OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
@Jayro i have to report one bug/problem that i noticed when i tried to boot the Active Data Studio iso file from the medicat 20.12, in UEFI mode :(
You could try making the drive as GPT format NTFS, and try again.

XMCQCX

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you Jayro for this wonderful program. I have followed the instructions, but I'm not able to make it work. First, When I boot on the USB I see the ventoy menu, not the colourful medicat menu. Second, When I'm in the desktop environment of the different programs I get an error when I click on the programs icons. The drive or network connection that the shortcut ... refers to is unavailable. What did I do wrong ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Jayro for this wonderful program. I have followed the instructions, but I'm not able to make it work. First, When I boot on the USB I see the ventoy menu, not the colourful medicat menu. Second, When I'm in the desktop environment of the different programs I get an error when I click on the programs icons. The drive or network connection that the shortcut ... refers to is unavailable. What did I do wrong ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Try remaking the drive using GPT in Ventoy2Disk instead of MBR, and see if that makes a difference. Some computers are picky with their UEFI support and demand GPT.

Reactions: XMCQCX

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Been working on this VHD Installation of Windows 10 all afternoon. I even including a small handful of tools to get people started, and people can add their own tools to the toolbox. Not sure when I'll release this, but it's far from done. Made a lot of progress on it today though.
Best of all, it will be bootable from Ventoy with the VHD plugin, as well as iODD ODE drives and Zalman's ODE equivalents. So it will be usable for many people. It boots via UEFI. I've taken great care to remove telemetry, remove all the bloated trial/crapware apps and games, leaving a fully-functional Windows 10 installation with a lighter footprint. It boots at a decent speed from USB 3.0/3.1 (5Gb/s) SSD in my iODD 2531. I have installed .NET v5.0, 4.8, 3.5, 2.0, etc... as well as VC Redistributables from 2005 to 2019. Windows Update was left in, to avoid update problems. It's got just the few apps you see in the start menu, because I encourage you guys to install whatever else YOU need. This may replace Mini Windows 10 someday, but not right now. (Maybe in a 64GB build way, WAY down the road... But we'll see.) PowerShell is there, Chrome, MS Store, VLC, I really didn't want to gimp the OS any more than I had to. System Restore is disabled, but can easily be turned back on if you need it. The Pagefile is only set up to 1GB, but you can adjust that too, to your needs. The OS is very responsive, and works just as good as the native Windows 10 OS on my crap-tastic Walmart laptop. Only my HP laptop's drivers have been installed, so it already has Ryzen drivers, and Snappy Driver Installer Origin is also included, to help you get your hardware working. This has full networking support left in as well, so there's no annoying "PENetwork" to fuss with getting online. I guess I'm just getting tired of the WinPE limitations, so this is a great alternative, at the cost of file size. a cheap 32GB USB drive can be had these days for $10 USD or less though, so 20GB isn't very big these days really. (I don't recommend using this from an SD card, but if you do, make sure it's at least an A2 card to minimize lag spikes.)

Desktop preview:
MediCat VHD.png

Jayro's Toolbox preview:
Jayro's Toolbox.png

Last edited by Jayro,

BastardFromNowhere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Been working on this VHD Installation of Windows 10 all afternoon. I even including a small handful of tools to get people started, and people can add their own tools to the toolbox. Not sure when I'll release this, but it's far from done. Made a lot of progress on it today though.
Best of all, it will be bootable from Ventoy with the VHD plugin, as well as iODD ODE drives and Zalman's ODE equivalents. So it will be usable for many people. It boots via UEFI. I've taken great care to remove telemetry, remove all the bloated trial/crapware apps and games, leaving a fully-functional Windows 10 installation with a lighter footprint. It boots at a decent speed from USB 3.0/3.1 (5Gb/s) SSD in my iODD 2531. I have installed .NET v5.0, 4.8, 3.5, 2.0, etc... as well as VC Redistributables from 2005 to 2019. Windows Update was left in, to avoid update problems. It's got just the few apps you see in the start menu, because I encourage you guys to install whatever else YOU need. This may replace Mini Windows 10 someday, but not right now. (Maybe in a 64GB build way, WAY down the road... But we'll see.) PowerShell is there, Chrome, MS Store, VLC, I really didn't want to gimp the OS any more than I had to. System Restore is disabled, but can easily be turned back on if you need it. The Pagefile is only set up to 1GB, but you can adjust that too, to your needs. The OS is very responsive, and works just as good as the native Windows 10 OS on my crap-tastic Walmart laptop. Only my HP laptop's drivers have been installed, so it already has Ryzen drivers, and Snappy Driver Installer Origin is also included, to help you get your hardware working. This has full networking support left in as well, so there's no annoying "PENetwork" to fuss with getting online. I guess I'm just getting tired of the WinPE limitations, so this is a great alternative, at the cost of file size. a cheap 32GB USB drive can be had these days for $10 USD or less though, so 20GB isn't very big these days really. (I don't recommend using this from an SD card, but if you do, make sure it's at least an A2 card to minimize lag spikes.

Desktop preview:
View attachment 241098

Jayro's Toolbox preview:
View attachment 241097
Wow, this is a great idea! But this VHD will add it to the Medicat Boot menu, to replace mini win10? Or it will be an additionnal tool on an other exclusive usb key?

By the way great job, your tool made me out of trouble so many times!

Happy new year too

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is a great idea! But this VHD will add it to the Medicat Boot menu, to replace mini win10? Or it will be an additionnal tool on an other exclusive usb key?

By the way great job, your tool made me out of trouble so many times!

Happy new year too
I'm thinking just a separate tool for now, but it CAN be add to MediCat USB by anyone that wants it, and it will just magically show up and work, once I impliment it in the ventoy.json file. But VHD is super universal to boot, so I feel like it will be a good success and addition.

And a happy new year to you as well!

Last edited by Jayro,

Pr0xiimiti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

For the past 2 versions of Medicat (never used this prior) I have been trying to get Windows Mini to boot but it just will not boot. When I attempt to boot up windows mini, I get either the error (of which i took a screenshot of) where it states that I did not have enough ram which is impossible as my laptop has 32GB or I get a graphical error where all i see is a distorted graphic. Can anyone please help?

Attachments

• 20210109_075932.jpg
    20210109_075932.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by Pr0xiimiti,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello

For the past 2 versions of Medicat (never used this prior) I have been trying to get Windows Mini to boot but it just will not boot. When I attempt to boot up windows mini, I get either the error (of which i took a screenshot of) where it states that I did not have enough ram which is impossible as my laptop has 32GB or I get a graphical error where all i see is a distorted graphic. Can anyone please help?
Have you tried it using memdisk enabled? How about in BIOS mode? And another thing you can try is making the USB stick as GPT instead of MBR in Ventoy2Disk. Hopefully one of those methods helps you out.

Pr0xiimiti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried it using memdisk enabled? How about in BIOS mode? And another thing you can try is making the USB stick as GPT instead of MBR in Ventoy2Disk. Hopefully one of those methods helps you out.
Hello Jayro,

I appreciate you for personally responding to my support inquiry! Dude, Medicat is freaking amazing. Prior to this I used to use Yumi for exactly this but yumi could be finicky sometimes and a lot of things just won't work with it. So Kudos to you for creating this awesome project! Sad that you do not accept donations as it's very much deserved! I know this is a labor of love for you. I also understand the legal trouble you can possibly get into if you did so i get it but the fact that you put this together as good as you did when no one else since hirenboot cd is amazing! Anyway I digress...

Now, responding to what you wrote, how would I be able to enable memdisk, I've never had to adjust anything in regards to memdisk so i don't know. Also what do you mean by "Bios mode"? I currently boot it via legacy mode as this won't boot while bios is in UEFI mode for some reason. Please elaborate?
I'll give GPT mode on ventoy a try and see.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pr0xiimiti,
Reactions: Jayro

Romano2K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello!

I have an old HP MicroServer N40L with a 500GB SSD and 3 x 2TB WD Red hard drives that I'd like to sell.

Right now it's running Arch Linux.

The Linux utility smartmontools reports a lot of errors on one of the harddrives and a few on another one.

Usually when I sell a hard drive, I check every sector with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo.

Is there a similar tool that allows me to make a report of my hard drives health inside MediCat USB?

Thank you in advance!

mrissaoussama

Hiuhbi32
Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Hello Jayro,

I appreciate you for personally responding to my support inquiry! Dude, Medicat is freaking amazing. Prior to this I used to use Yumi for exactly this but yumi could be finicky sometimes and a lot of things just won't work with it. So Kudos to you for creating this awesome project! Sad that you do not accept donations as it's very much deserved! I know this is a labor of love for you. I also understand the legal trouble you can possibly get into if you did so i get it but the fact that you put this together as good as you did when no one else since hirenboot cd is amazing! Anyway I digress...

Now, responding to what you wrote, how would I be able to enable memdisk, I've never had to adjust anything in regards to memdisk so i don't know. Also what do you mean by "Bios mode"? I currently boot it via legacy mode as this won't boot while bios is in UEFI mode for some reason. Please elaborate?

Thanks!
i think when the menu appears, there is text saying press f2 to boot with memdisk if i remember correctly

Reactions: BastardFromNowhere

Pr0xiimiti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried booting with mem disk by pushing F1 but no matter what windows mini will not boot, I've tried GPT & MBR but I can't get it to boot, I've forced text mode but things still don't boot. Windows mini isn't the only thing that does not boot. I don't think there is a solution for me at this point...what a shame, medicat is amazing but maybe my laptop isn't compatible which makes no sense as my laptop is brand new.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
I would try turning off secure boot support in Ventoy2Disk, and see if that helps, with secure boot disabled in your BIOS of course.

Usually when I sell a hard drive, I check every sector with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo.
Is there a similar tool that allows me to make a report of my hard drives health inside MediCat USB?
Thank you in advance!
Yes, Crystal Disk Info is in the PortableApps menu.

Love the MediCat! When will v21.01 be available for download and will it include Ventoy 1.0.32?
Thanks in advance

Yes, it will have Ventoy 1.0.32 included.
I never have a release window, it will be released when it's ready? I just make sure to release at least once a month, but the day is never consistent. But it WILL be out before February. :toot:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol