Microsoft helping Geohot in his legal battle against Sony?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
geohotrapsongsony.jpg

"Recently, George Hotz asked for donations to cover his legal fee. Well, it’s a well known fact that he has indeed racked up enough money to pay his lawyers from donations; however, Microsoft may have played a huge part in GeoHot getting the fees he needed to defend himself against Sony in court.

The information comes from a source close to the matter who must remain anonymous that in an attempt to help George win his case, and thus making it legal to hack the PlayStation 3, the company anonymously donated a large lump of cash so he could cover his court fees; remember: only 2 days had passed after Hotz requested the money and then received all of the money.

Of course, we’ve already seen Microsoft openly inviting George to jailbreak the Windows Phone 7 so the reported shrewd move from Microsoft seen above may indeed be true."[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would make sense.

It seems the case is becoming more and more unpopular and hey, if Microsoft can get a few people on their side and try to smear Sony, it's a win-win.

They already gave him a WP7 I recall.

C

croagunk.master

This is why I'm a Microsoft fanboy!
MICROSOFT FOREVER!
This was an extremely smart move!
wink.gif

Sony is gonna go down!

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
"Recently, George Hotz asked for donations to cover his legal fee. Well, it’s a well known fact that he has indeed racked up enough money to pay his lawyers from donations; however, Microsoft may have played a huge part in GeoHot getting the fees he needed to defend himself against Sony in court.

The information comes from a source close to the matter who must remain anonymous that in an attempt to help George win his case, and thus making it legal to hack the PlayStation 3 every video game console for homebrew purposes, the company anonymously donated a large lump of cash so he could cover his court fees; remember: only 2 days had passed after Hotz requested the money and then received all of the money.

Of course, we’ve already seen Microsoft openly inviting George to jailbreak the Windows Phone 7 so the reported shrewd move from Microsoft seen above may indeed be true."[/p]
icon11.gif
Source
Stupid source is stupid. Fix'd.

Kinda funny that Microsoft donated, but they're seeing all this crap and probably thinking its a bad idea to piss hackers off (while still banning people from XBL for jtags etc. WHICH THEY ARE WITHIN RIGHTS TO DO! SAME WITH SONY AND PSN!)

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont like MS but i have to say that i do like this.
If we have a console, why would we not be able to do homebrew? We may never be able to actually access programming tools otherwise.

Im with GeoHot on this one, not Sony, not MS.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They didn't help him. Anyone ever thought that there is far more people supporting geohot then you think? All it takes is most of those supporters to give 1$ and he has more then enough money already.

If 1$ wasn't enough, I read on a random thread on some ps3 scene forum (not gonna be named due to rules here) that a guy donated 1000$. 1000$ is big for a single donation and the thing is, he isn't the only one who gave a lot.

Yes you could say Microsoft did give that 1000$, but I doubt it, they're just to money hungry douches to even give that much money away. I mean,you're talking about the company selling a 250GB hardrive for a very expensive price, while you could get a 1 or 2TB drive for that price. They also used to sell wireless adapters for 360 99.99$, when it could have costed them like 5$ to put a wireless card in each 360.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
More likely this is a twisting of the facts.
I would guess that it's a Microsoft worker who donated, and they're running with it as Microsoft itself. Much like how after the Gulf Coast Oil "Spill", the conservative media claimed BP donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Obama -- when the truth was it was the combined donations of BP employees, just like any other citizen could do and that 'hundreds of thousands' made up a small portion of the funds his campaign raised.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this kinda goes with my theory on how MS operates any way. They view hacking as a win-win situation. First with a console getting hacked it violates the warranty so if it screws the console up bad enough MS will be there smiling when you go buy another. Second they get all this homebrew devs adding features to their console and giving MS ideas of what people want, so its basically just free development and beta testing. I think MS has realized that they have more to gain from hackers then they stand to lose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: