Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you saying running an emulator is as wrong as stabbing people with a knife?

That does sound like something out of an anti-piracy PSA/PIF.

Someone running around with a knife stabbing people with a voice over saying something like ‘you wouldn’t go around stabbing people? When you pirate games that’s what you’re doing to the industry’.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Microsoft, a bunch of corporate greedy bastards.
At last, I have seen this comment after DECADES of strugglin and people bashing my own, same opinion about them.

What's more incredible is that people defend and say that "Microsoft is the most generous and cool gaming company out of all of them", or those people that LOVE "uncle" Phil. SMFH.

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. . . .

Why the hell do people not just run the emulators on dev mode? Is the risk of being banned really worth not paying the $19?

I don't have an Xbox and probably never will, but I'm not going to rip on Microsoft for this.
The only reason i can think of is with dev mode it requires having a credit or debit card tied to the system/account since it treats buying dev mode as a subscription and not a 1 time purchase despite it being a 1 time purchase.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source
I mean they told people not to lol. They already give us dev mode I'd say that is basically just giving us homebrew access there.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you saying running an emulator is as wrong as stabbing people with a knife?
No, I'm pointing out the flaw in the argument that buying something means you should be able to do anything you want with it.

When you buy a knife then you know there are rules what you can do with it.

When you buy a games console, you know that there are rules what you can do with it.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I'm pointing out the flaw in the argument that buying something means you should be able to do anything you want with it.

When you buy a knife then you know there are rules what you can do with it.

When you buy a games console, you know that there are rules what you can do with it.
I understand your argument, but you may be preaching in the wrong church. If everyone here strictly followed these rules, there would be no GBAtemp.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand your argument, but you may be preaching in the wrong church. If everyone here strictly followed these rules, there would be no GBAtemp.
That is a different argument. You can stab people or hack your console to run an emulator, it's just someone will try to stop you.

@smf, seems to suggest that you don't stab people because it's "against the rules" or "they'll take your knife away".
I wasn't making that point and I haven't researched it, so I will just give you a link I found on google & hope that deals with whatever information you lack on the subject.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/so-sue-me/201501/why-do-we-obey-the-law

Presumably the people going round stabbing others with knives are both ok with doing it and ok with breaking the rules.

Last edited by smf,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Dev Mode is only $20, right? Taking into account the amount of emulated games you'll play, it's well worth it.

I'm still hoping Xbox One/Series get hacked to avoid logging in my Microsoft account. Well, I could make a fake account, I know.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Its things like this that makes me glad i paid for dev mode access.
‘Others being banned over wanting to run whatever they want on their own device that they bought makes me glad that I could pay extra for permission from the manufacturer to do the same.’

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its things like this that makes me glad i paid for dev mode access.
Sorry, dude, when a company requires you to log in to an account than use a local account, it doesn't belong to you.

Yes, you bought the hardware, but they own the software and can revoke it. I'm not sure paying the 20 bucks is gonna save people from it, we'll see if M$ aren't assholes to them.

Also, have you not seen the Windows 11 fiasco, too?

Don't like saying this...

You will own nothing and you will be happy. (:

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, dude, when a company requires you to log in to an account than use a local account, it doesn't belong to you.

Yes, you bought the hardware, but they own the software and can revoke it. I'm not sure paying the 20 bucks is gonna save people from it, we'll see if M$ aren't assholes to them.

Don’t know if you know, but there is a way (for now at least) to bypass W11’s login requirements:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-11-without-microsoft-account

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Once someone activates Dev. mode, do they have to stay online and logged-in to use it?

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I hate it when people run 15 year old games from unaffiliated companies on my overpriced game console! :gun:
Why do you miss the point on purpose?

If you as a company, let other companies properties running on your console with apps downloaded from your own official store, you are looking at a lawsuit.

Why is this so hard to understand, that this is not about the players?

Just use DevMode and stop crying.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For anyone with experience using Dev mode on the Xbox, can you explain how it works?

I've read that Microsoft has disabled Dev mode for some users in the past.

Does this mean that you need to login via internet every time you boot into dev mode?

What @Marc_LFD said suggests yes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.