Hacking M3 Real Question

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, im considering buying an M3 Real but im a bit confused. Do you get either the gba expansion pack or the rumble pack or both?

Also i have read about using these as extra RAM. How does that work and if i wanted this would i need to goto the expansion pack or the rumble pack?

Lastly does the M3 real support the newer format Micro SD cards (8gb)?

Thanks

c

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
There are seperate bundles:
Rumble Ram Pack
GBA RAM Expansion Pack
GBA RAM Expansion Pack + Rumble Pack

I suggest you get the GBA RAM Expansion pack as it allows you to play GBA games with the M3DSReal, unless you want Rumble too, then get the third(most expensive) option. Extra RAM should be automatically detected by the program that uses it. (Warning, some homebrew do not support Rumble RAM, just the GBA RAM, so advice you get that one for DSLinux and so on)

and yes, It supports SDHC.

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
to be honest with you im not too bothered about the GBA games. So the normal rumble pack will support the extra ram?

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
For the DS Browser and some homebrew, it works, not all though. (It has to be the Rumble RAM pack, not regular Rumble)

ceanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok i think ill go for the RAM Rumble pack as i dont really see myself playing any gba games.

That together with a 4gig card should do the trick
smile.gif

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the Opera Web browser, you don't need the rumble pack. I have it but I dunno what else to use it for other than rumble since there is a patch that allows you to use the web browser without an expansion. Obviously you need the rom.

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
You could always get a different card and the EZ-Flash 3-in1.
Why would you need a different card?
The 3-in-1 (all versions) are compatible 100% with the M3 DS Real.
In case you didn't know that.
I happen to always have my 3-in-1 always in whilst using the M3 DS Real, because I use the browser alot.
I also like hacking GBA roms and playing them on portable hardware.

QUOTE(Flameburst @ Apr 29 2008, 05:52 PM) For the Opera Web browser, you don't need the rumble pack. I have it but I dunno what else to use it for other than rumble since there is a patch that allows you to use the web browser without an expansion. Obviously you need the rom.
That's incorrect. If the browser didn't need the RAM pack to work, Nintendo wouldn't have wasted money including them in the first place.
The only browser that doesn't need extra RAM and is 100% a standalone ROM is DSOrganizes browser (very glitchy).

The patch only allows you to use any type of expansion pack instead of just the official Nintendo browser pack.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGunKuruma said:
Urza said:
You could always get a different card and the EZ-Flash 3-in1.
Why would you need a different card?
The 3-in-1 (all versions) are compatible 100% with the M3 DS Real.
In case you didn't know that.
I am indeed aware of that fact dear --I just recommend other flashcarts over the M3 Real (as it really is an inferior product in my eyes), and it seemed like he was purchasing it for the expansion packs.

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flameburst said:
r u sure? cuz mine doesn't need any expansion i'm pretty sure since I don't have any.
You are using the official DS browser (Opera-Based) correct?
If so,
1. does it load all images? (animated .gif format even?)
2. how long does startup take?
3. Slot-2 is COMPLETELY empty, correct?

and most importantly
4. how often must the cache be reset?

Otherwise, I don't see how it manages to operate.

QUOTE(Urza @ Apr 29 2008, 06:36 PM) I am indeed aware of that fact dear --I just recommend other flashcarts over the M3 Real (as it really is an inferior product in my eyes), and it seemed like he was purchasing it for the expansion packs.

I fail to see how the M3 DS Real is such an "inferior" product, when the team has managed to make the largest capacity commercially available RAM expansion pack (GBA expansion), and is about to release a new firmware far more advanced than any on the market.
It also has GBA capability without additional software, booting directly within the firmware, something the Cyclo DS has yet to do.

The M3 DS Real is far from inferior, and calling it such is merely personal opinion.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGunKuruma said:
personal opinion.
Congratulations Holmes, you finally figured it out.

promotions.jpg

QUOTE said:
It also has GBA capability without additional software, booting directly within the firmware, something the Cyclo DS has yet to do.
The acekard RPG, CycloDS, and EZV has all accomplished this.

QUOTE said:
and is about to release a new firmware far more advanced than any on the market.
I'm not going to judge a product based on an unfinished loader. When it does actually come out, my opinion my change, but I find the current interface to be one of the worst on the market and see no real advantages to the M3 Real outside of its GBA support (which I myself use a SP for).

the team has managed to make the largest capacity commercially available RAM expansion pack (GBA expansion)
It may have the largest available volatile RAM, but it lacks any sort of NORflash (which both the Ewin Expansion, EZF3in1 cart that came before it have at the same capacity as the M3R's RAM, in addition to 16MB of RAM), which largely outweighs the benefits in my opinion (Do I have to say this every time I make a personal statement so you can tell the difference?). In addition, outside of fast-flashing of 256Mbit ROMs, the larger capacity doesn't provide much benefit as almost no applications have been optimized to use over 16MB.

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Congratulations Holmes, you finally figured it out.
So, it's in my understanding you promote the Cyclo DS? XD

QUOTE said:
The acekard RPG, CycloDS, and EZV has all accomplished this.
That's news to me. >o> Thanks for the update.

QUOTE said:
I'm not going to judge a product based on an unfinished loader. When it does actually come out, my opinion my change, but I find the current interface to be one of the worst on the market and see no real advantages to the M3 Real outside of its GBA support (which I myself use a SP for).
Yep, we'll have to wait and see when it is released then .
And the SP has a darker screen -___-; I mainly use mine for official carts nowadays.
But to each, his own ^__^

It may have the largest available volatile RAM, but it lacks any sort of NORflash (which both the Ewin Expansion, EZF3in1 cart that came before it have at the same capacity as the M3R's RAM, in addition to 16MB of RAM), which largely outweighs the benefits in my opinion (Do I have to say this every time I make a personal statement so you can tell the difference?). In addition, outside of fast-flashing of 256Mbit ROMs, the larger capacity doesn't provide much benefit as almost no applications have been optimized to use over 16MB.
Yet, I see Doom2 DS as making use of the extra capacity however.
Plus the main thing is it's house-developed. Something which no other competitor has done. Compatibility with future updates is guaranteed.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGunKuruma said:
So, it's in my understanding you promote the Cyclo DS? XD
FacePalm.jpg

For the record, my cart of choice at the moment is the ak2. CycloDS probably second or third though.

QUOTE said:
And the SP has a darker screen -___-;
The newer SPs are pretty good, if you're referring to the original model.

QUOTE said:
Yet, I see Doom2 DS as making use of the extra capacity however.
Yes, but thats about it.

Plus the main thing is it's house-developed. Something which no other competitor has done. Compatibility with future updates is guaranteed.
The EZ-Flash 3 in 1 was originally developed for the EZ-Flash V; months before the M3 DS Real was released. Guaranteed compatibility is not necessarily the case anyways (note the G6 Real users who've been screwed the last few updates).

Compatibility hasn't been much of an issue as far as expansion packs are concerned. The only incident that comes to mind is the newest rendition of the EZF3in1 which broke compatibility with ExpLoader, but that was fixed within like two weeks.

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
For the record, my cart of choice at the moment is the ak2. CycloDS probably second or third though.
Ah, ok I assumed it was Cyclo, since you mention it alot >o>;
*lurks moar*
What is your current setup anyways?

QUOTE said:
The newer SPs are pretty good, if you're referring to the original model.
Yeah, I'm one of the owners of the latter. -___-; dang Nintendo and their secret modifications.....
QUOTE said:
Yes, but thats about it.
Hopefully more, but making expansion-reliant homebrew isn't exactly great, since there are much more slot-1 only users than dual-slot users >o>;
Still the extra power is sorta nice, just to have XD.

QUOTEThe EZ-Flash 3 in 1 was originally developed for the EZ-Flash V. Guaranteed compatibility is not necessarily the case anyways (note the G6 Real users who've been screwed the last few updates).
Yeah, G6 is screwed now. Meh, I never liked non-SD cards, so I've never bought any G6 or similar card types.

Compatibility hasn't been much of an issue as far as expansion packs are concerned. The only incident that comes to mind is the newest rendition of the EZF3in1 which broke compatibility with ExpLoader, but that was fixed within like two weeks.
I know, but at least the support team knows about the issue better than an EZ flash member who wouldn't exactly know the card that's having an issue's specs (aside from the native EZ flash cards).

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ceanth said:
ok i think ill go for the RAM Rumble pack as i dont really see myself playing any gba games.

smile.gif
you would be surprised
there is a lot of good GBA games out there
including a ton for the zelda, mario, RPG fan

for the most part the rumble is useless
I never use it
I use the GBA cart though all the time...

NeoGunKuruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
ceanth said:

smile.gif
you would be surprised
there is a lot of good GBA games out there
including a ton for the zelda, mario, RPG fan

for the most part the rumble is useless
I never use it
I use the GBA cart though all the time...
If you understand Japanese, then there's also alot of very good Japanese titles also.
(Gyakuten Saiban was originally a GBA game before being released in the US as Phoenix Wright).
Plus as a fan of visual novels, there's many to choose from on the GBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC