ask some US friends for their unused Dreamcast games.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get the SD reader thing as it is extremely limited. CD-R discs are your best bet (using overburn settings compensates for GD-Rom disc recording). Google "Utopia Boot Disc" for getting around disc security and region lockout protection. Most importantly, make sure the Dreamcast was made prior to October 2000 to be able to play backups.

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bugger about the region lock. Does that affect copies as well? No boot disc on the site, and I'm not able to buy outside of the country (I refuse to set up any way to buy online, don't trust myself, the site I'm using doesn't require that though).

And I really wanted to avoid burnt discs. I understand not just any media will do, but the stores locally don't have any good brands. Plus, I'm a lazy bugger who never gets around to making copies onto discs.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any media will do. Copying discs from other regions is NO problem. It is a simple download and burn to common CD-R disc. Piece of cake. The sd slot loader isn't going to load your games like you're thinking.

Watch this

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Damn, long video. I'll be waiting a while for that to load. I'll look at it in half an hour.

Media doesn't matter? Last time I got in the mood for looking (though no systems were to be found at the time), guides mentioned wanting to use quality media, as poor media wouldn't always read, or would affect the laser lifespan.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, long video. I'll be waiting a while for that to load. I'll look at it in half an hour.

Media doesn't matter? Last time I got in the mood for looking (though no systems were to be found at the time), guides mentioned wanting to use quality media, as poor media wouldn't always read, or would affect the laser lifespan.
You need to go to the 5 minute mark and listen for a minute and a half (6:30 mark) I use stardard no frills media and everything has worked great for me, but yes better quality media can lengthen a lasers life span. But it's not required!

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country

Poor quality media could affect laser lifespan, but you can use it. It's just better to use a better quality.

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, watched the section you suggested. Yeah, read speed makes sense. I might still pick up the reader. Its damn cheap, and the ability to back up my own ISOs would be useful, even if for no reason other than to make sure they work correctly (already do the same with both my PS2 and PSP through unofficial methods, since pre owned games aren't always perfect, and its faster than beating each game as I buy them).

And POT?

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a meter for the amount of voltage allowed to the laser. So it is a regulator that controls the resistance of the voltage to the laser. The lower the resistance the stronger the laser, up to a point. I wouldn't go below 2.3 or 2.4. Lower than that and you could burn out the laser or seriously reduce its life. All that's needed to adjust it is a small (like #000 small) flat head screw driver. This is only down when needed, not for the hell of it. :)

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ah, now I understand. And trust me, I wouldn't just play with it. I've tried adjusting voltage on one of my many PS2s. I used it as a doorstop, until someone stole it. :lol:

DeltaBladeX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Don't like to double post, but if I just edited the previous post, people might not notice these additional questions.

You mention I need a boot disc to play imports of original games. Is it possible to use a backup of one (either through a SD card device, or a CD-R copy) to run the original discs, or would it be need to be a original boot disc?

Secondly, since I'm now certain I'll need a memory card in order to save, I have two choices. Official memory card (NZ$80 at a local hobby store, compared to NZ$100 for the system and controller, pretty expensive) or is a 3rd party memory card acceptable (available for NZ$10).

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly, I'm 90% sure that the Utopia disc everyone is talking about is obsolete. I have a vast amount of backups of various regions, no Utopia disc in the stack.

edit: look into the Self-boot Inducer and DiscJuggler images. a quick google jogged the old memory ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: