Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Storm%20on%20Saturn.jpg

Imagine being caught in a thunderstorm as wide as the Earth with discharges of lightning 10,000 times more powerful than normal, flashing 10 times per second at its peak.
Now imagine that this storm is still unfolding, eight months later.
One of the most violent weather events in the Solar System began to erupt on Saturn last December and is still enthralling astronomers, the British journal Nature reported on Wednesday.
Two studies draw on observations by professional and amateur astronomers using a broad range of gear, from relatively small ground-based telescopes to NASA's magnificent scoutcraft, Cassini.
Saturn, like Jupiter, is no stranger to convective storms.
It too is a "gas giant," or planet comprising layers of thick, roiling gases rather than a rock, like Earth, Mars, Venus and Mercury.
The difference, though, is that jovian mega-storms tend to erupt unexpectedly, but the lord of the rings gives birth to a monster almost periodically.
It occurs on average once every Saturnian year -- nearly 29.5 Earth years -- and appears to be linked to the summer solstice, when the planet's orbit brings it a bit closer to the Sun and its atmosphere warms a little.
The event is known as the "Great White Spot" (a counterpart to the swirling "Great Red Spot" on Jupiter) because of the mass of brilliant white storm clouds that erupt in the upper atmosphere.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
BrightNeko said:
emigre said:
The title made me think there was going to be a new Saturn game.

I don't feel alone now knowing 2 other people had the same happen to them ._.

this is a kind of neat news though thank ya poster.
Man... Is the three of you really thinking that this news is about a game?
rolleyes.gif

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
I like planets so I thought of the "lord of the rings" first before the Sega Saturn... but that was my next thought.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
That's just amazing. It's my biggest and wildest dream to have a chance to travel beyond Earth and see other planets with my own eyes. Earth rising in the black sky of the Moon.... Or a sunset on Mars.They say when the Sun sets, the reddish martian sky becomes blue. Sounds sooo exciting. Or to see those rings of Saturn or this very storm... IMHO, much more interesting and exting than those petty human relation problems human bother each other with sometimes. Just my opinion though.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BrightNeko said:
emigre said:
The title made me think there was going to be a new Saturn game.

I don't feel alone now knowing 2 other people had the same happen to them ._.

this is a kind of neat news though thank ya poster.

i tought the same too
tongue.gif

QUOTE(ibis_87 @ Jul 7 2011, 01:56 PM)
That's just amazing. It's my biggest and wildest dream to have a chance to travel beyond Earth and see other planets with my own eyes. Earth rising in the black sky of the Moon.... Or a sunset on Mars.They say when the Sun sets, the reddish martian sky becomes blue. Sounds sooo exciting. Or to see those rings of Saturn or this very storm... IMHO, much more interesting and exting than those petty human relation problems human bother each other with sometimes. Just my opinion though.
i second that

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this was youtube, someone would have posted "thumps p if u thought this was a new saturn game!!!!11".

Anyway, that's what I thought too, but this is a bit more interesting.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I had the same thought, at first I read as "Motor Storm" I was like "Eh?" Then thought "Monster Storm must be a spin-off of Motor Storm by Saturn" but alas....oh well, still good news, atleast I learned something new about this vast blackness we call space.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
If this was youtube, someone would have posted "thumps p if u thought this was a new saturn game!!!!11".

Anyway, that's what I thought too, but this is a bit more interesting.
And if this was Facebook I would have gave you a thumbs up

XD

We're all a little guilty of thinking of the little Sega system... but man, this stuff is always pretty interesting too!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, that looks really cool. A storm the size of earth? Man, that's awesome!

I really want to study space sciences... If only I was allowed... :/

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too thought this was a new Saturn game and expected to see TrolleyDave jizz all over the place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong