Mega Man will be getting a live action movie

250px-Mega_Man_SSBU.png

Mario had one in the 1990s, Sonic the Hedgehog will be getting one next year, and soon to join the ranks of live action video game movies is Capcom's Blue Bomber, Mega Man. Simply titled Mega Man, it'll be written and directed by the partner team of Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, known for their work on "Paranormal Activity 4", as well as the MTV show "Catfish". Outside of the aforementioned, details are fairly light on what the movie will entail, or when it will release. This follows the recent release of Mega Man 11, the Mega Man X Collection, and the new CGI cartoon "Mega Man Fully Charged".

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that its popular Mega Man IP is scheduled to be adapted into a live-action Hollywood film for the first time.

Since Mega Man debuted on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987, the series secured its position as one of Capcom’s major brands, boasting cumulative sales of 32 million units worldwide (as of June 30, 2018). Mega Man gained a following due to the challenging gameplay that contrasted with the memorable design of its characters; in the 30 years following its launch, the series has spawned numerous spin-offs, which altogether still enjoy the support of a deeply passionate fan base, consisting of everyone from younger players to hardcore gamers alike. Further, the Mega Man brand has been utilized in a wide variety of mediums around the globe, such as in character merchandise, comic books, animated television shows and movies. Mega Man 11, the newest title in the series, was released on October 2, 2018 in North America and Europe and October 4 in Japan.

The feature film, tentatively titled MEGA MAN, will be written and directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, and is scheduled to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. Chernin Entertainment, responsible for the Planet of the Apes series, will be producing it with Masi Oka, of Heroes fame. Based on the influential and globally beloved Mega Man franchise, Capcom aims to appeal to a diverse audience, including not only game players but action movie fans as well, with an adaptation that maintains the world of the Mega Man games, while incorporating the grand production and entertainment value that Hollywood movies are known for.

Capcom proactively leverages its rich library of original content in film and screen adaptations in conjunction with its Single Content Multiple Usage strategy. In addition to the release of Hollywood film Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in 2017 (released December 2016 in Japan), Mega Man: Fully Charged, an animated television show, began airing in North America in August 2018.

Going forward, Capcom remains committed to increasing the brand value of its game content by maximizing the significant promotional effect of visual media.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They better make it look like this:

MegaMan2box.jpg
I'm sure it will look worse than that. Never understood why they keep making live action interpretations of games with cartoon/anime characters in them. I can understand it for series like Tomb Raider that attempt a somewhat more realistic aesthetic. I understand that good animation is expensive and time consuming, but a quality product should be important.

By the way, there was a live-action Megaman fan movie years ago and it was so uncanny valley and unbelievable and stupid.

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime something good happens related to video games, the company gets high and fucks it up.
Woo hoo! We released Mega Man 11! (18 lines of coke later) Yo LeTs MaKe A fUcKiN mOvIe

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder why megaman rather than megaman x. I suppose you can have mostly humans for megaman? Wonder if they'll take the pinnochio route.

I'd say do megaman legends, but they'd just cancel the movie a week before release...

I see how it is. I post a gif, it gets removed, but other pictures yet remain.
Pictures are fine, but only to supplement text :P no single word and an image, or just an image, are allowed. I'm not sure what your post looked like, just trying to help out. Spoiler tags are nice too.

Last edited by osaka35,

dmace81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega Man by someone off MTV? I guess it will go WOKE and go BROKE. And here I thought Capcom was doing smart decisions lately.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fans made a better film on Mega Man than Hollywood could ever make. Checkmate, Hollywood Producers.

My opinion ? I don't like this fan made. Ugly Robot Masters looking. Funny looking Dr. Wily and Roll was wrong. Protoman.. Bleh. Failed as well.

Best fan made I ever seen was Batman: Dead End.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people are saying that in general live action is dead. I don't want cgi for everything. Dramas should never be CGI.

Now something like this should obviously just not be made at all

Reactions: Megadriver94

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading the new posts and there's going to be a Sonic movie?

Now I feel that I can't decide which will be worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol