Hacking Marcan's opinion about the Wii's software architecture.

AkGBA

Nope
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you're all missing Marcan's point...
He doesn't say the wii sucks (why would he work on it?), he just says that it could have been better done, more user friendly.
Worst part of it, it will never be able to be that user friendly. Nintendo's fault.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
It's sad, but I think everything what Marcan said was true...ex: they hyped the "great" Wii-Online features so much...and what we've got? Nothing...now I know why...
frown.gif

Oh, and like Akghar said...if he wouldn't like the Wii, why would he work for it...he never said the Wii is shit, he only wrote what Nintendo have done wrong...read close, please...

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think everything Nintendo did was perfect the way they did it.

512MB Flash NAND RAM... awesome idea... no upgrading to a bigger HD, losing your saves, and having customer support lines tied up with help upgrading...

SD Support... Ok, I'll admit, this I'd like to see... more than just what is there now... which is easily done with 3.5 or 3.6... simple update to the firmware. They know we have ways of hacking it, and putting whatever we like on it, why not just do it already Nintendo... really...

Filesystem... yea, why not just make it FAT with easily recognizable file types... I mean, Microsoft and Sony did that... right? right??

Nintendo can easily re-write the entire firmware from the ground up, call it 4.0, and we'd be back to step 1 getting homebrew and softmods to work agian... but they don't because the current firmware is STABLE! How many times has the systemmenu crashed? not just your Wii, but every Wii ever made ever... I'll tell you... ZERO! PS3, 360, care to chime in? Oh, what's that I hear... crickets... figures...

Hacking the PS2/360/XBox1... all relatively simple compared to the Wii...

Let me fix the second paragraph for him...

Marcan @ Feb 28 2009 said:
The Wii’s software architecture sucks for me to make it the way I want it

That's the exact reason Nintendo made the firmware incohearant... not because they were lazy, or "n00b" programmers... they want it to be confusing as hell so people can't easily hack into it and change it!

abel009

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
zidane_genome said:

512MB Flash NAND RAM... awesome idea... no upgrading to a bigger HD, losing your saves, and having customer support lines tied up with help upgrading...

SD Support... Ok, I'll admit, this I'd like to see... more than just what is there now... which is easily done with 3.5 or 3.6... simple update to the firmware. They know we have ways of hacking it, and putting whatever we like on it, why not just do it already Nintendo... really...

Filesystem... yea, why not just make it FAT with easily recognizable file types... I mean, Microsoft and Sony did that... right? right??

Nintendo can easily re-write the entire firmware from the ground up, call it 4.0, and we'd be back to step 1 getting homebrew and softmods to work agian... but they don't because the current firmware is STABLE! How many times has the systemmenu crashed? not just your Wii, but every Wii ever made ever... I'll tell you... ZERO! PS3, 360, care to chime in? Oh, what's that I hear... crickets... figures...

That's the exact reason Nintendo made the firmware incohearant... not because they were lazy, or "n00b" programmers... they want it to be confusing as hell so people can't easily hack into it and change it!

Well, i think nintendo created something simple but at the same time created something difficult.

But i think the wii is a pretty intresting pice but at the same time a last gen console, the only thing that would make the wii new gen will be the motion controllers, and thats it? anything missing?

OFF TOPIC
its really sad to see how Big N has lost touch with its hardcore gamers (including myself).
the only think that makes me kind of happy is the conduit and thats it?\
its really sad to see how great visuals games or good online play games are not coming from big N.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
eric_4_life said:
Nintendo has essentially lost contact with the hardcore crowd.

Nonsense.

A hardcore gamer is someone that owns as many systems as they can, and plays as many types of different games as they have time for. The Wii would appeal to a hardcore gamer because it offers a different gaming experience, and a hardcore gamer should be all about having different gaming experiences. Let me guess, do you believe that Sony and Microsoft are in touch with the hardcore crowd? I disagree. They're in touch with the MAINSTREAM crowd, pandering to the folks who will buy incremental upgrades to the latest FPS or sports franchises. They're in touch with what's cool, and in demand for certain market segments--not with the hardcore. This continual nonsense I read about Nintendo losing touch with the 'hardcore gamer' is insane. It's hardcore GAMER, i.e. someone who plays games, not a system or brand or genre whore. A 'Mature' or 'Teen' rated game does not make it hardcore. The content of any game doesn't determine whether or not it's hardcore!

Ugh.

Dr.Tenma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
eric_4_life said:
Nintendo used live for quality, but since the SNES, the company has gone downhill in terms of quality. And now, with the Wii and the DS, they've arrived to the point of having a console made as simple as possible in order to rack up as much money as possible with the least amount of effort. I can understand his rant, but the truth of the matter is, Nintendo has essentially lost contact with the hardcore crowd.
You're right, but i think this started since the wii was out...nintendo was announcing many new games for the wii. But actually, i don't see any of these announced games on the wii...They only aim to make much money(wiifit, wiishit, metroid remake, ...). This is annoying, you'll never see anymore good/real nintendo games
hate2.gif

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

You HAVE to be a fanboy. You just have to. No one can read that article, and respond like you did, unless you were blinded by fanboy hate. He's saying, the Wii is fucked in terms of futureproofing, because of the way Nintendo did stuff, he said NOTHING about the system menu being unstable. He never complained about the Wii's architecture hacking wise, and you're way too hard of a fanboy if you think the 360 is easier to hack than the Wii (softmod ? Hack.) I think you need some weed, then go re-read the article.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
zidane_genome said:

In this point, I'm 90% not agreed with you...sorry, but this was the biggest failure...I have Onslaught downloaded, and now I have 500 Blocks left..great..it's my only WiiWare/VC-Title...
dry.gif
. I'm agreed that they don't need a HD, but SDHC should at least be possible...

I hope that this will happen..if so, 32GB-SDHC, here we come
smile.gif
. But Chances for this are around 15%, that this will happen...(We're speaking about Nintendo...
dry.gif
)

Simple answer: NEVER. You're speaking about Nintendo, forgot that?
tongue.gif

Actually, 3.2 has still small bugs for me...(Ex: Sometimes cutted Start-up sound, WiiLight stays enabled for no reason (I have no Mail..), also had at least 3 Crashes...(switchig from Channel to menu to fast...)

Nintendo is happy how the Wii currently is. It still sells great, there's no need for a make-over. And even if there would one needed, they won't do one...they're realy proud about the actual design with the Channels. Face it, nearly all of these Wishes are "Hardcoregamer-Wishes"...and I have the feeling that Nintendo won't support Hardcore-Gamers with the Wii...maybe in the Wii 2...but not in this generation, sorry...I'm realy dissapointed of Nintendo
frown.gif

So, and now I'm out of this discussion
smile.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1, I'm not a fanboy... I have a PS2, an XBox1, a Wii, and a Sega Saturn... so, who am I a fanboy of?

I still actively play Halo 2, am playing Katamary Damacey (sp?), a Saturn game no one here has ever heard of, and Tales of Symphonia 2.

I use my XBox more than anything since I have XBMC installed. I've softmodded all my systems (undid the Wii since I got a modchip). The PS2 was the hardest, then the Wii, then the XBox1. I've modded a 360, and it was easy as HELL... all you have to do is pop the drive into a PC, and boom... done... yea, so hard! wow!

2, I think you misunderstood my Filesystem part... Marcan thinks the the file structure is completely inefficient, and 'n00bish'... while in fact, I think the exact opposite. Take a look at the PS3 filesystem... it looks the same... it's made that way from day 1. make it confusing as hell... pull out your shiny Decoder Ring, set the dial right, and poof! everything makes perfect sense!

It's done like this, so hackers without the decoder ring don't understand it.

magick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woah, I want some of what zidane_genome is smoking. Especially that file structure part.

or maybe it's not he's a nintendo fanboy, he's a marcan antifanboy! hah

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most people here are missing the point. The article is titled "why the wii will never get better" and not "why the wii sucks XFD"

One thing this makes apparent is that we'll probably be fine hanging around on firmware 3.2 because future updates likely won't bring must-have features due to the nature of the software setup.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
After reading his article... the only thing I can say is wow... at least reading it I didn't have to hear him studdering every other word, and speaking like that MicroMachines guy...

as for the actual content... yea, damn it... why didn't Nintendo make the Wii NON-Backwards compatible with the gamecube so they'd have to release updates every other day to get the old games to work!

I mean, even though the 360 has over a year on the Wii, why the hell isn't Nintendo making a completely new interface to copy the three sixt........ oh wait... they copied the Wii... nevermind...

That's one of the reasons I will never own a PS3 or 360. Every other frucking day, they are releaseing an update for backwards compatibility... notice the versions... 360 v.2.0.7357.0.... wow... can you toss a few more numbers in there! I can't wait till 2.0.7357.2 where they improve a single graphic file, and then make you pay $15 for a month of XBoxLive to download it, or your games wont work! WOOHOO!! Oh, and don't worry, it'll be the entire firmware agian, 400-500meg, not just the one PNG file which is like 45k!

Marcan, your just pissed that Nintendo didn't make it TOO easy for you to hack the Wii to do what you want... it doesn't have a harddrive like the 360 and PS3.

Name ONE Gamecube game that won't boot up. Name ONE Wii game that won't boot up??

Now, go to your 360, or PS3, and try to boot up some rare obscure game from PS1/PS2 or XBox1... yea... won't work!

Thanks for the Homebrew Channel... now, piss off...

great to see you back on fire zidane
wink.gif

I'm +1 to all you say there!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fishears said:
zidane_genome said:
as for the actual content... yea, damn it... why didn't Nintendo make the Wii NON-Backwards compatible with the gamecube so they'd have to release updates every other day to get the old games to work! huh? all the good xbox games work, and they focus on good new stuff...how is B.C. even relevant?

I mean, even though the 360 has over a year on the Wii, why the hell isn't Nintendo making a completely new interface to copy the three sixt........ oh wait... they copied the Wii... nevermind...by copying one-two of the things that makes the wii unique, they were that much closer to copying the entire FIXED NUMBER of things that make the wii unique, that was the point, its not gonna increase

That's one of the reasons I will never own a PS3 or 360. Every other frucking day, they are releaseing an update for backwards compatibility...
Just plain wrong, 360 doesnt release BC updates anymore, they stopped, and PS3 either supports 99% of all PS1/PS2, or just PS1 depending on the model,
I wish the wii had the capability to let me play LAN Double Dash, but it probably never will, whereas PS3 can have FFXI fully installed on hard drive

notice the versions... 360 v.2.0.7357.0.... wow... can you toss a few more numbers in there! I can't wait till 2.0.7357.2 where they improve a single graphic file, and then make you pay $15 for a month [15 for 3 months or 50 for a year?] of XBoxLive to download it, or your games wont work! Not true, some EXTRA content is just left out. WOOHOO!! Oh, and don't worry, it'll be the entire firmware agian, 400-500meg, not just the one PNG file which is like 45k! [HUH?]

Marcan, your just pissed that Nintendo didn't make it TOO easy for you to hack the Wii to do what you want... it doesn't have a harddrive like the 360 and PS3.
dude, with bootmii people will be able to do whatever they want with the usb capabilities, including HDD

Name ONE Gamecube game that won't boot up. REALLY? youre back to BC? Name ONE Wii game that won't boot up?? [well I would hope that no system wouldnt play one of its games, you can bypass updates on both if you know the right tricks]

Now, go to your 360, or PS3, and try to boot up some rare obscure game from PS1/PS2 or XBox1... yea... won't work! WRONG, WORKS FINE FOR PS3, and RARE/OBSURE Xbox games are rare/obscure because they suck, so who cares?

Thanks for the Homebrew Channel... now, piss off...not much to say, just a douche remark in general.

great to see you back on fire zidane
wink.gif

I'm +1 to all you say there! WHY?! you don't seem stupid.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii is good....the wii won't get better....it's "good" won't be "good enough" for everyone eventually...possibly sooner rather than later....Marcan was merely complaining that a system with so much potential peaked early, and that it was seemingly "intentional", in that no effort was made to avoid this fairly obvious situation....it's not a system built for the users forever praise, its easy to develop on and it prints money....next up.....Wii2, printing 100's instead of 50's....possibly for a shorter length of time? wait and see.

as it usually does, it come down to the frequency of first party titles, and the dependability of worthwhile third parties, nintendo always banks on these two items, and saw no reason to adjust that strategy....I love the wii, people love the wii, the wii is on top.....the bigger they are, the harder they fall.....things to think about.

and then I think...who cares? it's a video game system :-)....I've never owned any that "improved" system-wise before this generation...do they really need to start? some would say they do, Im not sold though.

also just an fyi at an inaccuracy in the original blog, wiipower has shown that game "patches" work fine on wii, with his toy.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
The only main problems I have with the Wii is:
- 12 Number Friend Codes.
- Can't upgrade 512MB hardware.
- Online isn't that great but since it is free, you can't really moan.

The Wii System Menu know is a lot better than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It is simple, nice and easy to use. I'm still having trouble getting use to my Xbox 360's Menu Interface.

Also at least the Wii has wireless built in it. I had to pay £60 FOR A BLOODY F***ING WIRELESS ADAPTER for the Xbox 360! WTF! I could have brought another game with that money.
frown.gif

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really, really would like to see a universal friend code system channel or something to REALLY ease the pain of writing codes down.

I don't mind having the system like it is now and nothing needs to be improved.

It plays games and does them well, what more could you ask? I have a Ps3 and I don't give a crap about 99% of the updates because they involve meaningless additions like NEW CODEC AUDIO OR VIDEO FILES WHEN YOU USE A USB TO PLAY MOVIES!

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
1, I'm not a fanboy... I have a PS2, an XBox1, a Wii, and a Sega Saturn... so, who am I a fanboy of?

I still actively play Halo 2, am playing Katamary Damacey (sp?), a Saturn game no one here has ever heard of, and Tales of Symphonia 2.

I use my XBox more than anything since I have XBMC installed. I've softmodded all my systems (undid the Wii since I got a modchip). The PS2 was the hardest, then the Wii, then the XBox1. I've modded a 360, and it was easy as HELL... all you have to do is pop the drive into a PC, and boom... done... yea, so hard! wow!
I'd say you're a fanboy of Nintendo, only current gen system you list.
I don't know anything about PS2 modding. How did you end up softmodding your Xbox to say it was easier? You know there were 2 game save exploits (007 and MechAssault IIRC) that work exactly like the TP hack. Load a game save that causes an overflow and runs your code, which for the Xbox was probably the Evox dashboard with apps to install something more permanent. No opening of the console at all, so easier than a 360 IMHO.

QUOTE(RadioShadow @ Mar 2 2009, 05:22 PM) The only main problems I have with the Wii is:
- 12 Number Friend Codes.
- Can't upgrade 512MB hardware.
- Online isn't that great but since it is free, you can't really moan.

The Wii System Menu know is a lot better than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It is simple, nice and easy to use. I'm still having trouble getting use to my Xbox 360's Menu Interface.
The friend code system is ridiculous. If it was just 1 code then ok, fine, but a different code for every damn game. WTF are you thinking. It's like having my telephone number change depending on what TV channel I'm watching.

If I was a heavy online gamer, chances are, I would not own one. The online is seriously lacking even compared to live on Xbox1.

While I don't own a 360, I've played with one, and don't understand what's so complex about the menu? Is there something I'm not picking up on? I mean I don't expect it to be point and click like Wii's sysmenu is, considering we're talking about a system that can download movies from netflix, play video from your pc over network, dvd movies, show info from your live account, and whatever else I don't remember.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow