Hardware Losing the Effect by Rotating the 3DS

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I heard that the 3DS was going to have a gyroscope, I got very excited. One of my favorite games on the GBA was WarioWare: Twisted!, which had gamers rotating their handhelds 360 degrees to fight bosses. When I heard feedback from E3, where people claimed that the 3D effect is easily lost if you tilt the system too far to either side, I wondered how a game like Twisted would even be possible.

Gyroscope control is something that I haven't heard people talk about too much, but I'm really excited to see what they do with it. I just wonder if these games will only support 2D, which makes sense from a gameplay perspective, but conflicts with the appeal of 3D games.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
No one has mentioned that before.

I think it will be rarely used or only slightly used in games.

I guess we'll just wait and see, what else can we do?

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its probably a case of having to choose if you want 3d or motion control, kinda like how ps3 controllers choose between rumble or motion control, or N64 had rumble or save pack.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've heard that some developers consider disabling the 3d effect entirely in favour of being able to process better graphics or a higher framerate, which sounds ideal for any sort of gyroscopic game.

The technical reason is that the 3d has to be rendered twice to achieve the stereoscopic effect, disabling the 3D means you only need to render once.

Cobalt-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured that it'd be implemented as shake controls, mostly. 360 degree rotation isn't ideal with the 2-screen setup to begin with.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all make great points, but there's something here to consider. If a game is created around the gyroscopic controls, it's going to advertise whether its game is 3D or not. If it's considered to be 3D, it has to retain its integrity throughout gameplay, otherwise it will fail on its promises. I'm going out on a limb when I say this, but I'll bet Nintendo is going to put a strong pressure on all third-party companies to incorporate the 3D effect that will make this system unique.

If third-party companies are really given the freedom of choosing between 3D and processing power, it would be an interesting mix of realities. If I were Nintendo, I would make every 3DS game require use of the 3D effect, otherwise you'd have a majority of population disappointed in that game.

There's a precedent that's already set by the technology. I doubt Nintendo will find a way for the 3DS to shift, and adapt, the 3D viewing angle to accomodate the rotation required by the built-in gyroscope. But then again, it's Nintendo, and if they felt compelled to include this technology into the hardware, they must know how to make it work.

Crap, perhaps if they omitted the gyroscopic controls, they could add another analog stick. See my other topic regarding this situation.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Just tilt your head with the 3DS.
Do you tilt your head when you play any video game? My parents do, shit they throw their arms from side to side when jumping in Super Mario Bros (NES).

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
FireGrey said:
Just tilt your head with the 3DS.
Do you tilt your head when you play any video game? My parents do, shit they throw their arms from side to side when jumping in Super Mario Bros (NES).

If I am playing a handheld, and I happen to tilt the system, most of the time, yes, I do tilt my head. Kind of seems like the natural reaction to me...

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
If I were Nintendo, I would make every 3DS game require use of the 3D effect, otherwise you'd have a majority of population disappointed in that game.
I really hope they don't, some really good games could end up going completely unreleased because of a lack of using the new gimick? no thank you. Nintendo needs to embrace that the 3DS brings more to the table than 3D. Otherwise it will go down in gaming history as just another gimick release... like the virtual boy.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
dsfanatic5 said:
If I were Nintendo, I would make every 3DS game require use of the 3D effect, otherwise you'd have a majority of population disappointed in that game.
I really hope they don't, some really good games could end up going completely unreleased because of a lack of using the new gimick? no thank you. Nintendo needs to embrace that the 3DS brings more to the table than 3D. Otherwise it will go down in gaming history as just another gimick release... like the virtual boy.
You need to realize that the Virtual Boy, as a system in general, was a gimmick, but the 3DS is not. The 3D technology is impressive, as many eye witnesses can conclude, and it will be a "selling feature" for its games. Let's look at the Wii for example. The Wii introduced motion controls, something that excited gamers from the moment it was released. In the beginning, if a game didn't somehow incorporate the motion controls, then it didn't offer anything beyond a Gamecube game. Regardless of what anyone says, there was an underlying pressure to create games that incorporated the new motion controls. I believe the same will be true for the 3D effect on the 3DS.

We all know that there are great games for the Wii that don't use motion controls (or require them), so perhaps we'll see 3DS games that don't incorporate 3D effects. Perhaps it's my love for the WarioWare franchise that excites me about the 3D possibilites, but when I try to combine the gyroscopic controls of my favorite WW title, the results seem like a mixed bag. Either way, I was just trying to create a new discussion beyond all the "Will A Flashcart Exist?" crap posted five times a day. Good night.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it, you normally won't rotate something around unless you rotate your head with it. Using the gyroscopes will more than likely be for either subtle movements, or rotating with you (your head specifically) being the center of rotation, not the device. You'd only lose the 3D effect if you were to rotate it like a steering wheel.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me that the 3D effect is lost when you tilt the 3DS away or toward you so that you're viewing the screen from a different angle. Not when you rotate it left or right like you would for say a racing game. I could be wrong, but I believe the two functions will be able to work brilliantly together. Nintendo knows what they're doing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duffmmann said:
It sounds to me that the 3D effect is lost when you tilt the 3DS away or toward you so that you're viewing the screen from a different angle. Not when you rotate it left or right like you would for say a racing game. I could be wrong, but I believe the two functions will be able to work brilliantly together. Nintendo knows what they're doing.

I'm going with this. And keep in mind that developers will probably realize this too and compensate. And even if you tilt it away from you, the image is still (apparently) able to be seen, provided it's not drastically tilted away from you.

Worse comes to worse, turn off the 3D effect for any areas that will ruin the 3D effect and then turn it back on, provided the final 3DS design has an on/off switch for 3D.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
duffmmann said:

I'm going with this. And keep in mind that developers will probably realize this too and compensate. And even if you tilt it away from you, the image is still (apparently) able to be seen, provided it's not drastically tilted away from you.

Worse comes to worse, turn off the 3D effect for any areas that will ruin the 3D effect and then turn it back on, provided the final 3DS design has an on/off switch for 3D.
I'll go with this too, considering Nintendo wouldn't incorporate a feature that would end up with harsh criticism, but let me ask you this; "Have you played the gyroscopic games available on the GBA?"

I still maintain that my favorite entry in the WarioWare franchise was Twisted! for the GBA, and if you've actually played this game, you'd realize that it incorportates turning your handheld "Frantically" in a 360 degree motion, while trying to keep an eye on the gameplay. Yoshi: Topsy Turvy, wasn't a great game, but also used the gyroscope to similar effect. If I hope to have this insanely innovative gameplay on the 3DS, there's simply no way to cautiously keep the 3D effect within view.

So I'm guessing what some of you have said, in that gyroscopic integration will only include subtle movements, which seems like a waste to me. And for those of you that suggest turning the 3D effects down when gameplay doesn't allow for a good experience, "Do you really thing Nintendo would suggest this method in the instruction booklet?" It's like a game manuel telling you to turn the brightness up on your tv when the game reaches a dark chapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: