Metroid Prime 4 scrapped, development starting fresh, Nintendo reveals

Nintendo has uploaded a new video detailing development on the long awaited Metroid Prime 4. In the video, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, reveals that development on Metroid Prime 4 has not reached Nintendo's own standards, and that development has been started from scratch. He also revealed that the game will now be developed in collaboration with Retro Studios, the original developer of the Metroid Prime series.

This will cause a significant delay in the internal planned release schedule, which is sure to disappoint fans of the series. It is stressed that the game is still in development, and Takahashi-san promises that the game will "stand shoulder-to-shoulder" with past Prime titles.

:arrow: Source

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL I have no idea where this nationality division is coming from. xD
A lot of Japanese developers agree that there are certain aspects of game development that they cannot duplicate. It isn't a matter of hate on japanese developers. There are certain cultural aspects that lead to design choices in game development. Retro Studios is primarily based in Texas... The exact opposite of Japanese culture. That's what made Prime such a peculiar yet interesting game. Because it wasn't your traditional Nintendo game. Just look at Rare's handling of Donkey Kong.

Last edited by gman666,

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Welp. That sucks.
Retro should've been assigned to it from the beginning, though who knows if they'll be able to reach the standards of the first 2 games with half the team not there anymore.

Also makes you wonder what will happen with Donkey Kong. The last 2 made by Retro were fantastic.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bit of a precedent of this, silent Hill being a series that was "ruined" by Western devs. Might work the other way around too lol
A lot of Japanese developers agree that there are certain aspects of game development that they cannot duplicate. It isn't a matter of hate on japanese developers. There are certain cultural aspects that lead to design choices in game development. Retro Studios is primarily based in Texas... The exact opposite of Japanese culture. That's what made Prime such a peculiar yet interesting game. Because it wasn't your traditional Nintendo game. Just look at Rare's handling of Donkey Kong.

No no no. Trust me I UNDERSTAND you. But it's not BECAUSE they are Japanese. LOL They literally can just play Metroid Prime 1-3 and say "Let's make it like that." But they don't. so I understand your point, just saying it's not BECAUSE they are Japanese. But because they decided to have certain design decisions.
Jimmy around the corner can PERFECTLY replicate what WOULD be a "Japanese" product. It's not where he came from. Just which direction he decided to go.

And yes..B leh. Don't remind me about Silent Hill. But it wasn't because they were not Japanese. Just because they choose inferior design decisions- Japanese or not.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Welp. That sucks.
Retro should've been assigned to it from the beginning, though who knows if they'll be able to reach the standards of the first 2 games with half the team not there anymore.

Also makes you wonder what will happen with Donkey Kong. The last 2 made by Retro were fantastic.
You didn't like Corruption ? :unsure:

heyd_s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this just goes on to show how sometimes big companies make the poorest of decisions, it's good that they took a step back to reevaluate the whole situation but i'm not expecting to hear anything about this game for the next 4, 5 years, tbh they should have kept their mouth shut and not hype the game at all by keeping all development a secret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Duke Nukem Forever is a special case, and going against the grain here... But.. It really wasn't that bad.
I haven't played it, but most reviews don't say it's bad, it's just unremarkable. My point was how many games that have been scrapped and started over were commercial and critical successes? Few, if any I'd guess. The only examples I could think of were failures. Starting over from scratch is the first step to development hell.

grey72

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dev hell isn't anything new for Metroid. Not saying it's the way things should go, but Metroid's pulled through before yeah?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sticker star (or was it colour splash) had the same "try again" problem and look how great those games came...out....mmm.

glad they're trying though. a successful metroid game that feels like a metroid game would really be nice. Nintendo is all about explorative gameplay, and that's metroid. just with some creep, unease, and biology thrown in.

as far as that "other" game goes, if took away all "metroid" visuals and names from other M, you wouldn't recognize it as a metroid game. it would vaguely remind you of one, but it'd be completely forgettable. it is not a metroid games in the ways that count.

You didn't like Corruption ? :unsure:
corruption felt...crowded. it was a bit too much "samus goes to war" than "samus does a mission that gets weird". bit more linear, but it was still a great metroid game. just the weakest of the 3 brilliant games. probably just me not caring about literally any other character except evil samus and samus, making the plot not matter overly much.

Sadly the Retro Studios today is not the Retro Studios then since key figures of the Prime series have left the studio.
this is my worry as well. i don't need a repeat of 1-3, but something that builds on the most successful feelings created by those games and make something new. without the key figures, I worry about how successful they will be. personally, I'm hoping they try to put a new spin on classic explorative and isolating in an creepy-quasi-organic environment. hope is all we can do i suppose.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: grey72

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @DinohScene hi