Hacking Hardware Missing cap on Switch OLED

redmagejosh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
So I got a Splatoon edition OLED I was installing a HWFLY chip. This is my first time working on an OLED and I had an issue during the process due to a failing soldering iron in which I bridged the two caps for the 3.3v.
After cleaning that up and getting everything straight I noticed that there seems to be missing a cap(this is based of other pics I've seen online). I put the switch back together and turned it on and it worked. Did do much testing. Does anyone know what value that cap is or if there is a model of the switch OLED that doesn't have this cap and maybe I'm overreacting?

I've attached a pic highlighting what I think is a missing cap.

Edit: I have a board from a damaged Switch V1 laying around, could I maybe steal a cap from that to fix this board?
Post automatically merged:

Solved. Took a similar looking cap from the v1 and it seems to be working right now.

Attachments

• WIN_20230603_01_14_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230603_01_14_23_Pro.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by redmagejosh,
Reactions: AhsanMC

AhsanMC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a Splatoon edition OLED I was installing a HWFLY chip. This is my first time working on an OLED and I had an issue during the process due to a failing soldering iron in which I bridged the two caps for the 3.3v.
After cleaning that up and getting everything straight I noticed that there seems to be missing a cap(this is based of other pics I've seen online). I put the switch back together and turned it on and it worked. Did do much testing. Does anyone know what value that cap is or if there is a model of the switch OLED that doesn't have this cap and maybe I'm overreacting?

I've attached a pic highlighting what I think is a missing cap.

Edit: I have a board from a damaged Switch V1 laying around, could I maybe steal a cap from that to fix this board?
Post automatically merged:

Solved. Took a similar looking cap from the v1 and it seems to be working right now.
I did the exact same mistake lol. Do you happen to know what the capacitance is? thanks :D

Edit: Also, was your switch working without this capacitor? Thanks again lol

redmagejosh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I did the exact same mistake lol. Do you happen to know what the capacitance is? thanks :D

Edit: Also, was your switch working without this capacitor? Thanks again lol
I took a cap from near BQ24193. It might be a tight larger but so far I have had no issues.
And yes, the switch turned on without the cap. I didn't go far into testing as I didn't want to find out what it being missing broke but so far, so good.

Reactions: AhsanMC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm living out of my car, he better make 600k a year