PS1/2 Modding a PS2 in 2016

link491

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all,

So I picked up an original model PS2 at Value Village today, and I looked into modding the thing so I can reap the benefits of that. Upon checking out this forum, the guide for it appears to be pretty outdated, having been last updated in 2008. So my question to you guys before I track down the components necessary to perform that mod is as follows; Are there any more updated ways to hack my PS2?

Thanks everybody,
-link491

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. AFAIK hacks for older consoles dont change that much because they don't have updates. As long as it is a fat ps2 you should just follow a tutorial.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll look into it!
Just want to add, if you have the newest model of the ps2 slim, the 9000 model, than the only way to mod it is with a modchip. Just wanted to say that since you did not mention what model of ps2 you have.

link491

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just want to add, if you have the newest model of the ps2 slim, the 9000 model, than the only way to mod it is with a modchip. Just wanted to say that since you did not mention what model of ps2 you have.
Did I not? It's one of these, which afaik is an original model:
800px-PS2-Fat-Console-Set.jpg

ned

Trophies
XP
Country

Swap Magic, and Codebreaker + Action Replay through codes can boot homebrew from usb and memory card.
Though swap magic is the prefered method without codes, I had it setup a few years back loading the fmcb elf.

Reactions: cvskid

IAmLeggings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's pretty much 3 options.
1. Get a mod chip (can be expensive ($30 usd) /annoying)
2. Buy a pre-modded memcard (easiest option, cost around $10,but have some small disadvantages compared to a modchip)
3. Mod your own memcard (most fun method, but I'm a big diy guy. Requires an old gift card you can cut, an original copy of one of some 10 or so ps2 games, and a blank DVD you can burn.) Takes some time, but if you already have one of the games and a memcard it's free.

link491

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's pretty much 3 options.
1. Get a mod chip (can be expensive ($30 usd) /annoying)
2. Buy a pre-modded memcard (easiest option, cost around $10,but have some small disadvantages compared to a modchip)
3. Mod your own memcard (most fun method, but I'm a big diy guy. Requires an old gift card you can cut, an original copy of one of some 10 or so ps2 games, and a blank DVD you can burn.) Takes some time, but if you already have one of the games and a memcard it's free.
Do you have any information on how I would go about modding the memory card? I've got an extra one knocking around from my old PSX, and I've always been a fan of diy projects, especially since I have some time right now.

IAmLeggings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well before getting too far into it, do you have any retail ps2 games? Because if not, or you don't have one that's exploitable, it is likely going to cost right around the same to buy the disk, as it is to buy the memcard.

link491

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well before getting too far into it, do you have any retail ps2 games? Because if not, or you don't have one that's exploitable, it is likely going to cost right around the same to buy the disk, as it is to buy the memcard.
In that case, I'll just take the time to track down some of the games form the list of exploitable ones, since I currently only have a small collection of PSX games.

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FreeMcBoot + esr is the best option
Look for the official source!
No solder, no sh*** in ps2.

You can buy a ps2 usb memory adapter and install fmb or you can buy swap magic and use it to install fmb

Chips and swap discs may kill the lens.

Anyway hw mods are not recommed if there s a sw mod!

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fat PS2? Easiest way to mod it is to get the network adapter, hard drive and find the hard disk image that's pre-modded. From there you install FMCB on the hard drive and there you have a modded PS2

As for the hard drive image, Google is your friend

Reactions: Catastrophic

IAmLeggings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case, I'll just take the time to track down some of the games form the list of exploitable ones, since I currently only have a small collection of PSX games.
Well, the most commonly used game is 007 agent under fire, for other games I'd suggest you look through this forum thread:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/ps2-game-swap-trick-list-submissions-62295/

You'd be doing a swap trick, I suggest the least invasive method, where you only need to take off the front door of the ps2 (comes off super easy, no need to mess with the housing).
And the gba temp guide found here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/freemcboot-faq-install-guide.292229/

Is actually quite good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fat PS2? Easiest way to mod it is to get the network adapter, hard drive and find the hard disk image that's pre-modded. From there you install FMCB on the hard drive and there you have a modded PS2

That is true, given you have a network adapter, compatible ide hardrive (which I would suggest either way for game loading), and a way to read said ide drive.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country

Yeah HDD is the best way to go for the most part. Fast load times and no disks required. Just remember that unless you find an IDE HDD that's both good and compatible you're going to need an IDE to SATA adapter and maybe a bit of shitmix to set it up.

Reactions: IAmLeggings

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a fat model using an IDE HDD is the best way to go as it reads faster and has better compatibility with games than USB on all counts. You can also mod the console without FMCB or FHDB by using the HDDOSD method and copying over an image from an already modded PS2 HDD.(several are available for download online)

Here is the compatibility list for PS2 IDE HDDs. It's pretty much the same format as the original xbox HDD list so if you know how to navigate that one you'll be ok.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

Last edited by Daggot,

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally used Agent Under Fire. I got it for around 5$ on eBay. Although a HDD seems like the best method for FreeHDBoot. I have the original hard drive that came with final fantasy and it loads games perefectly.

Koksi__

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Use a PS2 Network Adapter with a IDE to SATA Adapter (Digitus) and then put a SATA 2,5" HHD in your PS2.
Format your HDD and copy your games with Winhiip and install FHD to the HDD.
I use a 1TB 2,5" SATA HDD (Western Digital blue) in my good old FAT PS2

https://circuit-board.de/forum/inde...2-5-SATA-HDD-nutzen/?postID=545438#post545438

look at the last post
This is the Adpater i am using for a while.

Sorry for the german link and the bad english

Last edited by Koksi__,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed