Modder engineers world's smallest N64 handheld

n64 handheld.JPG

Only slightly larger than an N64 cartridge: that's how big (or small) modder Gunnar Turnquist engineered his handheld N64 that plays actual game cartridges. He managed to fit his portable console into a 8.4 cm x 11.8 cm x 4.50 cm (3.3 in x 4.64 in x 1.77 in) package complete with a 3.5" LCD screen, a headphone jack, speakers and a built-in battery that lasts for around 1.5 hours. In comparison, the original N64 console measures around a height of 2.87” (72.9 mm), width of 10.23” (259.8 mm) and depth of 7.48” (190 mm).

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

Even if Gunnar Turnquist completed his project last December, his work officially earned the title of "the world's smallest Nintendo 64 console" by Guinness World Records a couple of days ago. Below you can see Turnquist's video putting the device in action while explaining his design process:

Do you think Nintendo should release an official version of such an "N64 Mini" that also plays cartridges?

:arrow: SOURCE

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think we should all note that the guys NOT in Japan or looking to sell it there either so that debate can end!

Either way.... I'd buy one even if I lived in Japan!

You can do that in emulation devices like the "HD" Nintendo 64 clones.

Again tho, I think you failed to watch the video so this is another pointless argument!

The guys done very well with it and i think we can all agree its pretty sweet!

Reactions: NoNoNeko

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is portable in the same way the Nes Mini and the Snes Mini are, only without emulation.

It is in Japan since 2019.
My man's really thinks this is emulation

Anyway, my biggest takeaway from this that G-man's name is gunnar. Who knew.

This really reminds me that I need to finish my Handheld Wii....

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
...for what? The guy bought an N64, cut the PCB down, and shoved it in an enclosure. Literally nothing about that is illegal in any way whatsoever. :rolleyes:
To be fair, Nintendo is no stranger to cease and desisting anything with their name on it. Not to say I think they will do that with this, since everything involved is legal. But Nintendo is no stranger to poopooing on fans.

Reactions: DerpDingus

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This really reminds me that I need to finish my Handheld Wii....

Unless you are making something just to break a record, like this portable 64, use a decent sized screen. The Wii has many games that use point and click and that really sucks on a small screen.

A huge problem with making portable versions of consoles that use discs is that including a disc player makes the thing very breakable and battery draining. And if you don't include the option to use discs then is not a real portable version of the console because you can't play official games legally, right?

I think that in the "Include the disc player" way the best option is a Gamecube. The discs are small enough and is possible to use something similar to the PSP disc player. No Wiimote, almost no games use Internet... and the Ethernet adapter is external so you can skip it. Then again I have not seen a portable Gamecube include the disc player...

To be fair, Nintendo is no stranger to cease and desisting anything with their name on it. Not to say I think they will do that with this, since everything involved is legal. But Nintendo is no stranger to poopooing on fans.

Nintendo re-patented Nintendo 64 stuff a few years ago.

Last edited by raxadian,

SecureBoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you are making something just to break a record, like this portable 64, use a decent sized screen. The Wii has many games that use point and click and that really sucks on a small screen.

A huge problem with making portable versions of consoles that use discs is that including a disc player makes the thing very breakable and battery draining. And if you don't include the option to use discs then is not a real portable version of the console because you can't play official games legally, right?

I think that in the "Include the disc player" way the best option is a Gamecube. The discs are small enough and is possible to use something similar to the PSP disc player. No Wiimote, almost no games use Internet... and the Ethernet adapter is external so you can skip it. Then again I have not seen a portable Gamecube include the disc player...

Nintendo re-patented Nintendo 64 stuff a few years ago.
Please do a little research my guy. Most people make portable wiis to play gamecube games because you cancut them smaller and play games off of usb backups. Aurelio has made a homebrew program that allows you to use standard button controls in wii games which makes most of the Wii games worth playing playable in a convenient form factor.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@raxidan

This is what a portable gamecube is like:

This is more of a "standard" wii portable (although people have been able to fit one in an altoids tin):

If you're interested in learning about this stuff, go check out Gman Modz, Shank Mods, and Ginger if Mods on YouTube. You can also head to the bitbuilt forums where they have tons of info on custom portables.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Please do a little research my guy. Most people make portable wiis to play gamecube games because you cancut them smaller and play games off of usb backups. Aurelio has made a homebrew program that allows you to use standard button controls in wii games which makes most of the Wii games worth playing playable in a convenient form factor.
That's still using ISOs and not exactly legal.
But aside from that. There are two (well, more, but let's focus on this divide) schools of thought in console modding. One is to get them portable at any cost, the other is to preserve the aspects of the original hardware as much as possible.
The purist school of console modders want to run games from the original media, on the original hardware. The N64 project up there could have used an N64 flashcart to make it even smaller, the limiting factor in the project is the dimensions of the original cartridge because the point was to use the original game medium. That's the challenge.

Look at this mod for example:

HqmoiNv.jpg

https://technabob.com/blog/2010/05/03/gamecube-portable-perfection/

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why not? It's all officual hardware. Not to mention there are some with disc players

Because if it can't play the game discs/cardridges then is not really a portable version in my book.

But aside from that. There are two (well, more, but let's focus on this divide) schools of thought in console modding. One is to get them portable at any cost, the other is to preserve the aspects of the original hardware as much as possible.
The purist school of console modders want to run games from the original media, on the original hardware. The N64 project up there could have used an N64 flashcart to make it even smaller, the limiting factor in the project is the dimensions of the original cartridge because the point was to use the original game medium. That's the challenge.

I didn't get any official licensed portable Sega Genesis because of that... well that and they sucked without hardmodding.

Overall I prefer a mix of portability, playability and confort..That's why I hate the Gamegear Mini even if it is an official sega console and why I hate the GBA micro.

Nowadays you can make a portable with a screen the size of a Switch Lite, is still portable but the screen is big enough, and you have a decent mix of comfort and being able to carry it in your pocket.

Yes I have a Gameboy Pocket but unlike the Gamegear Mini and the GBA Micro the thing is actually decent to play with.

Last edited by raxadian,

SecureBoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Look at this mod for example:

HqmoiNv.jpg

https://technabob.com/blog/2010/05/03/gamecube-portable-perfection/

If you're that much of a purist, you'll play the console at home. If you want as portable as possible you'll get an emulator. This is for the specific subset of people who want 100% accuracy and compatibly.

That's not the point being argued though. The other person is saying that this isn't a real portable because it doesn't have a disc drive. That's not a point you can a argue though. These are console mods. They use the original hardware and change some aspect of the design. If I took the cart slot off of my switch, it would still be a switch.

Because if it can't play the game discs/cardridges then is not really a portable version in my book.

I didn't get any official licensed portable Sega Genesis because of that... well that and they sucked without hardmodding.

Overall I prefer a mix of portability, playability and confort..That's why I hate the Gamegear Mini even if it is an official sega console and why I hate the GBA micro.

Nowadays you can make a portable with a screen the size of a Switch Lite, is still portable but the screen is big enough, and you have a decent mix of comfort and being able to carry it in your pocket.

Yes I have a Gameboy Pocket but unlike the Gamegear Mini and the GBA Micro the thing is actually decent to play with.
You don't have to call it portable, although most people would disagree with you, but you do have to call it a gamecube still.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! always love seeing large consoles being packed into a small handheld. I always kind of hope to make one myself but I'm not really that good at construction or wiring so I would most likely mess something up.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that is so awesome

I feel like people always got these crazy ideas for if they got rich - like they would travel the world or buy an expensive car. But I would be sitting in a room filled with these hacked together portable consoles.
Lol sometimes I think the same, if I'm surper rich I'd ask for a team if developers to make exclusive sequels to my favorite games (then leak them)

Reactions: x65943

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by smf,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The first line of this article says it plays actual cartridges.

That... doesn't actually mean it isn't emulated. That just means it plays real carts. Now, in this case, it is just a Nintendo 64 that's been cut down and put in a case but it playing carts by itself doesn't mean it isn't emulation.

Reactions: raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: