GCN Mario Kart Double Dash not working

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, today I bought Mario Kart Double Dash for the GCN, I put the disk on the GameCube, it takes a time to read, and gives me an error, I tried on my Wii, same thing...

The disk doesn't have a single scratch, what could be the problem?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dirty centre of disc? Give the 'hole' a good clean with some alcamahol. Vodka will do.... Seriously!

I was gonna suggest the laser but if its happening on wii also then not that. Either a dirty disc or dare i say it... Copy/fake disc??

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the disk seems legit, even the error screen has the mario kart double dash style
16729370549368095424051678833832.jpg

I cleaned the whole disk, and the same thing happens, I spent 35€ on this thing... I can return it, but I don't wan't to haha
Post automatically merged:

Here's a picture of the disk and the case, so you can take your conclusions

Attachments

• 16729372218163419480142417081890.jpg
    16729372218163419480142417081890.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 64

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you take a better picture of the disc? Looks like damage in the centre circle. And since I don't know where you live... Def right region lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230105_185427.png
    IMG_20230105_185427.png
    526 KB · Views: 49

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you should rip the game with CleanRip on the Wii, it will error out somewhere during the process if it's corrupted/ damaged. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do other than asking for a refund, or throwing it in the trash (if the physical damage is unrepairable).

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ah sorry man. I would at least ask the store for a replacement as they clearly didn't test it before sale.
I can ask for a refund, they told me I can ask for a refund in 2 days, I'll go there on saturday, they usually don't test the GameCube games, maybe they don't have one, I don't know.
I'm actually lucky, because I also bought another GameCube game, but at least, it works.

Today I spent 50€ on games, and this one was the more expensive of them...

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, you should rip the game with CleanRip on the Wii, it will error out somewhere during the process if it's corrupted/ damaged. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do other than asking for a refund, or throwing it in the trash (if the physical damage is unrepairable).
It gave an error...

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you can see the damage on the label side, it's almost certainly a damaged data layer. If it doesn't boot, it's a broken disc. Given that it successfully starts up before throwing Double Dash's own error screen, it's certainly a wrecked data layer. On the plus side, if you can use CleanRip, you can use Nintendont. (Which I would suggest for playing Double Dash even with a retail disc, because LAN support)

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi!
I don't have the disk anymore, I returned it.
Probably the best.
Sadly I missed this thread. It would have been nice to have a really high resolution and sharp picture of both sides (taking pictures of optical discs is a pain!)

If you can see the damage on the label side, it's almost certainly a damaged data layer. If it doesn't boot, it's a broken disc. Given that it successfully starts up before throwing Double Dash's own error screen, it's certainly a wrecked data layer. On the plus side, if you can use CleanRip, you can use Nintendont. (Which I would suggest for playing Double Dash even with a retail disc, because LAN support)
That's for CDs. GC/Wii discs are DVDs which means the data layer is right in the middle. (Yes, I know that they are not DVDs according to the standard and sometimes are called Nintendo Optical Discs, but for the sake of simplicity…)
======

In some cases it is impossible to see any damage on a disc… and it still won't work – or the other way round: it looks hopeless and the drive doesn't see the slightest issues.
While that crack in the center isn't nice, I doubt this is problematic as such (no data there). Such cracks could eventually lead to oxygen or even fungi finding their way in, which will lead to premature failure.

Ultimately only a full read cycle can verify the data integrity of a disc – not the human eye. I know of no method to judge the quality of a GC/Wii DVD (like measuring Pi/Po errors for standard DVDs which some PC drives can). Visible scratches can – to some extent be treated with resurfacing methods (replacing few fatal scratches with millions(!) of tiny ones). Invisible damage → I would say: Exitus.

Reactions: impeeza and DuduMil

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL