Microsoft has a mobile gaming store in the works

microsoft mobile.PNG

The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is currently investigating Microsoft's multi-billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard and as part of the process, the tech giant has shared filings detailing that this purchase will fuel its "next generation game store" plans.

As reported by The Verge, below is an excerpt from the filing:

The transaction will improve Microsoft’s ability to create a next generation game store which operates across a range of devices, including mobile as a result of the addition of Activision Blizzard’s content. Building on Activision Blizzard’s existing communities of gamers, Xbox will seek to scale the Xbox Store to mobile, attracting gamers to a new Xbox Mobile Platform. Shifting consumers away from the Google Play Store and App Store on mobile devices will, however, require a major shift in consumer behavior. Microsoft hopes that by offering well-known and popular content, gamers will be more inclined to try something new.

Microsoft has been pushing its Xbox Cloud Gaming platform across devices, most recently with Logitech's and Razer's for their cloud gaming-focused handhelds. With Stadia out of the way, this could represent an opportunity for Microsoft to offer a cloud gaming service on top of its Game Pass offerings. But The Verge mentions that the store aims to rival the Google Play Store or App Store, which could prove to be a considerable undertaking.

While the exact model of the new mobile gaming store have yet to be detailed, the company might be planning to put its new IPs to push the plan forward.

:arrow: SOURCE

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really would love to see Microsoft put their streaming Xbox service on the Switch. But at this point, I don't think that's on the table anymore, not when there are all these handheld gaming PCs coming out like the Steam Deck. It made sense when Nintendo really was the only modern portable handheld ready for to play and stream modern games with native controls, but now all sorts of devices are ready for this kind of gaming on the go.

Reactions: CoolMe

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really would love to see Microsoft put their streaming Xbox service on the Switch. But at this point, I don't think that's on the table anymore, not when there are all these handheld gaming PCs coming out like the Steam Deck. It made sense when Nintendo really was the only modern portable handheld ready for to play and stream modern games with native controls, but now all sorts of devices are ready for this kind of gaming on the go.
Nintendo wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo wouldn't have allowed it anyway.
I genuinely do not see why not, both companies make money, it's only streaming so getting digital versions of games also available on Switch would still be preferential. Microsoft has published Xbox games on the Switch, I really don't see how it would be impossible. I think if Microsoft really wanted it, they would be able to work out a deal with Nintendo.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I genuinely do not see why not, both companies make money, it's only streaming so getting digital versions of games also available on Switch would still be preferential. Microsoft has published Xbox games on the Switch, I really don't see how it would be impossible. I think if Microsoft really wanted it, they would be able to work out a deal with Nintendo.
The moment it becomes a storefront, is the moment Nintendo would have banned the whole thing.

Since when has a console maker allowed a competing storefront on their platforms? It would take nothing less than government mandate to prevent Nintendo or any other console maker from blocking competing storefront apps.

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, Windows Phone used to exist and that had it's own Xbox branded app storefront and game launcher years before they abandoned it for Android.
Really the only noteworthy point is how many years have passed between then and now

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Apple won't like it
That's what I was going to say.
Google won't like it
That is also what I was going to say.

I smell a lawsuit or two with a sprinkle of injunction. I know that both companies have a history of banning services like this from their respective app stores. I can imagine that Microsoft can easily get around this on Android by sideloading an .apk but it won't get them nearly the market share that they'd want on Android and they might as well forget about Apple.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like Microsoft, Apple, or Alphabet. Anything that makes them compete is a good thing for me. I hope Microsoft somehow weakens the two, even though I have my doubts, because Microsoft is fucking terribad.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you dont see why not? what about every indie multiplatform game out there? so the same game exists on switch and xbox and you would buy it through xbox store and nintendo would see jack shit? lol keep dreaming, if nintendo didnt share any games with microsoft it would be a thing, but they share thousands of games...

not to mention then developers would have no need to ever port a game to the switch, just buy it on xbox store and stream it would be the answer to everyone wanting xxx game on the switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh