Suggestion Mini games on GBAtemp: a tournament to establish the Temp Champ.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would be fun if an elimination tournament could be held between users, who would compete one by one on an online mini-game, until the decisive final match, having a certain amount of XPs as a prize (for the first three on the podium).
This could take place in two possible, different ways, one that is more fun, based on the skill of the challengers, but difficult to implement technically, and one that is simpler and more easily accomplished, but based on chance and luck.

1) First alternative. Users could challenge each other, one by one, in a simple real-time arcade game (e.g., Pong, Airhockey, etc.) or slightly more complex puzzle game (Tetris, Arkanoid, Dr. Mario etc.) trying to win 2 out of 3 games, and continuing in a pyramidal tournament until the final match. From a technical point of view, I have no idea whether this is easily achievable, since different controls would have to be implemented for phone/tablet (touchscreen) and others for PC (keyboard);

2) Second alternative. One could use a much simpler method (easily achievable, trivial, less compelling, and based entirely on luck), such as alternative drawing of cards from a "deck" by the players, where the highest wins (by doing three draws). Or simulating a virtual fight between 2 characters, each randomly paired to a user, with the final outcome determined by the computer.

These are just a few sketchy and perhaps trivial suggestions, but they give the general idea of my proposal. A tournament that would bring some novelty, verve, liveliness, excitement, trepidation and friendly/positive competition among users, to an environment (apart from some forums) so often more like a cemetery or a morgue (I hope those are not too "heavy" and provocative words) than a lively, active and participatory community.
Some will laugh, some will pout, some will snort, some will reflect, some (I hope) will be cheered. To the staff the arduous judgment (assuming anyone will respond). Forgive my poor english.
Greetings to all.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really feisible with 507676 users..

What about a simpler XP lottery? Buy a ticket, fund GBAtemp’s expansion/upgrades: win big XP if drawn.

Kind of diminishes peoples XP levels that have been constructively putting content in to the site though… and doesn’t deduce a true “champ”.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not really feisible with 507676 users..
Only those who sign up, generally the most active members, could participate.
What about a simpler XP lottery?
A meager and even more trivial alternative, and then, where would be the sense of challenge and competition among users? But better than nothing, I suppose....

Reactions: KiiWii

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
We had an arcade eons ago with leaderboards, but IIRC when we swapped over to Xenforo that went away. Don't think we were able to justify re-adding it back in though given how little use it really got. May be something to reconsider, but I don't think we'll have any immediate plans for anything like this

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't think we were able to justify re-adding it back in though given how little use it really
This is contradictory to what your colleague said, that there would be too many participants (given the number of users) in the tournament. Do you really think that, if there were a tournament like this, it would be snubbed like your arcade of the past? Far from it.
Anyway, I think you only bothered to read the title of this thread....🤣

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kind of diminishes peoples XP levels that have been constructively putting content in to the site though…
In the case of a lottery, this is true; but it would still only affect the 3 winners out of thousands of participants.
And then, how many are those who have accumulated XP by writing an avalanche of silliness and consensus-capturing platitudes !?! 🤔

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The arcade always sounded like such a cute idea! Sad I wasn't around for it.

This is contradictory to what your colleague said, that there would be too many participants (given the number of users) in the tournament. Do you really think that, if there were a tournament like this, it would be snubbed like your arcade of the past? Far from it.
There's a difference between the user stats, and those who actually partake in community events. I think it's a great idea, but there's a lot of logistics, between hosting the events, keeping track of the entrants, winners, brackets, time zones, hosting, verifying, and everything involved. We ran a big tournament month during the covid lockdown, and we got a lot of turnout, but it was very time-intensive and for a group who had little experience with hosting such events.

Perhaps we could make weekly events, where we pick a random semi-popular game in the GBAtemp Game Center. Ex: beat Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2 as fast as you can. Then GBAtempers can upload their recorded gameplay to YouTube and post it in the Game Center. At the end of the week, the staff sees who had the fastest legitimate time, and the winner gets XP.

That way, there's a lot less going on, and it's far easier to keep track of. Then, if the idea gets a lot of traction, we could look into GBAtemper VS GBAtemper skill competitions? Just an idea.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Perhaps we could make weekly events, where we pick a random semi-popular game in the GBAtemp Game Center. Ex: beat Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2 as fast as you can. Then GBAtempers can upload their recorded gameplay to YouTube and post it in the Game Center
Even this is better than nothing but, again, very little to do with my idea, of direct confrontation between two users here on the site. Maybe even just a simple card game like blackjack, or drawing the highest card among several available, between 2 users within a time frame (even not at the same time).

Maybe challenges between users of the same section (GBA, NDS, 3DS, PSP etc.) attaching photos of their consoles to prove owneship. Would this also be difficult to plan? Another idea thrown out there...😉

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The bird is the word! +1