Modder engineers world's smallest N64 handheld

n64 handheld.JPG

Only slightly larger than an N64 cartridge: that's how big (or small) modder Gunnar Turnquist engineered his handheld N64 that plays actual game cartridges. He managed to fit his portable console into a 8.4 cm x 11.8 cm x 4.50 cm (3.3 in x 4.64 in x 1.77 in) package complete with a 3.5" LCD screen, a headphone jack, speakers and a built-in battery that lasts for around 1.5 hours. In comparison, the original N64 console measures around a height of 2.87” (72.9 mm), width of 10.23” (259.8 mm) and depth of 7.48” (190 mm).

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

Even if Gunnar Turnquist completed his project last December, his work officially earned the title of "the world's smallest Nintendo 64 console" by Guinness World Records a couple of days ago. Below you can see Turnquist's video putting the device in action while explaining his design process:

Do you think Nintendo should release an official version of such an "N64 Mini" that also plays cartridges?

:arrow: SOURCE

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait, what

What's the point of the cartridge?
wdym what's the point of the cartridge? The cartridge could be read similarly to how the N64 would, what's the point of a cartridge on a Nintendo 64?

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't.

That thing is made from cleverly trimmed N64 board- It is the legit N64. just with a custom housing and its board torn to pieces. It is not an emulation from the first place.
Then why is that guy saying just because it uses cartridges doesn't mean it isn't emulation?

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Then why is that guy saying just because it uses cartridges doesn't mean it isn't emulation?
I actually have no idea!

He even mentioned that in this case it actually meant it's not an emulation...

seems like he just wanted to imply that "Playing cartridge != actual hardware". I mean, Gameboy also has a clone that runs real cartridge, soo...

Last edited by KokoseiJ,
Reactions: Jonna

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually have no idea!

seems like he just wanted to imply that "Playing cartridge != actual hardware". I mean, Gameboy also has a clone that runs real cartridge, soo...
Not to mention the strange infatuation with the ique

Reactions: KokoseiJ

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now that I take a closer look at this thing...why is the A button below the B button? Also, why unaligned sticks, when for the Wii Classic and Wii U GamePad and Pro controllers Nintendo (wisely) went with aligned sticks, a la Sony?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can do that in emulation devices like the "HD" Nintendo 64 clones.

those devices dont exist yet... there isnt a single n64 clone that play actual cartridges yet on the market incase you didnt knew, he was saying what we might expect in the future, so far no company made a clone console that plays real n64 cartridges at all.

there is people developing them but they didnt release it atleast up to this date and there is no ETA on any n64 clone console that reads cartridges yet.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I'm aware, the only hardware modifications that are prohibited on a more global scale are ones that allow the user to circumvent built-in software protections,

right, those are what I referred to earlier as illegal.

It's not illegal to change how something looks, but it could potentially be a copyright violation in some specific circumstances. If you change how it looks completely then you should be fine, if you don't change it enough you should also be fine.

There is a point in the middle where it potentially could cause you an issue, but it would rely on the look of the original being something that would be copyrightable and also what you change it to also being copyrightable.

If you buy something, modify it to the point where it's considered a derived work and sell it then you may also have to remove trademarks. Which for PlayStation might include the button logos.

But Sony would have to be aware of it and think it was worth their time, which they probably won't and therefore it's probably ok. Like you can probably commit a burglary and never be arrested either.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Because the cartridge is just where the program's data is stored, and it wouldn't be the first time an emulator was made to use a real cartridge as its data source.
I actually have no idea!

That's precisely what I mean. Yeah, this is a cut down N64, but no, one shouldn't just see "uses carts" and go "oh yeah that's definitely not emulated".

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the cartridge is just where the program's data is stored, and it wouldn't be the first time an emulator was made to use a real cartridge as its data source.

That's precisely what I mean. Yeah, this is a cut down N64, but no, one shouldn't just see "uses carts" and go "oh yeah that's definitely not emulated".
You do I understand this isn't emulated though right?

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
You do I understand this isn't emulated though right?
He does understand that, he's just saying that as a general rule, if something uses cartridges, it doesn't mean it isn't still using an emulator.

But he did say he knows this is a cut down N64, and you can even see that in the video the modder created.

Hopefully I understand this correctly?

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ninty should jus officially license. maybe add some backup for onboard games and/or wireless eshop n local / online mp connectivity n call it a day

Jevil_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Only slightly larger than an N64 cartridge: that's how big (or small) modder Gunnar Turnquist engineered his handheld N64 that plays actual game cartridges. He managed to fit his portable console into a 8.4 cm x 11.8 cm x 4.50 cm (3.3 in x 4.64 in x 1.77 in) package complete with a 3.5" LCD screen, a headphone jack, speakers and a built-in battery that lasts for around 1.5 hours. In comparison, the original N64 console measures around a height of 2.87” (72.9 mm), width of 10.23” (259.8 mm) and depth of 7.48” (190 mm).

Even if Gunnar Turnquist completed his project last December, his work officially earned the title of "the world's smallest Nintendo 64 console" by Guinness World Records a couple of days ago. Below you can see Turnquist's video putting the device in action while explaining his design process:

Do you think Nintendo should release an official version of such an "N64 Mini" that also plays cartridges?

:arrow: SOURCE

This is very cool, but it has nintendo switch sticks, you know what that means!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PiiXM51oBo