OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05...ew-pro-mode.ars

QUOTE said:
Information about a keyboard being included in the Rock Band 3 package was teased in the Green Day: Rock Band demo, and we have now been given some exclusive information by our now-famous Mole about what we can expect from Rock Band 3. Read on to find out what to expect from the instruments in the latest version of the game.
It's the '80s!

There won't actually be a keyboard peripheral sold with the game; instead there will be a keytar-like instrument supported. For those who didn't listen to much '80s music, a keytar is a sort of keyboard with a strap, held like a guitar. The keytar will be the only new instrument for the game.

We were surprised that new instruments were being released at all, since Activision had noted that they were focusing on software and not hardware in order to cut costs. We figured Harmonix would follow what seemed to be a savvy strategy in a world already choked with peripherals. Harmonix will actually be doing something similar, and the peripherals will be created by an outside company.
Mad Catz is bringing the instruments

Mad Catz will be creating all the Rock Band 3 instruments and bundles; EA will only be distributing the software. Mad Catz will be offering many different bundles with different combinations of instruments available, and there will be bundles that are exclusive to certain retailers. If you have guitars, you'll be able to find a bundle for drums. If you need everything, that will be available as well. If a store doesn't want to be saddled with huge boxes, they can simply stock the game.

This will allow the focus of the launch to be kept on the software, and we're told that there will be a "pro" mode included in the game that will require proper technique, and may lead to actual skills on guitars and bass. How this will work isn't known, but it's possible Mad Catz may create a product that more closely mimics an actual guitar.

All this information is firmly in the rumor pile, excluding the Mad Catz connection, but our Mole has successfully broken more stories in gaming news and peripherals than anyone else in this business, so we're confident in this data. It also makes sense: Mad Catz has long had the license to release Rock Band peripherals, and large bundles suffer from thin margins and can be expensive to stock. Giving control of the hardware to a company who knows how to release and ship peripherals makes sense for everyone, and more bundles give retailers a new layer of granularity to stock items based on their needs.

As for the keytar? We have no clue. Expect this information to be confirmed at E3.

Keytar
mellow.gif

rayben

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this is BS. I read something about RB3 adding something to change the way we play music games, but a keytar?

Rock Band: Devo.
devo1.jpg

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Gosh, I don't know how I feel about Mad Catz...

Unless their instruments mimick that of current Rock Band instruments, I don't think I'll like em'.

I'm quite fond of the Rock Band Guitar design. The buttons are easy to press with minimal pressure, and allow for easy hand movement, such as reaching for the orange button. Guitar Hero's are far inferior, in my opinion.
Also, I like the longness and non-clickiness of the strum bar. The Guitar Hero one is much too short... I get blisters on my thumb from using that short, stubby thing.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Few things I note from this.
1. Keytar
If it is true then I can guarantee I won't be buying. It better not be an integral part, we don't need extra gimmicky instruments.
2. All New RB3 instruments
The Good: Madcatz is a third party and some of their stuff HAS been released in the UK so we might just get improved instruments
The Bad: We still don't have the RB2 instruments and if they are under say so from EA and HMX then they might not give us them STILL. Also Keytar is gimmicky and not worth my time.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Few things I note from this.
1. Keytar
If it is true then I can guarantee I won't be buying. It better not be an integral part, we don't need extra gimmicky instruments.
2. All New RB3 instruments
The Good: Madcatz is a third party and some of their stuff HAS been released in the UK so we might just get improved instruments
The Bad: We still don't have the RB2 instruments and if they are under say so from EA and HMX then they might not give us them STILL. Also Keytar is gimmicky and not worth my time.
If it's true and you won't be buying it, why does it matter if it's an integral part of the game? Besides, this is Rock Band, no instrument really matters more than another. It just depends which you want to play.

QUOTE(geoflcl @ May 26 2010, 01:39 PM) Gosh, I don't know how I feel about Mad Catz...

Unless their instruments mimick that of current Rock Band instruments, I don't think I'll like em'.

I'm quite fond of the Rock Band Guitar design. The buttons are easy to press with minimal pressure, and allow for easy hand movement, such as reaching for the orange button. Guitar Hero's are far inferior, in my opinion.
Also, I like the longness and non-clickiness of the strum bar. The Guitar Hero one is much too short... I get blisters on my thumb from using that short, stubby thing.
If you haven't tried the Madcatz instruments yet, you owe it to yourself to try them out. They've done an outstanding job on them, to be sure. They outclass the original Rock Band's instruments by a mile(admittedly they were terrible, so that's not difficult), and they at the very least compare to the quality of the instruments offered with RB2. Though I'd say they're better.

------

And now for my own opinions! If it's keytar vs a regular keyboard, they solves the whole "where do I put it while I play?" problem I was having. At the same time though, this would be yet another different "instrument" to learn, and I'm not sure I'm up for learning keytar. If it was a normal keyboard, then maybe. I guess none of this matters cause all the big stuff will rain down upon us once E3 has arrived.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this:
QUOTE said:
“There is no doubt that the keytar is one of the most ridiculous (yet fantastically awesome) instruments to ever be invented. The poster child of 1980’s hair band rock and roll, the keytar had a fame short-lived. As quickly as pink sweatpants came and went, so did the keytar. It was too quick for my liking.

The keytar is a hybrid that combines the smooth electronic sound of the keyboard with the free-hanging awesomeness (and neck, for some reason) of the guitar. What other instrument can take two seemingly opposite, but equally awesome, devices and meld them into one turbo-amazing musical weapon that challenges the authority of God himself? None.
keytar_hot_girl300x399.png

Apparently some people are passionate

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Keytars? Awesome.

Keytars = Metal. Hopefully Alestorm will make a surprise appearance.
3551963643_9fa2a69c52.jpg

Yes. He has a purple keytar with stickers of sea creatures on them. No, he's not gay as far as I know.
alestorm.jpg

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I knew it! Both Nevervision and Harmonix said that they are moving away from the peripheral market (but I'm skeptical with the Warriors of Rock bundles that surfaced recently...oh well!). To me, this is like a valid excuse for Harmonix so they can "safely chart keyboard parts when a guitar is not played" and to avoid looking silly a la Guitar Hero.

This game will be a day-one purchase for me, no matter what!

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
It would be cooler if they incorporated synth with that as well. I'm talking full keyboard (Or at least enough keys for any song), pitch bend/mod wheels, different setting knobs, and maybe a KAOSS pad if they can get some deal going with KORG. I would cry tears of joy if that happened. It most likely won't, but I can dream...

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SkankyYankee said:
Isnt the original game guitars technically "keytars" ?
Heheheh, It's funny because it's true!

My girlfriend has been like "They need a keyboard for Rock Band!"
So it's pretty cool they're adding a keytar!
It will mix her liking for keyboards with that guitar look and feel.
It will definitely be interesting to learn how to play that while looking at the tv!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2