• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

Mine Bitcoins w/ Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuNKeMoN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, another filthy coin miner that wants to destroy the Switch market.

If you read the OP you'd know that I'm not a miner.
Filthy, well I haven't showered since yesterday so I'll give you that.

Gotta say though, last time I checked, Super Mario was all about grabbing up any and every coin he could.

Reactions: linuxares

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright. So if Bitcoin is out of the question then why not invent a cryptocurrency based on a method a Switch (or many interconnected Switches) could handle? I don't know, name them 8bitcoins or Bitrupees or something like that.

I like the idea somebody posted a couple pages back about linking a bunch of PS3s together. It sounds kind of evil genius-y but completely plausible. And it's already proven to work.
The US Air Force made a super computer out of an assload of PS3s.
Iraq tried making a super computer with a fuckton of PS2s.

So replicate the process but with Switch hardware? Seems legit.

For the first one you linked me a google search about the PS4 but I will play along anyway
The PS3 used a cell processor http://phrack.org/issues/66/13.html#article
At the time it represented a way to do a lot of a certain type of calculations very fast, faster for the same energy (when talking about high performance computing/HPC then energy or calculations per kilowatt is the metric you tend to start using) than other processors/devices on the market for anything like its price point.

The PS2 was not quite as big a standout but had something to it, the "emotion engine" stuff is not something I inclined to dredge up right now.

The switch is a higher end ARM tablet with a not terribly exotic mobile GPU and no real memory*. Anything it could do there will be a thousand devices able to do just as well or better which people will then turn to start using.

*crypto currencies as the name implies deal with encryption related maths. You can bias your chosen algorithm towards things that modern CPUs are good at, things modern GPUs are good at (typically low memory, low storage/small sequence amounts of floating point) and also make either of things need a lot of memory to operate.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't know much about generating cryptocurrency but I do know that people mine them the way gamers farm for coins in RPGs. I also know it is a passive income, ie money that you don't work to attain.

So I was thinking, I leave my switch on but in sleep mode basically 24/7 so is there even a way to mine BC with a Switch? Had anyone else thought of this idea?

I'm interested in the possibilities and look forward to a knowledgeable user's input.
It would take you about 18 million years to find a single bitcoin with the power of a Switch. Surely, there are better ways to generate some supplemental income, while you are still alive.

Craftyawesome

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serious answer, no one means bitcoin when talking about mining with standard hardware. The problem is, even if we clocked it to as high as the shield TV, it just wouldn't generate a lot of any altcoin.
Unlike Pascal GPUs, whattomine.com doesn't recommend lowering the power usage on the Maxwell GPU it has, so heating might be a problem.

You also missed the time it was very profitable, so no Homebrew will likely be made.
You could just run switch Linux though.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is a better way. sell your switch, invest the money in any coin you like. hope for the best. either way you could make more profit you propably ever could make in a life time of switch mining or you just lose everything, the same way you would lose everything by paying electricity costs and seeing your switch getting fried.

invent a currency especially for the switch? why would someone do that .. and for what?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Serious answer, no one means bitcoin when talking about mining with standard hardware. The problem is, even if we clocked it to as high as the shield TV, it just wouldn't generate a lot of any altcoin.
Unlike Pascal GPUs, whattomine.com doesn't recommend lowering the power usage on the Maxwell GPU it has, so heating might be a problem.

You also missed the time it was very profitable, so no Homebrew will likely be made.
You could just run switch Linux though.
Remember when some dude made a miner for the NES? lul

Reactions: DarthDub

xaliax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't watch a video while I'm at work. Somebody would know I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Sure, I could read about OTHER RIGS but my question was about the console discussed in this section of the forum, and there wasn't already a topic so I asked.
And what is wrong with asking for information on a topic you don't know or are interested in?

Am I entitled to a detailed answer? No. But a detailed answer is helpful. And the point of a community is to help each other.
Am I entitled to a condescending rant stating how someone decided to finally post after a decade just to be a dick? Again, no. But thanks for your excellent contribution.

Honestly dude, just burry your head in the sand...

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You misunderstand. I mean that most games you can get rich in an hour. That's not going to happen on crypto without a lot of luck. I know there are mini-games that reward satoshi, and games that use crypto as their foundation.

Liked anyway, some people might like those. Bitcointalk is a good site for info too if anyone is interested.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing says great idea like running hardware without much in the way of proper airflow full tilt 24x7. Bitcoin mining wears down well ventilated computers, this would absolutely destroy a switch.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can adjust settings on most miners though. You don't necessarily need to kill the SoC to mine. Mostly it's just not likely to be worth the time + power = {coin}

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
You can coin mining using even a raspberry pi that works when you connect it to any power source, it stupid but manageable.

Last edited by aos10,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...