Microsoft adjusts Xbox One DRM policies, online check-ins and used game complications are history

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Giant Bomb is reporting that it has spoken with multiple sources and that Microsoft is going to reverse all of its DRM policies on the Xbox One.

xbox-one-1-620.jpg

The breakdown of what Microsoft is said to be changing according to the report includes:
  • No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped
Source
Update: Microsoft confirmed the changes

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I was starting to warm to some of the policies. To me all it needed was a removal on the online check to be viable. That Family Library idea was pretty smart as was the ability to gift games digitally. That'll no longer exist because of the disc check and it'll still require you to install it to the drive (imo a slight problem with a 500GB harddrive that might hold HD video as well as games).

My main point of contention is just with MS and the Gold paywall. I can't watch YouTube, NetFlix or even browse the web on my 360 because of this policy. Revoke that policy and even with the trade-in issues I might consider the XBOne

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
6C7512049-new-image-consoles.blocks_desktop_large.jpg

So Microsoft have apparently listened and saw the amount of dislikes towards the new XBox One, with the DRM and always online and it seems they have backtracked on the XBone, supposedly removing the game DRM and Always online feature.
"Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games? A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

"Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection? A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.​
What do you think about this?
I ain't an Xbox fan anyways, but this seemed interesting and I don't think it has been posted yet. (Sorry if it has, this is my first USN article)

Source

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
By the way, all, remember:
Before doing this, Microsoft snidely offered the 360 as the alternative to their prized baby. They ignored fan uproar and stuck to their policies through E3 until they saw, well, shit, people liked the opposite of what they were doing. They didn't say anything about the "always on", the required Kinect, the privacy concerns, etc. They also didn't say anything about the very limited launch. Some core issues may have been resolved, but the Xbox One still isn't exactly an appealing console.

Reactions: Jax and person66

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
Still not going to preorder it or the ps4, but it is good that drm is removed because then it can be hacked, and then I might buy it in 2-3 years when the price has dropped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol