Moving from ReinX to Atmosphere -- Looking for best guide

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for a while and was wondering the best way to get a ReinX 2.0 switch to the latest atmosphere!
I've heard I may need to backup lots of files too, anyone know where I can find a guide for that and the best tool to do it with? rentry.org's SwitchHackingIsEasy doesn't seem to have that info!

2) Also, I am thinking of getting a 1TB Sandisk Ultra Micro SD Card for the Switch to replace my 128GB MicroSD Card in my switch, is there a guide for putting emuNand and everything else on a new microSD card also?

3) Would 1TB at 120MB/s, Sandisk Ultra have any issues with my launch day emuNand Switch?
Was just wondering if its compatible and what does everyone else use usually?, I wouldn't mind going for 1TB over 512GB despite price if it works perfectly

Last edited by Tails54321,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just depends on what you care about. Are you sure you're actually using emuNAND and not your actual NAND? I don't think ReiNX ever supported emuNAND. Do you know whether your Switch has been banned?

It's been sooo long since I've used ReiNX, but I would just use a save manager (Checkpoint / JKSV / EdiZon) to backup any saves you care about, then wipe everything and start from scratch.

If your Switch hasn't been banned yet, and you've been playing pirated games on SysNAND and want to try to wipe all traces from it, restore your NAND from a backup you took before using ReiNX on it. If you don't have a clean NAND backup, you can try running Haku33 on it. Note that if you've already been banned, there is nothing you can do about it, neither a clean NAND backup nor Haku33 will unban you.

Any 1TB microSD card should work fine, that being said, you should ALWAYS make sure to test it with H2testw or a similar tool before using it in your switch. Even if you purchased it brand new from a reputable retailer such as Amazon or Walmart. Counterfeits are literally everywhere.

Yes, you can clone your existing EmuNAND (if you actually have one) from one microSD card to another. That being said, unless you really don't want to, I'd just start from scratch and then restore your game saves from a backup.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for a while and was wondering the best way to get a ReinX 2.0 switch to the latest atmosphere!
I've heard I may need to backup lots of files too, anyone know where I can find a guide for that and the best tool to do it with? rentry.org's SwitchHackingIsEasy doesn't seem to have that info!

2) Also, I am thinking of getting a 1TB Sandisk Ultra Micro SD Card for the Switch to replace my 128GB MicroSD Card in my switch, is there a guide for putting emuNand and everything else on a new microSD card also?

3) Would 1TB at 120MB/s, Sandisk Ultra have any issues with my launch day emuNand Switch?
Was just wondering if its compatible and what does everyone else use usually?, I wouldn't mind going for 1TB over 512GB despite price if it works perfectly

Just make an emunand on the new SD card.

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just depends on what you care about. Are you sure you're actually using emuNAND and not your actual NAND? I don't think ReiNX ever supported emuNAND. Do you know whether your Switch has been banned?

It's been sooo long since I've used ReiNX, but I would just use a save manager (Checkpoint / JKSV / EdiZon) to backup any saves you care about, then wipe everything and start from scratch.

If your Switch hasn't been banned yet, and you've been playing pirated games on SysNAND and want to try to wipe all traces from it, restore your NAND from a backup you took before using ReiNX on it. If you don't have a clean NAND backup, you can try running Haku33 on it. Note that if you've already been banned, there is nothing you can do about it, neither a clean NAND backup nor Haku33 will unban you.

Any 1TB microSD card should work fine, that being said, you should ALWAYS make sure to test it with H2testw or a similar tool before using it in your switch. Even if you purchased it brand new from a reputable retailer such as Amazon or Walmart. Counterfeits are literally everywhere.

Yes, you can clone your existing EmuNAND (if you actually have one) from one microSD card to another. That being said, unless you really don't want to, I'd just start from scratch and then restore your game saves from a backup.

Ok, just ordered a "SanDisk Ultra 1TB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A1 App Performance Up to 120 MB/s, Class 10, U1", ill check with H2testw when I get it

Also, ive never been online with my Switch so I should be fine right? And yes, I believe it is emuNAND I am using, i have hekate and atmosphere folders but ive only ever used tinfoil, hbstore, hekate and reinX! (reinx is so old lol)

I have a NAND Backup from when I first hacked the switch in 2017

Start over from scratch.

Gotcha, so do I just follow the "How to set up emuNAND with Atmoshpere on Erista (Unpatched)" when starting from scratch? Also, whats the best tool for taking saves and backing them up, do they go from switch -> to pc, then back to the switch? Also, where are switch saves located

Thanks for the replies :D

EDIT: Checkpoint / JKSV / EdiZon, ok, ill try those, thanks RHOPKINS13!

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you wanna keep your save, use JKSV or Checkpoint.

But since your stuff are so old, it's honestly easier to start from scratch

Thanks, also do you know if any version of ReinX used emunand out of curiosity?

Says, 24.9GB of system memory is free, and 53.4 GB out of 128gb of microSD is used, Just wanna make sure i haven't touched my sysNAND

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Says, 24.9GB of system memory is free, and 53.4 GB out of 128gb of microSD is used, Just wanna make sure i haven't touched my sysNAND

Don't think it can boot emunand on reinx anyway.

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think it can boot emunand on reinx anyway.

Wow, interesting, ok ill use JKSV, dunno why DBI MTB is also mentioned as an alternative option, is that a secondary one for cheats?

Ill use JKSV as you've recommended me that one, thanks you!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can use DBI MTP to copy them directly to your PC. But JKSV and Checkpoint are like the golden standard for saving cheats.

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can use DBI MTP to copy them directly to your PC. But JKSV and Checkpoint are like the golden standard for saving cheats.

I see, thank you, so far I Have backed up my NAND to another drive on my pc just to make sure I don't mess anything up!
I have my NAND from 2017 backed up, the one that was still on the switch, as well as the 2021 NAND!

I am just wondering how to use JKSV, I hit a title and press new backup but nothing happens
Just a little confused, am i meant to dump all saves?
I also notice that the saved data is on my profile, In the top left, I see my samus profile picture and on the right are all my saves!

When I try to use the latest version of Checkpoint it doesn't load, that interface seems a lot simpler...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thank you, so far I Have backed up my NAND to another drive on my pc just to make sure I don't mess anything up!
I have my NAND from 2017 backed up, the one that was still on the switch, as well as the 2021 NAND!

I am just wondering how to use JKSV, I hit a title and press new backup but nothing happens
Just a little confused, am i meant to dump all saves?
I also notice that the saved data is on my profile, In the top left, I see my samus profile picture and on the right are all my saves!

When I try to use the latest version of Checkpoint it doesn't load, that interface seems a lot simpler...

You running them off ReiNX right now?

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You running them off ReiNX right now?

Yes, off ReiNX currently!

JKSV works

Edizon came up with a message + red screen saying that im on SX OS, this is incorrect, so i closed it and didnt use that one

Checkpoint, latest version isn't working on ReinX, probably shouldn't have overwritten the nro file with the latest :(

I did however dumped all save files and now have them backed up, i think i did it correctly, is this what it's meant to look like?

Attachments

• FilesSavedImage#1.png
    FilesSavedImage#1.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 31
  • FilesSavedImage#2.png
    FilesSavedImage#2.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 33

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, off ReiNX currently!

JKSV works

Edizon came up with a message + red screen saying that im on SX OS, this is incorrect, so i closed it and didnt use that one

Checkpoint, latest version isn't working on ReinX, probably shouldn't have overwritten the nro file with the latest :(

I did however dumped all save files and now have them backed up, i think i did it correctly, is this what it's meant to look like?

Looks correct

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks correct

Alright that's good, I've got my 1TB Sandisk coming tomorrow which ill test with H2testw, i'll do the next step then, The next step i believe is

"Set up Atmosphere with EmuNAND on Erista (Unpatched)"

Apparently I format to FAT32 with Minitool partition wizard/Hekate, looks like the MPW or pc method as its called seems more simple

Got another question though, which is the best emuNAND type, which do you guys prefer:

Partition-based or file-based EmuNAND?

Looks like there's pros and cons to both, Partition seems better but wanted to ask first!
Post automatically merged:

Ok, so I got my 1TB MicroSD Card today, it is formatted to FAT32 as told!

I also tested with H2TestW and it came up saying write speed 35.9MB/s, is this ok?
It's currently added 9GB in 4:30 min

Now that I want to add atmosphere and I'm on the "How to set up emuNAND with Atmosphere on Erista (Unpatched)" Guide,
I go to Settings 🠆 Data Management 🠆 Save Data Cloud as mentioned but it asks me to update when click the "Save data cloud backup" option, my switch is modded already so updating via internet would brick it right?

I don't see how else im meant to access "Save Data Cloud" , access settings and then disable "Automatically Back Up Save Data" and "Automatically Download Save Data" without updating the switch, any ideas?

Last edited by Tails54321,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have a NAND Backup from when I first hacked the switch in 2017

From what I can tell looking online, ReiNX never supported emuNAND. I highly doubt you are actually using one, regardless of what you see in Hekate. If you're intending on using your Switch online, I highly recommend restoring your 2017 NAND backup. Then go online, update your Switch to the latest firmware, and follow a guide to set up Atmosphere and EmuMMC.

The typical setup, if you haven't figured this out yet, is to leave your sysNAND clean of all traces of homebrew and piracy. Then you can play online, with legit games that you own, without any fear of a ban. The emuMMC is typically stored on a hidden partition on your SD card, and you should limit all your CFW, homebrew, and piracy usage to that.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright that's good, I've got my 1TB Sandisk coming tomorrow which ill test with H2testw, i'll do the next step then, The next step i believe is

"Set up Atmosphere with EmuNAND on Erista (Unpatched)"

Apparently I format to FAT32 with Minitool partition wizard/Hekate, looks like the MPW or pc method as its called seems more simple

Got another question though, which is the best emuNAND type, which do you guys prefer:

Looks like there's pros and cons to both, Partition seems better but wanted to ask first!
Post automatically merged:

Ok, so I got my 1TB MicroSD Card today, it is formatted to FAT32 as told!

I also tested with H2TestW and it came up saying write speed 35.9MB/s, is this ok?
It's currently added 9GB in 4:30 min

Now that I want to add atmosphere and I'm on the "How to set up emuNAND with Atmosphere on Erista (Unpatched)" Guide,
I go to Settings 🠆 Data Management 🠆 Save Data Cloud as mentioned but it asks me to update when click the "Save data cloud backup" option, my switch is modded already so updating via internet would brick it right?

I don't see how else im meant to access "Save Data Cloud" , access settings and then disable "Automatically Back Up Save Data" and "Automatically Download Save Data" without updating the switch, any ideas?

Test the whole card. Partitition base emunand is more popular.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Partition-based is better. Most people have their EmuMMC partition setup at the end of their microSD card. I personally prefer to put mine at the beginning.

Why? Because if I ever want to migrate to a bigger microSD, I can simply attach both cards to a PC and do a raw copy from one card to the other, and use any partition tool I want to resize the FAT32 partition to take up the additional space. With the EmuMMC partition at the end, copying your emuMMC to a bigger card is a bit more complicated. Not impossible or really that hard by any means, Hekate has tools to help with the process, I just prefer it at the beginning. That being said, there are pros and cons either way. For instance, most tools won't put the emuMMC at the beginning, so I have to do it manually and edit atmosphere's config files in order to do it. Also, this "hidden partition", needs to not show up as a partition at all. For me, making it involves creating a temporary ~32gb FAT32 partition, using "dd" to copy my NAND backup to it, and then deleting that partition. Deleting it is kinda scary, but required. Otherwise, if either Windows or the Switch tries to read/write to this FAT32 emuMMC partition (which isn't really FAT32 at all), it'll corrupt your emuMMC.

Tails54321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I can tell looking online, ReiNX never supported emuNAND. I highly doubt you are actually using one, regardless of what you see in Hekate. If you're intending on using your Switch online, I highly recommend restoring your 2017 NAND backup. Then go online, update your Switch to the latest firmware, and follow a guide to set up Atmosphere and EmuMMC.

The typical setup, if you haven't figured this out yet, is to leave your sysNAND clean of all traces of homebrew and piracy. Then you can play online, with legit games that you own, without any fear of a ban. The emuMMC is typically stored on a hidden partition on your SD card, and you should limit all your CFW, homebrew, and piracy usage to that.
Ah, you did mention that, almost forgot! I've used a Wifi connection on my switch since 2017 so i'll restore my 2017 NAND, makes sense! So, Atmosphere switches that use emuNAND can still go online, Interesting, I've heard that banned switches use this feature called LanPlay so that hacked switches can all play online together apparently?

Also, is Hekate the best tool for restoring NAND backups?

Test the whole card. Partitition base emunand is more popular.

Ok, said it'll take 7 hours, is that the usual wait time? No errors so far, i'll let you know if anything comes up

Partition based? Thought so, i'll go with that!

Partition-based is better. Most people have their EmuMMC partition setup at the end of their microSD card. I personally prefer to put mine at the beginning.

Why? Because if I ever want to migrate to a bigger microSD, I can simply attach both cards to a PC and do a raw copy from one card to the other, and use any partition tool I want to resize the FAT32 partition to take up the additional space. With the EmuMMC partition at the end, copying your emuMMC to a bigger card is a bit more complicated. Not impossible or really that hard by any means, Hekate has tools to help with the process, I just prefer it at the beginning. That being said, there are pros and cons either way. For instance, most tools won't put the emuMMC at the beginning, so I have to do it manually and edit atmosphere's config files in order to do it. Also, this "hidden partition", needs to not show up as a partition at all. For me, making it involves creating a temporary ~32gb FAT32 partition, using "dd" to copy my NAND backup to it, and then deleting that partition. Deleting it is kinda scary, but required. Otherwise, if either Windows or the Switch tries to read/write to this FAT32 emuMMC partition (which isn't really FAT32 at all), it'll corrupt your emuMMC.

Interesting, I think i'll put mine at the end as I dont want to mess with atmoshpere config files as you said :)
Very good info though, thanks a lot for telling me about that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments