Hacking Marcan's opinion about the Wii's software architecture.

Sonic4Ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It isn't very optimistic if you want my opinion.

http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/

unsure.gif

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I don't think it was posted, anyway thank you for keeping us up to date.
I read it, and i saw that usb mouse is supported, is that true ?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I think there is USB mouse support in gc-linux, thanks to linux HID drivers

on-topic: why does marcan always sound like as he knows better at coding that anyone else, even better that nintendo engineers
rolleyes.gif

his rant could be summarized in one sentence: "nintendo didn't hire me, here's the result"

I personnaly think that this software architecture was done on purpose and not only for retrocompatibilty reasons but also for simplicity reasons...
this had to be kept as simple as possible in the eye of customers, no patch to released games, easy-to-use "channels" and for developpers, an easy-to-use SDK that is only a straight update from the GCN one and will cost as less as possible to devellop and sell to licensed companies.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
All this rant is because they can´t release patch for older games, *sigh* blame Nintendo to keep high quality assurance and force developers to release bug free games from the start. I seriously think that patches are for lazy developers. He really want an update for older games anyway? Zelda TP WiiSpeak support is so necessary, evil Nintendo. Of course let´s pretend there no cost involved.

Stop kidding yourself, you know that Nintendo always do its things in its own way, they never could go for a Me Too 360 OS.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OriginalHamster said:
All this rant is because they can´t release patch for older games, *sigh* blame Nintendo to keep high quality assurance and force developers to release bug free games from the start. I seriously think that patches are for lazy developers.
True that. Games like Fable II on the Xbox360 should've never needed a patch in the first place.

AkGBA

Nope
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Come on. Who here likes the way the wii handles friends.
It's a disaster. Marcan's point is just the fact that it will never be updated. Wii's architecture is done in a way that doesn't allow updating for older games.
Come on, don't you think it really sucks?

QUOTE said:
why does marcan always sound like as he knows better at coding that anyone else

Better than us in any way.
Come on, without Team Twiizers, where would the wii homebrew scene be ?

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
maybe it's a little bit ot but has anybody heard from nuke the creator of gecko? the last thing i heard abotu 1.5 weeks ago was that he's going to stop every wii developement and will never come back into the scene. any news what's going on?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
raulpica said:
OriginalHamster said:
All this rant is because they can´t release patch for older games, *sigh* blame Nintendo to keep high quality assurance and force developers to release bug free games from the start. I seriously think that patches are for lazy developers.
True that. Games like Fable II on the Xbox360 should've never needed a patch in the first place.

Yep, console games shouldn't need bug fixes.. on a PC you have an almost infinite number of different variable combinations to test your game with (CPU brand, speed, memory, operational system, apps running on background, etc..), so, you can't protect it from everything. But on a console, everyone has the exact same hardware.. bug fixing patches on console games are ridiculous and shouldn't exist.

On the other hand, patches to add new features and compatibility with newer accessories are cool and welcome.. thought, this kind of thing didn't exist on consoles until this gen. What Nintendo did with the Wii was getting everything last gen had and adding the stuff that worked on the DS like the online mode, a different, more intuitive control schemes and interface, they completely ignored what Microsoft and Sony were doing at the time, but.. well.. the Wii was a big gamble, they did what they believed was right.. and it's working
tongue.gif

Also, the Wii's interface might not be the most complete one, but it is by far the easiest one to use, and that's what they were aiming at.

Sonic4Ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't really care about updates. A better SD card support, and WiiSpeak retrocompatibility, is the most interesting if you want my opinion.

CockroachMan said:
Also, the Wii's interface might not be the most complete one, but it is by far the easiest one to use, and that's what they were aiming at.

By the way, he's not talking about the interface but about the architecture, i.e. how it's programmed and how it works.

eric_4_life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo used live for quality, but since the SNES, the company has gone downhill in terms of quality. And now, with the Wii and the DS, they've arrived to the point of having a console made as simple as possible in order to rack up as much money as possible with the least amount of effort. I can understand his rant, but the truth of the matter is, Nintendo has essentially lost contact with the hardcore crowd.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Marcan does it again.
Seriously, has anyone seen him smile ever? Or make a joke? I think he needs to try to look on the bright side of things more often.
IMO people tend to buy a console for what it does rather than what it might do at some time in the future if the manufacturer releases updates to add this or that new function.

@eric_4_life - I don't recall Nintendo ever pursuing the hardcore gamer. Their consoles have always tended towards cutesy graphics and relatively simple gameplay (although with a few exceptions). That's not really the market share they were looking for with the Wii which is why they didn't need to make it "next-gen" or HD.

jacklaidlaw

Trophies
XP
Country
nintendo should really have a wii premium where you get more powerful hardware and better menu system to entertain the hardcore gamers with normal wii aimed at kids and fat stay at home mums trying to get fit

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
jacklaidlaw said:
nintendo should really have a wii premium where you get more powerful hardware and better menu system to entertain the hardcore gamers with normal wii aimed at kids and fat stay at home mums trying to get fit

but hardcore gamers can buy an XBOX 360 or a PS3... Nintendo are doing just fine with the Wii, outselling both of those... If you try to please everyone, often you will fail.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Marcan said:
“slot LED blinks when you eject a disc” feature - try it when you’re playing Zelda and you’ll see that it doesn’t work, because it’s using the very old IOS9.

That's strange, I test my retail Zelda TP, and the slot LED blinks when I eject my disc.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Screemer said:
maybe it's a little bit ot but has anybody heard from nuke the creator of gecko? the last thing i heard abotu 1.5 weeks ago was that he's going to stop every wii developement and will never come back into the scene. any news what's going on?
Damn, bad news.
I was waiting for the release of GeckoOS 2.0...

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OriginalHamster said:
QUOTE said:
“slot LED blinks when you eject a disc” feature - try it when you’re playing Zelda and you’ll see that it doesn’t work, because it’s using the very old IOS9.

That's strange, I test my retail Zelda TP, and the slot LED blinks when I eject my disc.

load the game and edject disc during gameplay.

QUOTE(Screemer @ Mar 2 2009, 03:38 PM)
Damn, bad news.
I was waiting for the release of GeckoOS 2.0...
me too...

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After reading his article... the only thing I can say is wow... at least reading it I didn't have to hear him studdering every other word, and speaking like that MicroMachines guy...

as for the actual content... yea, damn it... why didn't Nintendo make the Wii NON-Backwards compatible with the gamecube so they'd have to release updates every other day to get the old games to work!

I mean, even though the 360 has over a year on the Wii, why the hell isn't Nintendo making a completely new interface to copy the three sixt........ oh wait... they copied the Wii... nevermind...

That's one of the reasons I will never own a PS3 or 360. Every other frucking day, they are releaseing an update for backwards compatibility... notice the versions... 360 v.2.0.7357.0.... wow... can you toss a few more numbers in there! I can't wait till 2.0.7357.2 where they improve a single graphic file, and then make you pay $15 for a month of XBoxLive to download it, or your games wont work! WOOHOO!! Oh, and don't worry, it'll be the entire firmware agian, 400-500meg, not just the one PNG file which is like 45k!

Marcan, your just pissed that Nintendo didn't make it TOO easy for you to hack the Wii to do what you want... it doesn't have a harddrive like the 360 and PS3.

Name ONE Gamecube game that won't boot up. Name ONE Wii game that won't boot up??

Now, go to your 360, or PS3, and try to boot up some rare obscure game from PS1/PS2 or XBox1... yea... won't work!

Thanks for the Homebrew Channel... now, piss off...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: although a bit ashamed