OP
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
680x-1.jpg

Discord has been talking to potential buyers and software giant Microsoft is in the running, but no deal is imminent, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself, one person said. Representatives for Microsoft and Discord declined to comment. VentureBeat reported earlier on Monday that Discord was engaged in sales talks.

Discord is considered a strategic asset, as it connects game companies with their biggest fans in audio and text chat communities. But whether it sells or not will depend on Discord CEO Jason Citron, who will have to decide if the company can better fulfil its mission as part of another company.

“I know they are in active discussions with a select few parties,” one source said. “The market is in a state where they could command strong double-digit billions of dollars.”

A spokesperson for Discord said it declined to comment on rumours or speculation. A lot of things could happen that could change the company’s plans. But Discord is in play, according to our sources.

The game market is amok with plans and calculations right now. If Roblox is worth $42 billion in its public offering, the thinking goes, then such and such must be worth so much. Roblox had a successful public offering on March 10 that leaves the window open for other companies that are trying to maximize their value, either through acquisitions or the stock market. Discord may be a test as to whether or not another company with communications technology can follow in Roblox’s recent footsteps, and rumors often swirl about a possible IPO.

While Discord has grown dramatically and has more than 140 million monthly active users, it is still in a growth phase, and its financials aren’t spectacular now. That means it may be early for the company to try to go public, the source said. The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that in 2020 Discord generated $130 million in revenue, up from nearly $45 million in 2019. In that sense, Discord was similar to many other game companies that saw huge gains during the pandemic when everyone was in lockdown.

Sources:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-be-in-talks-to-buy-discord-for-more-than-10b
https://venturebeat.com/2021/03/22/discord-exploring-sale-that-could-be-worth-more-than-10-billion/

Last edited by Vila_,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean that instead of Skype being forcibly installed, I can choose Discord instead? Fuck Skype.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Discord is cow dung. Let Microsoft bury it.
What's a better alternative then?

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Didn't Tencent/CCP owned Discord such as Riot Games,Blizzard Entertainment,Epic Games,maybe Sega,maybe Nintendo,maybe Sony,maybe Microsoft,Warner Bros.,Disney?

Last edited by Luke94,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean that instead of Skype being forcibly installed, I can choose Discord instead? Fuck Skype.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's a better alternative then?
you fucking peasants on irc and discord, I'm on piegion mail

Reactions: Mollycule

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So in-browser irc with noises is suddenly worth 10 million dollars?
<zoogie's henchmen correct him>
Sorry, I meant 10 billion dollars.

Why didn't my evil self think of that.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Microsoft buys them, does that mean they'll no longer delete people's servers with no warning? If so, sign me up. Their moderation has become a bit heavy-handed for my taste in recent years. I wish a decentralized alternative would become popular. It makes me a bit uncomfortable to know that they keep everything you've ever said anywhere on the platform. If my 5-year old chat with a deleted user is anything to go by, they keep it for a concerningly long time.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft buying Discord is many times better - or rather, should I clarify, less bad - than Amazon, or Google, or Facebook buying Discord. So yeah, sure, do it, I don't care.
If anyone's gonna buy them up - and I'm positive it will happen eventually - I think Microsoft would be the... well, the least bad large corporation to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i only do that in the mornings