Make in game home menu look like the old one

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where do I place the theme? the sdcafiine folder?
The themes are set up so that you can just place the root sdcafiine folder that is in each theme's .zip file and place it in the root of your SD card, and they're SDCafiine ready (for a US system, the title ID of the folder inside the SDCafiine folder would need to be changed for other region Wii Us.

Reactions: godreborn

Verygafanhot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
hmm im trying to load the Home Menu mod with Sd Cafiine But it does not load it for some reason

I was goin to inject it (yes i have tiramissu) but im just too afraid to brick my wii u ;)
imagem_2022-04-26_185238714.png

Edit: Oh wait i almost forgot... I can boot FTPU (Hmm still too afraid lol)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm im trying to load the Home Menu mod with Sd Cafiine But it does not load it for some reason

I was goin to inject it (yes i have tiramissu) but im just too afraid to brick my wii u ;)View attachment 307633
I don't know if this is needed or even helpful, but try downloading the versions.bin that's equivalent to that home menu. then put that in the sdcafiine folder.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, I tried loading the old in-game home menu via SDCafiine, putting the old hbm.pack in it's proper corresponding folder for the later title ID for the current in-game home menu, everything is definitely in the correct place, but the old version just isn't popping up. When I copy all of the files and not just HBM.pack, SDCafiine returns a -3 error.

I was goin to inject it (yes i have tiramissu) but im just too afraid to brick my wii u ;)View attachment 307633

Edit: Oh wait i almost forgot... I can boot FTPU (Hmm still too afraid lol)
I would highly recommend against that. If we can't get it to appear via SDCafiine, then it's pretty much guaranteed that placing them the same place in the actual system isn't going to yield any different results, and potentially could lead to a brick.

My money says that we can't simply insert the old in-game home menu and it will just appear that way again. What we probably can do though is edit the current version to fit a menu theme, and maybe we can manually move elements around the current menu in Switch Toolbox to get it to look similar to the old version? Not sure how much of that is possible, but I bet at the least we can theme the current version, I'm gonna experiment with that.

Verygafanhot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What we probably can do though is edit the current version to fit a menu theme, and maybe we can manually move elements around the current menu in Switch Toolbox to get it to look similar to the old version? Not sure how much of that is possible, but I bet at the least we can theme the current version, I'm gonna experiment with that.
i've been moving some files from the hbm.pack to the hbm2-2.pack because the hbm.pack from the old and new version is the almost the same so i think used to load some files that didn't change with the update (Like the cursor...)

Last edited by Verygafanhot,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've been moving some files from the hbm.pack to the hbm2-2.pack because the hbm.pack from the old and new version is the almost the same so i think used to load some files that didn't change with the update (Like the cursor...)
Yes, I just made a change to an element in the modern hbm.pack and that didn't show up either, it may be that hbm.pack was replaced by both the HBM2-1.pack and HBM2-2.pack. That probably doesn't bode to well for getting that exact original layout working again if that is the case, But I'm certainly not saying it's impossible. Gonna try themeing with these 2-1 and 2-2 files now.

Verygafanhot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I just made a change to an element in the modern hbm.pack and that didn't show up either, it may be that hbm.pack was replaced by both the HBM2-1.pack and HBM2-2.pack. That probably doesn't bode to well for getting that exact original layout working again if that is the case, But I'm certainly not saying it's impossible. Gonna try themeing with these 2-1 and 2-2 files now.
Ok! Good Luck!

Btw i think it's not working because the home menu is loaded into memory on startup
And SdCafiine works by giving the modded file when it is requested... As the home menu is in the memory since startup it doesn't get replaced (That's why the idea of injecting it came to my mind)

(Im not sure if it's really only loaded in the startup... but that's what i think)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit, changes in those files don't seem to be taking hold either. Maybe SDCafiine isn't going to reflect these changes for whatever reason. Maybe they would have to be permanently changed in order to properly work, or maybe I'm just doing something wrong here. Regardless, I'm not gonna be attempting to check these changes via permanent mod, that's just too risky, especially since while I know we can recover from a system menu theme brick, I'm not sure if we could recover from a similar brick from this if it were to occur.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked. I don't know if this is a problem, but the os is in the code folder. that's for versions 5.0.0 to 5.4.0, which I think you said the old version existed:

1651001349812.png

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked. I don't know if this is a problem, but the os is in the code folder. that's for versions 5.0.0 to 5.4.0, which I think you said the old version existed:

View attachment 307647
Well I had moved on from the old version and downloaded the latest version and was just testing if I could theme the in-game home menu by making changes to the current files, and they simply weren't showing up in game, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think Nintendo made too many under the hood changes for this to work. Its essentially a different menu where the menus we have been tampering with are upto date with the console and we have only been making texture and icon swaps to it really.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo made too many under the hood changes for this to work. Its essentially a different menu where the menus we have been tampering with are upto date with the console and we have only been making texture and icon swaps to it really.
Well even messing with the upto date in game home menu isn't allowing for texture and icon swaps to appear either. So there seems to be something else up.

Maybe I'll go directly into my Wii U via FTP and grab these files later instead of trusting that the one JNUSTool grabbed is the latest version, and then testing any changes to those files in SDCafiine.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, probably, I know old rco files on the ps3 cause soft bricks or weird things to happen iirc, so you have to adopt the changes to new ones. it's a pita too, to reverse it.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...