My switch Volume - keeps turning down when I press Volume +

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello guys all right? Man I'm going through a problem and Would like to know if you can help me again please the volume button – it seems to be triggering alone, an example you can see in the video. Like if I turn up the volume + automatically the volume lowers all until the x symbol is on the speaker, and after that I can not increase the volume by the physical buttons just by the quick shortcut holding the Home button of Joy-Con. I think this should be getting in the way when I start ATMOSPHÈRE by HEKATE too, as you can also see in the video when I start the normal ATMOSPHÈRE it does not enter but if I keep pressed the volume + key while I click on THE ATMOSPHÈRE it loads normally, I also realized that when I turn on logs ON from the Launch I can load the ATMOSPHÈRE also after about 2 attempts. I opened the Switch taking only the aluminum part and took a look at the flat cable and saw nothing different, do not know what may be happening. When I load ATMOSPHÈRE I normally play the games without problems just can not seek to increase the volume by the physical buttons because it downloads everything up to zero, if I click to download it does not respond and if I click increase the volume it does not increase and shows the symbol of the speaker with X, the only way to increase the volume or low and by the Home Joy-Cons button. By any chance if I start ATMOSPHÈRE while I hold the Volume key – does it cancel the start of ATMOSPHÈRE? And strange I suspect the flat cable and as if there was something triggering the Volume key - Do not know what can be already looked and has nothing already tested without the back to see if there was nothing pressing and also had nothing pressing. And I'd like your opinion what it might be. What I've already done: I've rebooted the device several times and it's still the same I looked at the flat cable and it is well seated and the buttons are not pressed.

Physical buttons Volume - it doesn't respond and when I click on Volume + the Volume goes down completely until the X appears on the speaker, so I can't increase the volume except for the quick access by pressing the Joy-Con key.

I think that pressing the Volume - key alone prevents it from loading Atmosphere as if it cancels. I noticed that if I hold down the Volume + key I can load Atmosphere most of the time.

I can also enter Atmosphere when I activate the LOG, sometimes it fails but it almost always enters.

Reactions: Ahmir

foomonger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A blast of contact cleaner in there might do the trick. That would be my first manoeuvre.

Power off the unit first.

Although most contact cleaner is non-conductive, I would give the switch a shake and wait a few minutes before powering up again!

Others will likely have better, more specific cures. :rofl2:

Reactions: SkolGBA

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

A blast of contact cleaner in there might do the trick. That would be my first manoeuvre.

Although most contact cleaner is non-conductive, I would give the switch a shake and wait a few minutes before powering up again!

Thanks for the answer, I'll try that later, if anyone knows anything else and can help me I'd appreciate it.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer, I'll try that later, if anyone knows anything else and can help me I'd appreciate it.

Feels like something shorting out.

Might want to try this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114363791580

1650585959174.jpeg

GregOlts47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have exactly the same problem, though it appeared quite recently. Up to this point, everything worked perfectly. Can you please suggest a solution?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

never do that on a device with a screen, the contact cleaner get inside the screen and damage it.

you need to tear apart your device and clean/replace the volume ribbon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbon-Nintendo-Switch-Console-Replacement/dp/B07BFSRN85

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This model Work with Oled Switch?
I have exactly the same problem, though it appeared quite recently. Up to this point, everything worked perfectly. Can you please suggest a solution?

There are precisely 2 OLED volume cables here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Power-Button-Board/IF378-047

very hard to find…

@randy_w ’s idea to reseat your cable should be tried first before you buy. Free to try and likely to succeed (and gives you practice for opening your switch anyway.)

e:

1) someone said you can plug and unplug headphones to make this go away?

2) also might want to try going into maintenance mode and then reboot (don’t do anything in maintenance mode…just start it up.).

Skip step 3

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Wow
Reactions: SkolGBA and impeeza

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
seriously man, mine was perfect this happened after I opened it to check if the fan was well connected I had just installed the HWFLY chip the day before and everything was perfect. But I can fix it! Are you looking to solve the problem?

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
seriously man, mine was perfect this happened after I opened it to check if the fan was well connected I had just installed the HWFLY chip the day before and everything was perfect. But I can fix it! Are you looking to solve the problem?

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't try to connect the headphones, but I will try but I don't think that's it since I reset the Nintendo Switch. If I don't touch the physical Volume+, the volume is normal and I can increase and decrease it using the JoyCon home button. Thanks for your help Man.

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There are precisely 2 OLED volume cables here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Power-Button-Board/IF378-047

very hard to find…

@randy_w ’s idea to reseat your cable should be tried first before you buy. Free to try and likely to succeed (and gives you practice for opening your switch anyway.)

e:

1) someone said you can plug and unplug headphones to make this go away?

2) also might want to try going into maintenance mode and then reboot (don’t do anything in maintenance mode…just start it up.).

Skip step 3

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode
I didn't try to connect the headphones, but I will try but I don't think that's it since I reset the Nintendo Switch. If I don't touch the physical Volume+, the volume is normal and I can increase and decrease it using the JoyCon home button. Thanks for your help Man.

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try reseating the ribbon connector first, it might not be inserted properly.
Also OLED definitely uses a different ribbon cable as the light sensor is built onto the ribbon instead of the motherboard.
it is well connected, I already warned you that, I just didn't clean it.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is well connected, I already warned you that, I just didn't clean it.
Your problem is pretty straight forward with only a few possiblitys.
  1. The ribbon isn't seated/latched properly
  2. The buttons are damaged
  3. The ribbon is damaged
  4. The connector is damaged
It sounds like you've ruled out number 1 and it's easy to do and test. 2 and 3 will require a replacement ribbon cable. 4 will require replacing the connector on the motherboard.

SkolGBA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Your problem is pretty straight forward with only a few possiblitys.
  1. The ribbon isn't seated/latched properly
  2. The buttons are damaged
  3. The ribbon is damaged
  4. The connector is damaged
It sounds like you've ruled out number 1 and it's easy to do and test. 2 and 3 will require a replacement ribbon cable. 4 will require replacing the connector on the motherboard.
I will inspect properly. I believe and hope it's not the connector on the board. This Switch is new, I used it a little and only opened it to install the HWFLY Chip. Thanks for the suggestions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1