Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype could see the light of day...if you suppo

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My point was, that none of those game is a platformer. Neither Mega Man Legends nor Zelda, Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed or Beyond Good and Evil. They might have some platforming elements, but it isn't the main focus. There is a reason they are called action adventures instead. You assume because it has Mega Man in the title, it must be a platformer. It's not, just like the Battle Network games. The focus in the games is equipment improvement, ruin exploration and story events.
Most of your point are based on the assumption that the game is a platformer, which is wrong. I read someone else on the Internet, who wrote that Beyond Good and Evil is a horrible RPG and thus a bad game. That's what you sound like at the moment.
Also, how does the boss fight look anything like boss fights from platformer games?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tomb raider not a 3d platformer? News to me although I am increasingly inclined to forgo trying to bundle things into a genre as you seem to be as well (especially as thinks borrow elements from each other more and more). If we are going down that path action adventure is often considered to be something of a cop out genre name for games that do not really fit in other pigeon holes.

Watching that video reminded so much of just about every N64 3d platformer out there (see the Nintendo first party and Rare ones for the good examples) but not as a good as any of them with warning signs of it being one of the less than stellar ones. Equally the key feature uniting feature of all mainline megaman titles that I could see is fast reactions/precise movement and a tight engine to use it (rather than having to be of a genre) which were two things almost entirely absent from that; although they are absent from a lot of third person 3d movement games to no real ill effect it has been done in some (I refer again to Ninja Gaiden and possibly prince of persia). Again Capcom are quite free to redefine megaman to be all about the visual novel with a few quick time events in between if they want but looking at the things that came before and no such radical shift being claimed* those are the defining qualities for me and thus what I probably should use to judge things claiming to follow what came before.

*given I want to pull myself up on this I think I will have to say 3d where there was not really much before it not such a radical shift especially given several others have already made the leap to great effect.

"equipment improvement, ruin exploration and story events"
Story events I am not entirely sure about as a core component (the rather non linear nature of some versions being a detractor for that one) but I will leave it in and quite agree but it is also a staple of newer/many better 3d platformers and games in general though and as such fails to distract or even really change anything with regard to the point about precise movement using a tightly defined engine/move set.

Boss fights from platformer games... sure there were some like sonic adventure that were for want of a better term on rails (or quite literally on rails in Mecha-Bowser from mario sunshine) or chases but moving around in an enclosed arena (especially compared to the rest of the game) whittling down health via actions/techniques (hitting a point/stunning and hitting a point) would describe more than a few and maybe even the majority of 3d platformers out there. I agree such things also feature in the likes of Zelda which probably does not count as a straight up 3d platformer and even the FPS metroid games but if your point was an absence of them.... yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujR3bE997gA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5UO9vGCM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jIh_szguNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASNYrxdlpW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tEuN8KckTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaXwjoI2as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSdiGG76mtQ
Apologies for the less than stellar quality of most of these but I was mainly wishing to demonstrate a point

Reactions: 1 person

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well Tomb Raider has more platforming elements than my other examples, but I wouldn't call it a platformer. Yes Action Adventure is kind of an cop out genre, but that gives the developer the opportunity to try something new. When you expect a game to be of an certain genre, you also expect certain things to be in the game. And when they are missing or hardly present you will be disappointed and other features the game really focused on won't impress you.

I can understand when fans back then, who were expecting the classical gameplay in 3D, were disappointed, but by now it should be known that the Legends games play different.
I don't think the gameplay of the 2D games is even possible in 3D, because you can't always tell if the platform is close by or just very big. Maybe with stereoscopy it could work, but then you still need very good controls.
Again Capcom are quite free to redefine megaman to be all about the visual novel with a few quick time events in between if they want but looking at the things that came before and no such radical shift being claimed* those are the defining qualities for me and thus what I probably should use to judge things claiming to follow what came before.
Is this a reference to Super Adventure Rockman? :lol:
That game came out a few months before Rockman Dash.

About the boss fights. For me some typical elements in boss fights of 3D platformers are:
-avoid their attack sequence
-hit their weak spot at a certain time( or try to get behind them)
-use conspicuously placed objects
-you can only take a few hits
-he can only take a few hits
-use their attacks against them
In Legends the boss fight mostly consist of using lock on and shooting the boss, while avoiding its attacks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it was supposed to be a somewhat absurd example/suggestion... I did not know they had gone down that path. On the other hand all language classes ever taught me was that everything is a reference whether the author intended it intentionally, unintentionally or quite purposely did not so I guess I have to wear it.

Yeah the switch to the 3d has been long and painful when trying to translate concepts (see what has become of Sonic) and yeah we are probably still a few years out (or good control scheme) of being able to do it justice (I will save pondering of whether human beings are capable of thinking at speed or without the aid/use of spatial senses (proprioception and equilibrioception being the big two) all in three dimensions for another day).
For the most part though I tend to find it is not as much a lack of depth perception (such things usually being solved by a good level design/workaround mechanic like the rewind feature of the prince of persia series or a good camera/background) and most problems being bad level design (you need not highlight things but making your grab capable ledges use an almost identical texture to the straight up textures we have problems- Assassin's creed did it pretty well)

Equally I am always happy to see something new/different tried and if the badge action/adventure helps you get your idea past those pulling purse strings carry on. I guess in the end we are debating using slightly different definitions of the words involved which never helps but if you are going to tell me that the game in question was to be a game in the spirit of the, for want of a better term, megaman canon and as such something I should be upset about not seeing come to light you are going to need a very persuasive argument.

On an entirely different note and slightly further to the discussion of boss battles I had once wondered what would happen if such things were pursued to the logical extreme and then we got resonance of fate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBD5hAoA04o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus all bios are set up and usually includes at least 128gbs or 64
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but if your main goal is just to play n64 and GameCube you can save about $50 and have the portability option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but on 2 monitors at 4k. Its just want you want really, to each they own.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For a kids aspect Anbernic would be the better option they'd probably melt over the price on a good 4k display
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For that texasroo guy, I'd recommend the Spell and speak as his first system.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So they buy a pi5 kit for about $150 and say a 28" 4k display probably looking around $400 total
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man cave, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea, I have frogger arcade cabinet that I gutted and put a Pi4 then Pi5 into, but it never gets played much anymore, should sell it. Even when the kids come over, they don't want to play on it, just the xbox. TMNT and Simpson's arcade is still so fun on it, esp w 2 players.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna check out the new Garfield looks like garbage
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Can't wait to see the new "stick" that can actually play Ps3 or 360 games. I know they are getting close.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty didn't you see the new garfield?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah it's all animated I was hoping for some live action
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, yes i did
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, yes i did