Looking for people who are interested in reverse engineering firmware!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't read anything and Twitter always tries to force me to sign up rather than scroll which any vaguely useful programming talk tends to entail. Prof9 is more than capable in the assembly world though and has a serious history with the rockman exe side of things so probably very good whatever it is.

I guess trying to make a GBA emulator with wireless network play is harder than they would like -- GBA link cables/link cables in general were notoriously error prone and trying to wind in internet ( https://web.archive.org/web/2022022...eature/3374/the_internet_sucks_or_what_i_.php ) does not make things better with local wireless only being marginally better.
Granted I would have gone the other way and emulated both machines on one host (no latency/dropped packets that way) and streamed controls and video the relevant directions, maybe with the occasional savestate just in case.

I would say Capcom are lazy with their legacy stuff but given they are also ultimately responsible for the classic "It's Just Emulation" talk which revolved around the considerable efforts for Megaman Legacy collection I don't know
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/contactUs
Has a nice sequel
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025782/It-s-Still-Emulation-Saving

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I'm both glad and sad that you think that way. As that basically sums up my thoughts.

I've seen so many ppl claim "I'm ok with singleplayer, who needs multiplayer" yeah..
Not like "Network" is literally part of the game name...

Granted I would have gone the other way and emulated both machines on one host (no latency/dropped packets that way) and streamed controls and video the relevant directions, maybe with the occasional savestate just in case
This is pretty much (aside the localhost thing)
@tangobattle:

It seemingly uses savestates and event injections to realize low latency "true internet" rollback multiplayer.
https://tangobattle.substack.com/#www.tangobattle.com
Really interesting read
(I asked weenie, the maker of their opinion too.. but only got a hilarious "I'm not Capcom, and don't want to speculate" out of him. Cute.)

The saddest part is, that gba android emus already have local link capabilties.
Heck, Revo reverse engineered the entire thing and created gba knockoffs which link up...

Afaik the biggest hurdle with gba link, is the fact that you cannot spoof packages or delay them.
A response has to come immediately, and it has to be one within range the host expects.
Otherwise the link errors out.

But that would only hinder internet play
(unless you could "freeze" emulation until a proper response is received)

As for the links:
It *is* strange how problematic it is to lift code forward.
Architecture, gpu, spaghetti code. (Or in this case: Arcane Arm instructions)
I'm glad the web is transparent in that regard.
If things exit a compiler not even ghidra can recreate things "perfectly")
(with some passionate exceptions. obviously)

(Then again.. source code is the equialent of "music stems" and "video production material"...)

--------

Sorry for the bla bla. I'm just so salty with the vg industry right now.
(Can't blame em really tho. Ppl buy most stuff w.o. second thoughts nowadays... *sigh*)

Last edited by aoikurayami,

Klikks

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello!
I am interested in reverse engineering the Super Card SD firmware, and possibly recreating the entire firmware. I have decompiled the firmware with Ghidra but unfortunately, it is too much work to do alone. Therefore, I am looking for people who also are interested in reversing the firmware, and are able to help out! If you feel like you're up for the task, just let me know"
Are you still around?
Are you still interested in trying to make sense of the updates/firmwares to these SuperCards?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Temp is back back again
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    why were servers down?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it was telling a friend
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, telling what?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Maintenance most likely.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, understandable
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hopefully it wasn't a DDoS attack.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i was already believing that was the reason it was down
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, The response from the page said it had too many connections. So perhaps, flooded traffic?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it didnt say that for me
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, It only shows that if you do 'View Source', right below that it'll tell you the SQL response query. I feel like a nerd lol.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But for everyone, it said unexpected database error.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just said database error for me
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she said it only said "too many connections" when you view the source
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna try to actually beat touhou 6
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Have fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i recall playing some hard undertale fangames way before playing touhou, like the genocide asgore fangame or the mettaton neo 2.0 one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    so atleast im already kinda used to bullet hell games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and yea i played both undertale and deltarune too although those are a piece of cake compared to any touhou game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aaaaaaannnnnnd i already lost all my continues
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only set three default lives btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz of score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i think i first should focus more on beating the game rather than obtaining a high score
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night