Microsoft to shut down Xbox 360 Store next year

LnXLmtj.png

The time has finally come. Microsoft has announced that they'll be shuttering the Xbox 360 Store and Xbox 360 Marketplace next year. On July 29, 2024, users will no longer be able to buy games or DLC on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, if you have a library of 360 titles, you'll still be able to access them, though if you ever purchased TV shows or movies on your Xbox 360 console, you won't be able to access those after that date, and will instead be relegated to watching them on the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, or Windows 10/11. Those using modern Xbox consoles will also still have access to backwards compatible 360 games, and the option to purchase those titles specifically. Xbox Live on the 360 will still be kept online, allowing players to still access multiplayer servers for games that still support it.

:arrow: Source

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
It's about time, you can't expect a digital store on an ancient hardware to last forever, especially considering that Xbox 360 is the oldest among all other consoles that still have online services running. I'm more surprised by the fact that Live will keep running on 360 for even longer.

Reactions: ZDA and CoolMe

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully it has so many games that can played from disc(s) without the internet.

I've had mine since about mid 2008 and still works great other than the occasional "Play DVD" when a game disc is inserted. Also the plastic eject button is broke so the "Y" button is the only way to eject a disc unless I want to remove the cover the press the actual button connected to the system.

And I have to lean it sideways to eject the tray if no disc is inserted, otherwise it will just blink and never open.

(I also wonder if they will release an update to set the clock past 2025.)

Reactions: ZDA

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least games are re-downloadable if you have already bought it or will buy it before the store shuts down. Kinda strange but you can buy a x360 game on xbox 1 store and still play it on your 360. So really the only thing that changes is that you cannot purchase a game on x360 after the store closure date. My first xbox was xbox one S so this really doesnt effect me. I also already got all the x360 games that I cared about, luckily there were backwards compatible.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guesssing all the titles have been dumped and archived by this point. There's still some games like the HD version of Guardian Heroes that still haven't been released anywhere else apart from the 360.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying it's "shutting down" is a bit misleading when they're no longer allowing purchases to happen.

Starting July 29, 2024, the Microsoft Store on Xbox 360 and on marketplace‌.xbox.‌com will no longer be supporting purchases. This includes games, trials, add-ons, avatar items, apps, gamerpics, game trailers, and videos. It also includes purchases like gamertag changes on Xbox 360, Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, in-game purchases, and Movies & TV. Games and content purchased before that date will still play as intended and content redownloads will continue to be supported for owned content.

If you intend to redeem any codes for Xbox 360 content via your Xbox 360 console, then you will need to redeem them to your account before July 29, 2024. After that date, they may no longer be redeemable. Gift cards and subscription cards will not be impacted.
To be honest, the 360 Store has been dead for years now. Sigh.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A company shutting down services they don't make money on anymore shocking, but remasters are baaaad.

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costs these companies next to nothing relative to their profit margins to continue upkeep of digital servers. It's a shame so much internet/gaming history is going by the wayside.

Reactions: eternal

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well crap, I guess Microsoft IS worse than Sony in this aspect...:rofl2:

Being able to play OG Xbox/360 games on current hardware with usually improvements speak otherwise. I haven't used mine in forever, but it's still nice whenever I want to play some old stuff and not have to buy it digitally when I have a physical.

Reactions: Cortador

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The end of an era. 360 was a heck of a damn console and they did a stellar job building the groundwork of what became the standard for modern console online experience.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to buy games that are still available or its DLC I'll have to buy it on a browser or use a newer console?
Yeah that's okay as long as I can still use my purchases and get DLC without having to resort to other mean to play what I paid for and the hardware I have.
Though would be nice if they would clarify that better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.