Hacking Modchips Futureproof?

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wondering...... is Nintendo in any way capable of sending out new WII software (now on 2.2) to disable the current modchips?

I am not sure but does the WII console 'ask' for any confirmation to install new software or does it just happens over night when on stand-by? If both are true....perhaps wise to disable connection?

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It hasn't YET forced you to do anything. Standby just makes the Wii query a mail server and see if you have any new emails every 15 minutes or so. Updates so far we have only received an email message saying something new was released. We had to do the update ourselves.

That's not to say Nintendo doesn't have the code in there somewhere. That's all we can assume for now. The next time an update is released, check in here, see if anyone braver than you has done the update and whether it worked or not...

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read, there is no way because the modchip is a drive chip and doesn't affect the firmware. But that is what I read a while back when someone asked about system updates

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo cant force a f/w update into the console. When Wii connect 24 is on, all it does is notify you. When you wake up in the morning, and your disc slot is pulsing blue, its not actually applied the update, its just notifying you that its available. So, leaving Wiiconenct 24 connected is fine IMO. Mine is on all the time.

BUT- Guaranteed, when f/w version 2.3E (in the UK) is released, I wont be updating till I've scoured the forums to make sure someone has confirmed its ok & wont brick chipped wii's.

Im sure if they had a "bricking" patch for modded consoles, they'd have used it by now.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Technically, they can't force you to update, but if you want to play some newer games (Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charged), you will have to update. There is no "No" option when you get to the disc channel.

Btw, how would anyone know anything about the future regarding the chips? Would anyone realistically be able to say with no doubt that they are or are not compatible?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it is against the law for nintendo to brick peoples wii on purpose. The worst case scenario would be we cant play newer games untill someone releases a new chip

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it is against the law for nintendo to brick peoples wii on purpose. The worst case scenario would be we cant play newer games untill someone releases a new chip

what lol ?

nintendo can do what ever it damn well wants if you install a modchip and it bricks your wii cuase your trying to run a new game on it , its your fualt not nintendo lol

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they would brick, but it's conceivable that they could deny you access from using their online service somehow(just a speculation).

Sutto

Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand, they can't release an update that bricks - At least here in Australia where it is legal to have modchips that void region locks. (Hence, once again from what I understand, it's safe - at least here in Australia. All adding a chip (again, see above) seems to do is void your warranty.

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't brick your system because of a modchip because it's legal; that is, the modification of the Wii you own (what is inside doesn't matter since the law doesn't deal with systems that have modchips, only the selling of the chips themselves). An update might be able to find out if you have a modchip, but I sincerely doubt it would be able to find out if you've been using it to play backups as well as prove they're illegal backups (backups are legal if you make them yourself, but illegal if you obtained them).

Never happen. Even if they could, they can't legally do it. They are simply not allowed to act as the investigator, judge, jury and executioner. The system is officially yours and you are allowed to do with it what you wish.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Actually, there is probably a nice clause in the documents that come with the Wii that strip Nintendo of any liability should an update break your Wii modchip or no modchip.

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't brick your system because of a modchip because it's legal.

DMCA.

I edited it to explain what I meant because I knew someone would say that.

Anyways, the only real thing Nintendo could do is find out which systems have modchips and send the IPs to local police. But that would also involve an investigation to find out who modded the Wii, who actually owns it, etc. And honestly no police force would ever go through all that for one case of personal internet piracy.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
An update might be able to find out if you have a modchip, but I sincerely doubt it would be able to find out if you've been using it to play backups as well as prove they're illegal backups (backups are legal if you make them yourself, but illegal if you obtained them).

Um, under the DMCA these things are illegal whatever. It's pretty easy to tell if your playing burnt discs by measuring the jitter, and all burnt discs are illegal under the DMCA. Most NDS flashcarts are also illegal under the DMCA.....

dalger01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In Australia it has been ruled by the Supreme Court, meaning no other force can change the decison, that Modchips are perfectly legal for backup and diffrent region purposes.

Its goes back 2+ years when Sony sued a man for modding the PS2. He claimed it was for backups and such and won. But the appeal from Sony was won as well until it was taken to the Supreme court.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
In Australia it has been ruled by the Supreme Court, meaning no other force can change the decison, that Modchips are perfectly legal for backup and diffrent region purposes.

Its goes back 2+ years when Sony sued a man for modding the PS2. He claimed it was for backups and such and won. But the appeal from Sony was won as well until it was taken to the Supreme court.
not 100% true

Judge ruled one the issue of regions and found them legal, as for "backups", the man who went to court spent 5months in jail and a 30,000 fine

truth is
Mod chip: legal to own, illegal to buy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: