Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned previously, I have a personal reason to stay on menuhax. Something I could say in a PM, but not publicly. However.. I admit I'm not 100% certain my assumption on this matter is correct.
To add to that, I have a logical way of analyzing my position with exploits like these. I would rather stay on a lower FW to maintain the ability to use multiple exploits should something go wrong.
A fact of my previous experiences that makes me feel this way now.

On 9.0 you have quite a few exploits available to use. I never use sysNAND, so I see no reason to update it.
Unless I am missing something big, there is little reason to use A9LH over another previous exploit, other than slight time convenience (which is very minimal with menuhax).
For me, the only function of the exploit is to launch HBL and the CFW of choice. And as long as the CFW is able to update to the latest official FW, what other advantage is there?

I am not trying to pick a fight, so don't misunderstand my intentions. Simply stating my position and reasoning.

A9LH provides better brick protection.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned previously, I have a personal reason to stay on menuhax. Something I could say in a PM, but not publicly. However.. I admit I'm not 100% certain my assumption on this matter is correct.
To add to that, I have a logical way of analyzing my position with exploits like these. I would rather stay on a lower FW to maintain the ability to use multiple exploits should something go wrong.

On 9.0 you have quite a few exploits available to use. I never use sysNAND, so I see no reason to update it.
Unless I am missing something big, there is little reason to use A9LH over another previous exploit, other than slight time convenience (which is very minimal with menuhax).
For me, the only function of the exploit is to launch HBL and the CFW of choice. And as long as the CFW is able to update to the latest official FW, what other advantage is there?

I am not trying to pick a fight, so don't misunderstand my intentions. Simply stating my position and reasoning.
I would really like to know this reason, please. I can't see any reason at all to "avoid" a9lh.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: I've finally made it to 100 mssgs. ___________________...woot
you could use a9lh with a 9.0 sysnand, and i guess still use menuhax to load cfw from there if you really want. double exploits ftw! double brick protection, and slow boots!

D

Deleted-368796

A9LH provides better brick protection.
That is a good reason. However, if you update your sysNAND and then somehow lose/break A9LH, how are you going to access it again without another exploit?
If you make a backup but can't use A9LH, how are you going to restore it? I may not be understanding this properly, so that is why I ask.

I would really like to know this reason, please. I can't see any reason at all to "avoid" a9lh.
I will send you a PM about it.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a good reason. However, if you update your sysNAND and then somehow lose/break A9LH, how are you going to access it again without another exploit?
If you make a backup but can't use A9LH, how are you going to restore it? I may not be understanding this properly, so that is why I ask.
cfws block writes to the FIRM partitions which is what makes sysnand-only completely safe. therefore, updates can't actually break a9lh itself. if an update does make the system unbootable, a9lh can be used to fix it since it runs before the OS starts.

D

Deleted-368796

cfws block writes to the FIRM partitions which is what makes sysnand-only completely safe. therefore, updates can't actually break a9lh itself. if an update does make the system unbootable, a9lh can be used to fix it since it runs before the OS starts.
I understand that much. Some part of still fears that someone (maybe not me or you) could find a way to bork the boot process, therefore rendering the pre-OS bootup inert.

Do you have PMs turned off? I've looked on your profile but do not see the option anywhere.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that much. Some part of still fears that someone (maybe not me or you) could find a way to bork the boot process, therefore rendering the pre-OS bootup inert.

Do you have PMs turned off? I've looked on your profile but do not see the option anywhere.

if you have a9lh, you would just wait to update when a new firmware is released until it has been confirmed working with a9lh.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can't really do anything to overwrite a9lh; and if they did, it would be fixed relatively quickly.

there isn't much you can actually do from "3DS mode" to brick the system and break a9lh. you can only do that from tools through a9lh, but even then there are checks and things to prevent you from doing it accidentally.

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

a9lh is near the beginning of the boot process. i think right after bootrom, which cant be changed. so not much before it to bork.

D

Deleted-368796

Maybe my worrying over the personal issue I have is unfounded or misguided.

Even so, I plan to continue using 9.0 and menuhax for the time being since A9LH will not provide me personally with much additional benefit over what I am using now.
To be clear, I have a N3DS with the 9.0 > menuhax (autoboot) > Luma setup. I just want to have both systems on the same configuration. Swapping files and such.

I am not worried with bricking my systems because everything is run off the SD card. SysNAND is never touched, and can not be touched by anyone other than me.
If either unit fails to boot CFW, I can just pop out the SD card and restore a backup, never touching the sys. Just how I prefer to do it for now.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never used freeshop before - to uninstall a freeshop game do you just do it with fbi or bbm? Thanks in advance for any help!

novren

Have a banana!
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe my worrying over the personal issue I have is unfounded or misguided.

Even so, I plan to continue using 9.0 and menuhax for the time being since A9LH will not provide me personally with much additional benefit over what I am using now.
To be clear, I have a N3DS with the 9.0 > menuhax (autoboot) > Luma setup. I just want to have both systems on the same configuration. Swapping files and such.

I am not worried with bricking my systems because everything is run off the SD card. SysNAND is never touched, and can not be touched by anyone other than me.
If either unit fails to boot CFW, I can just pop out the SD card and restore a backup, never touching the sys. Just how I prefer to do it for now.

can you pm me your reason then?
I still don't understand why you would use menuhax when:
1. A9lh has a faster (way faster) booting time.
2. It also has a much higher boot rate (100%)
3. It's got FIRM protection.
4. It is virtually unbrickable since, as you have been told, it boots before sysnand and the os itself. Should you brick it, you only need restore a backup from hourglass or any other recovery tool.
5. It doesn't actually take any space away from the SD (besides the space needed for each game)
6. The fact that it's installed to sysnand means you can update without ever worrying about it (and point 4 in case something breaks)
7. It can be used along with emunand. So you can map sysnand booting to a certain key combination and have the console boot emunand if no key is pressed. You could also make the console boot sysnand with no cfw by default to avoid people installing cias you don't want. Or you can simply password-protect sysnand with Luma.

As you can see, plenty of options.

I've never used freeshop before - to uninstall a freeshop game do you just do it with fbi or bbm? Thanks in advance for any help!

In freeshop, where the download icon was on the game page, you should now have a trash can icon. You can either use that, remove it from fbi or from system settings (the least recommended, especially if you are using emunand).

Last edited by novren,
Reactions: RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
can you pm me your reason then?
I still don't understand why you would use menuhax when:
1. A9lh has a faster (way faster) booting time.
2. It also has a much higher boot rate (100%)
3. It's got FIRM protection.
4. It is virtually unbrickable since, as you have been told, it boots before sysnand and the os itself. Should you brick it, you only need restore a backup from hourglass or any other recovery tool.
5. It doesn't actually take any space away from the SD (besides the space needed for each game)
6. The fact that it's installed to sysnand means you can update without ever worrying about it (and point 4 in case something breaks)
7. It can be used along with emunand. So you can map sysnand booting to a certain key combination and have the console boot emunand if no key is pressed. You could also make the console boot sysnand with no cfw by default to avoid people installing cias you don't want. Or you can simply password-protect sysnand with Luma.

As you can see, plenty of options.

In freeshop, where the download icon was on the game page, you should now have a trash can icon. You can either use that, remove it from fbi or from system settings (the least recommended, especially if you are using emunand).
Thanks!

Timelord217

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help and don't know what I'm doing. The process is under "PM", not Process, so the black screen fix on the wiki or whatever won't work.

Attachments

• 84ebe416-562e-4208-8a93-4353f666fca0-764863909.jpg
    84ebe416-562e-4208-8a93-4353f666fca0-764863909.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 206

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
data_input_v4.zip ? what does this version do? i just installed v3 two days ago

also
https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh
i just install this file on mu already A9LH and i am done?

"Section IV - CTRNAND Luma3DS"
i haven't done this on my own N3DS,is this important?

i did the old method before CTRNAND,that's mean i didn't do a CTRNAND Transfer thing,is it okey to do it from this link or i should go back to before A9LH?

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
data_input_v4.zip ? what does this version do? i just installed v3 two days ago

also
https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh
i just install this file on mu already A9LH and i am done?

"Section IV - CTRNAND Luma3DS"
i haven't done this on my own N3DS,is this important?

i did the old method before CTRNAND,that's mean i didn't do a CTRNAND Transfer thing,is it okey to do it from this link or i should go back to before A9LH?

i also want to know this.

Also, last I checked it was only safe for n3ds. Is it now safe for o3ds users?

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i also want to know this.

Also, last I checked it was only safe for n3ds. Is it now safe for o3ds users?
i just did it and managed to do,no problem,and moved the file to CTRNAND and now i can run my N3DS without SD card.

but i still don't know what data_input_v4.zip do?

Last edited by aos10,

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm following the quide to install arm9loaderhax but it says I need the file aeskeysdb.bin but the link doesn't work can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah me neither
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're like chugging down two cans of gfuel
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Hi rez
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Hangovers are awful. Luckily I don't drink much these days to begin with, but they're the reason I don't drink - a lot- anymore
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hey there!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking energy drinks may as well be alcohol I remember chugging down 40oz half my body went numb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, I don't even drink alcohol either.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my throat still hurts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Slightly less tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Same
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Get well soon
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i hope both of you guys get better
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Thanks mate.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I used to drink alcohol fairly often. Never to the point of it being a problem, but like 2-3 beers with dinner each night, or a few cocktails or glasses of Scotch or something. Started smoking/vaping weed a lot a few years back which killed 90% of my interest in booze. Now I stopped smoking/vaping weed as much and just deal with life the boring way most of the time
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.