Suggestion Mod approve before post

xtheman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that the best way to reduce spam is to make it so where a mod must approve a post until the user has say 10 posts or something? That should reduce spam by a lot. (Sorry if this has been discussed my internet is slow and search is taking for ever)

Reactions: CeeDee

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The odds you of you needing to post a picture if you have yet to reach Member status is quite low.

I'd suggest to not allow anyone with a Newcomer status to posts pictures. So you'd need to have at least 100 posts to be allowed to posts pictures.

As I said, I doubt Newcomers would need to posts pictures, so it wouldn't really affect them.
Excepting if the newcomer is a lurker developer with a new homebrew app and wants to add images to his/her thread.

Edit: Ninja'd

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If something like this were to happen, Temp would need to hire more mods.

Hire implies we get paid. We do this all out of our own good will. (regardless of what your inflection was with that I DO understand your point though)

As far as pictures, there is a stupidly small percentage of spam posts (by an actual bot) that contain pictures. By "actual members" there's another stupidly small percentage, and it's almost entirely disgruntled idiots that got banned and now want to take their ball and go home, except it's not even their ball, so they're throwing a temper tantrum.

Shitposts are a different story. If you see someone posting the latest, hottest meemay, laugh at it, report it, and move on. We read every single report. We don't necessarily act on each one, but that does mean we make a conscious decision to reject it. If a post doesn't get removed the second it gets reported, we might have a different window open, might be out shopping, eating dinner, or even choking the ol' chicken if you will. Believe it or not we're human as you are. We also don't get alerts for new reports like we do for notifications (those little pop-ups and the tab icon changing) so we do have to manually refresh the page to check for new reports.

Any automated means are going to turn off new members from posting to the site in meaningful ways, much in the same way that DRM doesn't punish the Pirates, it punishes those who are honest. more than once have I seen a person with their first post being some new homebrew they've developed or even working on an exploit or hack of sorts. So this really all circles back to, if we're talking about actual spam from bots, report it and move on. Don't reply to the thread because it just bumps the post and gets it more exposure. If nobody replies it'll fall off and die anyway. And if you think people find it funny when you reply "ewww no stupid spammer I do not want to buy your pills they probably have aids in them" to a spam post, guess what - it's not funny.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hire implies we get paid. We do this all out of our own good will. (regardless of what your inflection was with that I DO understand your point though)

As far as pictures, there is a stupidly small percentage of spam posts (by an actual bot) that contain pictures. By "actual members" there's another stupidly small percentage, and it's almost entirely disgruntled idiots that got banned and now want to take their ball and go home, except it's not even their ball, so they're throwing a temper tantrum.

Shitposts are a different story. If you see someone posting the latest, hottest meemay, laugh at it, report it, and move on. We read every single report. We don't necessarily act on each one, but that does mean we make a conscious decision to reject it. If a post doesn't get removed the second it gets reported, we might have a different window open, might be out shopping, eating dinner, or even choking the ol' chicken if you will. Believe it or not we're human as you are. We also don't get alerts for new reports like we do for notifications (those little pop-ups and the tab icon changing) so we do have to manually refresh the page to check for new reports.

Any automated means are going to turn off new members from posting to the site in meaningful ways, much in the same way that DRM doesn't punish the Pirates, it punishes those who are honest. more than once have I seen a person with their first post being some new homebrew they've developed or even working on an exploit or hack of sorts. So this really all circles back to, if we're talking about actual spam from bots, report it and move on. Don't reply to the thread because it just bumps the post and gets it more exposure. If nobody replies it'll fall off and die anyway. And if you think people find it funny when you reply "ewww no stupid spammer I do not want to buy your pills they probably have aids in them" to a spam post, guess what - it's not funny.
Sorry, I should have worded my sentence better, you know what I mean. I know mods don't get paid.

Yeah, I agree with what you said for the most part. As you said, you are human just like us, so you have a life and you are busy at times. This is why Temp needs a few more mods (I wouldn't mind helping).

Of course, it wouldn't be a light decision, but it would probably be for the better.

Edrian

Commercial Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes, there's those rare times when there is no mod online and since GBATemp is usually always active, it's hard to approve every newbie post.
Currently there is a good amount of staff though imo.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH