Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
OK, this problem doesn't happen very often, but occasionally I run into a file on my PS3 that I can't copy or move at all. Usually it's a file I put there myself, like a PS1 game I could just re-rip (so far only one PS1 game ever did that), but today I am trying to copy a file to my hard drive from hhd0/games just to take a look at it and it's giving me this error.

This is pretty serious also because it means that I won't be able to upgrade to a larger capacity hard drive with little problems like this cropping up. The entire file transfer of folders fail and it takes me a while to track down exactly which file refuses to be copied. The files work and don't appear to be corrupted, so why the error? Is there some weird copy protection situation I need to work around?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it say that in the middle of the transfer or does it start out with that message?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
It always happens in the middle of a transfer right at some specific file that refuses to copy. The file that refuses to copy is never over 4 GB. Sometimes it is a file which I transferred from the external hard drive to the internal hard drive.

It just happened again with Final Fantasy XIII. This was a 40 GB rip, and just one file - just one - decides it doesn't want to copy. The weird thing is I have no problem accessing the file or playing the game. It's as if it's copy protected or something.

Is there another file manager I can use? I want to backup the entire internal hard drive before upgrading and I can't.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It always happens in the middle of a transfer right at some specific file that refuses to copy. The file that refuses to copy is never over 4 GB. Sometimes it is a file which I transferred from the external hard drive to the internal hard drive.

It just happened again with Final Fantasy XIII. This was a 40 GB rip, and just one file - just one - decides it doesn't want to copy. The weird thing is I have no problem accessing the file or playing the game. It's as if it's copy protected or something.

Is there another file manager I can use? I want to backup the entire internal hard drive before upgrading and I can't.
I vaguely remember running into this when trying to copy a PS3 game from the internal to the external using mM's File Manager; I remedied this by copying the game from the XMMB instead. I don't know about the same error with other file and folder types though.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I figured it out: It really is because the files were copy-protected. For Final Fantasy XIII I ran into the problem by trying to copy from the game list and by trying to copy in the file manager, but then I selected "set access permissions" under the game (in game list) and it was able to copy flawlessly.

That solves the problem for games, but how would I go about setting access permissions for all files so I can copy them for moving to a larger hard drive? It would be annoyingly tedious to let it back up while I sleep, wake up and see it only a few GB through needing me to manually sift for that one stubborn file and then continue only to happen again and again.

If I understand correctly I am supposed to first backup files in multiMAN and then from the official PS3 backup system, and then with the new hard drive restore in the reverse order, right? If I move all the PS3 and PS1 games to the external, and only have PSN games on the internal, what would be left for me to manually backup?

EDIT: I found an exception to the above. Although almost everything worked after setting permissions there was a single file in Soul Calibur V that, unlike the others, began copying part way through and then gave me this error regardless of the permissions. demo.cpk, a 3.57 GB file. I can always re-rip the whole disc to USB, but what exactly is causing this problem? I am concerned about the longevity of backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same. +1