Modular retro console Polymega to receive N64 support

polymega-em05-ultra-module-with-controller.large.jpg

Polymega is a retro emulation device that supports a number of older game systems, from the NES to the original PlayStation. The base unit comes with a disc drive that allows you to run games from disc-based consoles, such as the Sega Saturn, while "element modules" can be purchased separately and attached to the console to run cartridges. Currently there are modules to support the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16. However, the company behind Polymega, Playmaji, recently announced an N64 module will be added to the lineup soon.

In an interview with Nintendo Life, Playmaji CEO & Co-Founder Bryan Bernal said that the N64 has been their most requested module, since there are very few options to legally play N64 games. While he can't guarantee perfect compatibility with all N64 games, he can promise "it will be at a minimum above 90% working great to near perfect." All Polymega modules also come with a controller based on the controller for the console it's based on, and this one is being developed by Retro-Bit, the company behind the Tribute64. Although, it won't be a perfect recreation. It adopts the look of a more traditional game controller and, as Bernal points out in his Nintendo Life interview, it has a 'SELECT' button, which N64 controllers never did, but this design will help give the controller more compatibility with other games and systems.

The new module is expected to release sometime in 2022, and will cost $80.

:arrow: Source

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He gave a non-answer. I did read it and he said nothing on what sources he used.
Lack of evidence against something is not evidence for something

And it was not too hard to find sources that showed which emulators he used and that everything was done by the books

This company has plenty of real criticism that can be leveled at it if you dig deeper but it doesn't have to due with stealing emulators. They have increased price from initial offering, left original crowdfunding backers in the dark for years, changed from arguably superior hardware emulation to inferior software emulation (contradictory to their initial offering) etc. But as far as working with emu devs that they have done appropriately and with tact.

Reactions: ChibiMofo

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So he likely pulled a Hyperkin and lifted open-source code without giving credit. What a dick.
He doesn't really need to give any credit for a free open source software in the first place. That's kind of the whole point, it's free to use without any restrictions.

Depending on the licenses or agreements with the developers he may be required to release source codes

Last edited by Guacaholey,

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I played N64 when I was a kid and I never liked the controller, and it confused me how I'd hold the controller with two hands when it had three handles. :P

Nintendo 64 was a great console. Sucks it had no end labels, though.

Amazon, perhaps.

So even if it's the U.S. Amazon branch, you can import, but keep in mind the customs so may end up costing $500 for an emulation box.

I read that Xbox Series X (and S, maybe?) are great to emulate old games via the Developer Mode ($20).

Yes, the new Xboxes are amazing with retroarch and dev mode, you can get away with PS2 emulation with decent support, which is obviously a big deal. I've always appreciated Microsoft's angle with dev mode, as it obviously means you can run homebrew emulators without fear of being banned or having to even exploit the system.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
He doesn't really need to give any credit for a free open source software in the first place. That's kind of the whole point, it's free to use without any restrictions.

Depending on the licenses or agreements with the developers he may be required to release source codes
if i remember they even hired the emulator devs to mod their emulators for the machine itself so the performance is better and even do some game compatibility stuff and so on.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played N64 when I was a kid and I never liked the controller, and it confused me how I'd hold the controller with two hands when it had three handles. :P

Nintendo 64 was a great console. Sucks it had no end labels, though.

Amazon, perhaps.

So even if it's the U.S. Amazon branch, you can import, but keep in mind the customs so may end up costing $500 for an emulation box.

I read that Xbox Series X (and S, maybe?) are great to emulate old games via the Developer Mode ($20).
oh yes Iagree even the S does good Gamecube emulation with very few hiccups

Reactions: Marc_LFD

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think cartridges have a longer lifespan than discs (assuming both are taken care of properly), and are far more reparable.
And doomed to fail regardless. Nature spares nothing. Eventually it will stop working.
Digital data being copied to newer storage devices is "eternal", as long as it's properly backed up.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Do the modules contain chips to help with compatibility or are they simply for cartridge and peripheral slots?

If it's a glorified cart reader that's a bit pricy

Curious what this thing is packing - is it like android emulation?

Edit: answered my own questions

The system uses Intel chips and a custom Linux distro with open source emulators. The modules are simply to allow carts and controllers to plug in - no additional chips. This is software emulation.

The emulators used are: Mednafen, Mesen, Kega Fusion, and MAME with additional bug fixes, CD BIOS development, and replaced YM2610 for Neo Geo CD from Playmaji.

And here is the hardware specs:
Processor: Intel Coffee Lake S Series Processor
Memory: 2GB DDR4 RAM
Connectivity: Realtek RTL8822BE Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Combo Module, HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, Polymega Expansion Bus
On-board Storage: 32GB eMMC Flash Memory
Expansion Storage: M.2 2280 SSD up to 2tb, Micro SDXC (MEMORY Port on back)
Optical Drive: 8X CD/DVD Slot-in Optical Disc Drive

Price is $450 and $80 for each additional module (but the modules do come with a controller). A bit steep for essentially a Linux box you could build yourself. Nice if you have a big cart collection. The system doesn't allow use of roms in any way.
Even the Retron I find pricy for what it is and it has all the slots in it already. I mean this a cool concept but I don't get the appeal at this price point to anyone either. If you are a cart collector with some money in your pocket, chances are you track down OG hardware as well.

Reactions: x65943

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Too damn lazy to collect and pay dumbass scalpers for highway robbery prices, so I just use flashcarts and FPGA clones out of spite.
These are games I've had since I was a kid. Kept em for sentimental reasons.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Controller looks nice, similar to Hori and Retro-Bit, but the unit's price is insane! Might as well buy a Series X if you can.
best case scenario, aka MSRP, Series X is 420 dollars more expensive than this little thing. series S is 220 dollars more expensive. at this price, it's not a bad deal.
Also ehh, the controller reminds me of the OG xbox slim controller more than the hori/retrobit controllers. especially with those weird looking handles

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
best case scenario, aka MSRP, Series X is 420 dollars more expensive than this little thing. series S is 220 dollars more expensive. at this price, it's not a bad deal.
Also ehh, the controller reminds me of the OG xbox slim controller more than the hori/retrobit controllers. especially with those weird looking handles
This thing is $450 for system + $80 for this add on

So $530 vs $500 for series X

You still save money by getting the series x

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they sold the N64 controller separately from the module for a reasonable price, I'd get one.

Buying a controller for $80 would be steep (I know the "Pro" editions of Xbox/PS pads are pricier).

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An $80 addon to a regular ol' emulation box? And it isn't even some fancy high-quality FPGA thing? I dunno man, doesn't seem worth it to me for emulation options that really don't sound much farther than something you could set up yourself without this box.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An $80 addon to a regular ol' emulation box? And it isn't even some fancy high-quality FPGA thing? I dunno man, doesn't seem worth it to me for emulation options that really don't sound much farther than something you could set up yourself without this box.
N64 FPGA is near-impossible to achieve with current FPGAs due to sheer complexity, we won't see an N64 FPGA clone for some time, if ever. Not that simple.

On a side note, I'm playing original N64 hardware but with a flashcart, HDMI upscaler and third party controller? And it's still cheaper than some overpriced emulation machine.

Reactions: CeeDee and Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck