OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Magic 3 was created sometime around 2002-03 for the Sony PlayStation 2. Its driven by a Parallax SX28AC microcontroller, a very powerful microcontroller at the time, competing with Microchip's line of microcontrollers. I suggest you have a read of HackADay's thread on Scenix, as it delves into the company's history and the range of products they released. https://hackaday.com/2022/08/17/chips-remembered-the-scenix-ubicom-parallax-sx/

Just for the shits and giggles and to preserve the history of this neat relic, I have decided to re-create my own version of the chip, in a more modern form-factor similar to most modern chips on the market like the Matrix Infinity and Modbo. All you need are a few things: SSOP-28 versions of the SX28AC (you can buy a stock of these on AliExpress nowadays for pennies), a 50MHz 3-pin resonator (either SMD or THT if you're lazy), and x2 39K resistors (0603, SMD).

magic3.jpg

Do whatever you want with these files, I cannot care less. Modify it, re-distribute, any other form of modifications. If you are installing this for your own personal use, do this at your own risk, no warranties are implied. The creator is not held responsible for any unexpected damages.

Attachments

• magic3pcb.zip
    32.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by SylverReZ,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Darksabre72

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah I'm always interested in seeing (and one day try) out these small projects, and with this project and (I have just looked) the ps1 modchip, you will go far. if you want you can see about spreading it into x or reddit for more people to notice your other projects.
X and Reddit aren't my cup of tea, I see them as a negative part of social media imo. I do tend to share my works over via Discord and other places to get them noticed as best as I could.

Reactions: Darksabre72

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
X and Reddit aren't my cup of tea, I see them as a negative part of social media imo. I do tend to share my works over via Discord and other places to get them noticed as best as I could.
oh ok well wherever works for you :yay: i do hope you get more praise and wish you luck, and if i ever install that chip and other projects i will definitely give you a shout out.

Reactions: SylverReZ

2k_intentions

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Magic 3 was created sometime around 2002-03 for the Sony PlayStation 2. Its driven by a Parallax SX28AC microcontroller, a very powerful microcontroller at the time, ...

Do you think it would be possible create a PS2 modchip based on Rasp Pico ?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think it would be possible create a PS2 modchip based on Rasp Pico ?
A few weeks ago, I was speaking to one of the devs who worked on the DMS and Crystal family of chips. They said that its possible by providing an interface for the SSBUS and Mecha-DSP bus.

2k_intentions

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A few weeks ago, I was speaking to one of the devs who worked on the DMS and Crystal family of chips. They said that its possible by providing an interface for the SSBUS and Mecha-DSP bus.

Thanks, here in Brazil we have Thunder Pro 2 (discontinued) which has several addons like boot from USB (DEV3) but today it costs a lot, maybe someday a RPico project may be possible

https://www.vtec.com.br/thunderproii/especs.htm

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, here in Brazil we have Thunder Pro 2 (discontinued) which has several addons like boot from USB (DEV3) but today it costs a lot, maybe someday a RPico project may be possible

https://www.vtec.com.br/thunderproii/especs.htm
Perhaps that can be considered in the near future. The Pico is very powerful to do anything these days and I'd love to see some huge progress of this happening.

The Thunder Pro is a very interesting chip indeed, I've seen what the interface looks like and the hardware itself. Very clean and stable. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?