Microsoft to shut down Xbox 360 Store next year

LnXLmtj.png

The time has finally come. Microsoft has announced that they'll be shuttering the Xbox 360 Store and Xbox 360 Marketplace next year. On July 29, 2024, users will no longer be able to buy games or DLC on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, if you have a library of 360 titles, you'll still be able to access them, though if you ever purchased TV shows or movies on your Xbox 360 console, you won't be able to access those after that date, and will instead be relegated to watching them on the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, or Windows 10/11. Those using modern Xbox consoles will also still have access to backwards compatible 360 games, and the option to purchase those titles specifically. Xbox Live on the 360 will still be kept online, allowing players to still access multiplayer servers for games that still support it.

:arrow: Source

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to buy games that are still available or its DLC I'll have to buy it on a browser or use a newer console?
Yeah that's okay as long as I can still use my purchases and get DLC without having to resort to other mean to play what I paid for and the hardware I have.
Though would be nice if they would clarify that better.
You can technically still buy them on the Xbox One and later. Backwards compatible titles are in the storefront.
Post automatically merged:

microsoft going the nintendo route i see....
Feel this is more just the industry route. Every storefront will close eventually. Sony nearly shutdown the PS3 store last year. The ended up backing out of that, but it is inevitable.

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I'm surprised it was still online. I'm pretty sure the only game left from that era that we need ported to PC is Geometry Wars 2. Make it happen, MS.
The biggest things that come to mind to me are the Virtual-On games... nudge nudge Sega

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The biggest things that come to mind to me are the Virtual-On games... nudge nudge Sega
Oh those were amazing too. Didn't realize they ever came to consoles, actually, I thought they were arcade-only. Luckily AC6 is out soon to scratch pretty much that same itch, but I'd gladly buy a Virtual-On collection if the price is right.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now y'all remember, Microsoft has been selling digital only consoles for these last 2 generations. There will be a time Xbox One S Digital and then Xbox One Series S will be bricks.

I can still play majority of the games I purchased on it on my Series X. Can you say the same about games purchased on the PS3/Wii/WiiU?

ChaoticPumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost 19 years is a really fucking impressive lifespan for a console's online store.

It's sad to see it go of course, but most if not 99% of the games on the store have already been backed up somewhere online, so it's not like every single game on the store will be lost to time forever.
Yeah, I think it's more of a problem with copyright law than it is Microsoft shutting down the store. I absolutely get shutting down a service for a very old game console, but, games that aren't available for purchase anywhere else should have their copyright forfeited.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Damn, figured this would happen since the console is nearing 20. It's lived a good life, though, it needs a bit of a rest.
I do hope this encourages more investigation of the Xbox 360 hardware to possibly elicit a softmod.

Reactions: ZDA

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh. The only reason I got a 360 was for the only game that mattered..... Fable. I loved playing those games, it didnt play any halo, other than the 1st on pc or any gears of war or any of microsofts other franchises. The only way I'd buy a new Xbox if Microsoft releases a new Fable and its not on pc.

Reactions: Guacaholey

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better save up coupons for xbla points cards and use it at any store you might get it free or under 1 dallors for over 100 games :rofl2:

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be honest, if you're gonna shutter a service, this is how you do it
it's been years, most of the titles are available on newer systems, the console has been discontinued for years... and yet the multiplayer servers are staying up, the grace period is a whole-ass fucking  year...

microsoft good

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I can still play majority of the games I purchased on it on my Series X. Can you say the same about games purchased on the PS3/Wii/WiiU?

Yeah, they didn't close the ability to download purchased stuff yet.

That's not the point though. And same goes for PS5 digital only. They are consoles tied to a service as their only input that will eventually die.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity: it's called Xbox 360."

Hopefully the only missing XBLA and DLC efforts are things few care about for music games, or updates that did not get grabbed before newer ones hit and hold no interesting bugs or alterations.

Prices of physical games prob will skyrocket in price... i hope not tho..
As something of a collector of such things they are already on the rise and have been for the last few years. That said for all the downloadable game efforts on later systems I don't think I have met anybody that done GOD (games on demand, full retail games as opposed to the XBLA smaller games) for the 360, and as noted elsewhere most things on this are way more expensive than retail even likely when things were new.
If there are any physical games you want then probably want to consider grabbing them in the not too terribly distant future. There are two I definitely want that are probably not going to get any cheaper now.
people want the 360 store to be ran for another 80 years wtf
and yet if Valve or someone said "all these 10+ year old games... eh fuck it" there would be pandemonium. I get there is probably some regulatory issue, financial issue (still got points loaded on the account means you might have to offset some money in case they appear back and use it all), technical annoyance (still having to maintain a 360 dev team in case someone hacks the payment processor used or said payment processor wants more security, plus customer support for it as you are still actively taking money) but still not something I care to accept even if I never had an account (paying for online is silly).

• Love
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity: it's called Xbox 360."

Hopefully the only missing XBLA and DLC efforts are things few care about for music games, or updates that did not get grabbed before newer ones hit and hold no interesting bugs or alterations.

As something of a collector of such things they are already on the rise and have been for the last few years. That said for all the downloadable game efforts on later systems I don't think I have met anybody that done GOD (games on demand, full retail games as opposed to the XBLA smaller games) for the 360, and as noted elsewhere most things on this are way more expensive than retail even likely when things were new.
If there are any physical games you want then probably want to consider grabbing them in the not too terribly distant future. There are two I definitely want that are probably not going to get any cheaper now.

and yet if Valve or someone said "all these 10+ year old games... eh fuck it" there would be pandemonium. I get there is probably some regulatory issue, financial issue (still got points loaded on the account means you might have to offset some money in case they appear back and use it all), technical annoyance (still having to maintain a 360 dev team in case someone hacks the payment processor used or said payment processor wants more security, plus customer support for it as you are still actively taking money) but still not something I care to accept even if I never had an account (paying for online is silly).
I have to buy a 360 too, if i wanna play those games... 😅😂

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety