• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Minneapolis School District Will Lay Off White Teachers Before Other Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for a start: more guidance counselors, career counselors, and therapists in schools. More individual attention for students, smaller class sizes. Stricter requirements for teachers, much higher pay, and school-funded resources for obtaining supplies, textbooks, etc. More funding for the arts and sciences. Expanded extracurricular programs. Fewer classes per day to allow for a wider scope in lessons and more cool-down time in-between. Individualized testing to highlight students' strengths and help them work on their weaknesses.

Take 5% out of the military budget or corporate welfare to pay for my proposals, done. I can keep going, but let's be honest: I've already put far more thought into this than what was attached to DeSantis' "plan."
Except guidance counselors, career counselors and therapists do not solve the teacher shortage. I do think teachers need access to therapists thought. Their TikTok videos are absolutely insane.

I can agree with you about the schools paying for teacher supplies.

What good are arts and sciences if students can't read, write or do math.

We could have spent $60 billion on education this year alone. Instead it went to Ukraine where it "disappeared".

We managed to find a little bit of common ground. Not bad. And without insults and name calling. I call that progress. :yay:

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So two wrongs (assuming the earlier firing policies even were racially motivated) made a right?.
You're assuming there is a way to be right. But sure, if there was a racially motivated hiring strategy then saying "well we're going to be good from now on and be fair, so goodbye all black teachers who only just managed to get hired" is a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no problem with a mostly-black community wanting to have mostly-black teachers in their schools. Firing people probably isn't the best way to go about it, though, they should at least be giving them the opportunity to transfer to another school district or state.
That kinda gose against equality.........

Just to let you know, cause if you mixed them up you let them experience more races.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How do you not see this as being racially biased, prejudiced or straight up racist?
How do you have an issue with wanting to install more teachers who have similar life experiences to those of their students? The easier it is for them to relate, the easier it is for them to create lesson plans that keep students' attention and focus. Like I said, I'm not in favor of firing the existing teachers, or removing all diversity, but what works for one school district isn't going to necessarily work for another.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you have an issue with wanting to install more teachers who have similar life experiences to those of their students? The easier it is for them to relate, the easier it is for them to create lesson plans that keep students' attention and focus. Like I said, I'm not in favor of firing the existing teachers, or removing all diversity, but what works for one school district isn't going to necessarily work for another.
How do you believe that skin color is the deciding factor in "similar life experiences"? Why does race matter that much TO YOU?

Did you ever care what color your teacher's skin was in school? Did it have any impact on their ability to teach?

If your argument is that people relate better to people of the same skin color, I offer the idea that that concept, itself, is prejudiced, biased and borderline racist.

Skin color has never meant anything to anyone EXCEPT for racists.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you believe that skin color is the deciding factor in "similar life experiences"? Why does race matter that much TO YOU?

Did you ever care what color your teacher's skin was in school? Did it have any impact on their ability to teach?

If your argument is that people relate better to people of the same skin color, I offer the idea that that concept, itself, is prejudiced, biased and borderline racist.

Skin color has never meant anything to anyone EXCEPT for racists.
Hey just a quick question, do you think that black people might have some different experiences to white people after being denied equal rights not even 100 years ago? Or do you think all racism historically was erased along with its generational impacts with the signing of the civil rights act?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Except guidance counselors, career counselors and therapists do not solve the teacher shortage.
Better pay solves the teacher shortage. Even fast food workers do not have to put in all the unpaid hours that teachers do, which makes the former a more appealing job than the latter right now. That should never be the case. Some people genuinely love teaching, but they can only live below the poverty line for so long.

We could have spent $60 billion on education this year alone. Instead it went to Ukraine where it "disappeared".
A drop in the bucket. We have the money to both resist imperialist dictators and also improve our quality of education, we're one of the richest nations on Earth. Corporations do not need welfare, and the military budget does not need to be so bloated that millions disappear into thin air annually.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're assuming there is a way to be right. But sure, if there was a racially motivated hiring strategy then saying "well we're going to be good from now on and be fair, so goodbye all black teachers who only just managed to get hired" is a bit disingenuous.
Which is one of many reasons why seniority is not a favoured method of mine for governing a workforce, though would be a case of sucks to be you I guess and probably get people to cry racism when none was involved (granted that seems to be inevitable regardless of action in a heads I win tails you lose fashion so best ignored pending actual evidence).

As far as way to be right then there is; don't factor in race (plus all the other list of relevant isms) to your hiring/firing policies. Depending upon your setup then can be harder (might have to auto remove names and photos from any CVs you get if you want to be extra sure*, and probably disregard anybody that mentions their race in their CV as anything other than a subject they studied somewhere) but far from an insurmountable problem/pretty much already a solved problem.

*the wastes of oxygen that form most HR departments having been shown to be all flavours of biased when doing the identical CV with different name/photo in the past. Think my favourite was the fat woman, skinny woman, fat man, skinny man in Mexico one.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is one of many reasons why seniority is not a favoured method of mine for governing a workforce, though would be a case of sucks to be you I guess and probably get people to cry racism when none was involved (granted that seems to be inevitable regardless of action in a heads I win tails you lose fashion so best ignored pending actual evidence).

As far as way to be right then there is; don't factor in race (plus all the other list of relevant isms) to your hiring/firing policies. Depending upon your setup then can be harder (might have to auto remove names and photos from any CVs you get if you want to be extra sure*, and probably disregard anybody that mentions their race in their CV as anything other than a subject they studied somewhere) but far from an insurmountable problem/pretty much already a solved problem.

*the wastes of oxygen that form most HR departments having been shown to be all flavours of biased when doing the identical CV with different name/photo in the past. Think my favourite was the fat woman, skinny woman, fat man, skinny man in Mexico one.
I can't help but think about how much I hate Toby every time I see "HR".

Combo breaker.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How do you believe that skin color is the deciding factor in "similar life experiences"?
That can't be a serious question. The Minneapolis Police Department is one of the worst offenders in the nation when it comes to racially-motivated attacks and murders. The poor neighborhoods are mostly black because of redlining and past segregation (which continues to inform current policy). Of course you're going to have a different experience living there as a white person.

I went to a high school with about 2100 students, and precisely 2 of them were black. Every teacher was white. So how am I to know whether including a couple black teachers would've improved my education or not? The teachers I did have told a lot of lies of omission, certainly.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That can't be a serious question. The Minneapolis Police Department is one of the worst offenders in the nation when it comes to racially-motivated attacks and murders. The poor neighborhoods are mostly black because of redlining and past segregation (which continues to inform current policy). Of course you're going to have a different experience living there as a white person.
Don't you know? Racism stopped! That means no one was ever hurt by anything ever once segregation ended!

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I went to a high school with about 2100 students, and precisely 2 of them were black. Every teacher was white. So how am I to know whether including a couple black teachers would've improved my education or not? The teachers I did have told a lot of lies of omission, certainly.
Completely serious.

Please tell me how skin color contributes to your personality. How does being born with a specific level of melanin in your skin and hair AUTOMATICALLY dictate and guarantee specific character or personality traits?

Culture has nothing to do with skin color, and everything to do with character.

Keep in mind that the Minneapolis Police Department had a black police chief a black attorney general and most of its leadership were black, all throughout the 2020 riots. So... it was the black leaders responsible for racially-motivated attacks and murders? How does THAT compute?

I went to a high school with 1,300 students. Precisely 200 of them were white. 90% of the teachers were black. So, I CAN tell you that race has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of a good teacher to relate to their students. Not that anecdotal evidence amounts to anything. Since YOU brought it up, though, we can play tit-for-tat.

You are supporting the idea that it's okay for people to factor in race when it comes to the human species' natural ability to relate to their fellow humans. I firmly disagree with you.

Race has only ever mattered to racists. And sufferers of White Guilt, desperate for an invite to the cookout.

City

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Starting to think that LainaGabranth is a russian bot trying to make the american left worse than it already is. It would make sense because the only people IRL I've seen being serious about ACAB/other retarded takes are furries and they aren't really people to begin with.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starting to think that LainaGabranth is a russian bot trying to make the american left worse than it already is. It would make sense because the only people IRL I've seen being serious about ACAB/other retarded takes are furries and they aren't really people to begin with.
He is a rare and special unicorn, that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!