Homebrew N3DS Browser improvements?

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nothing indeed.
(fondly remembering the little amateur web browser for Wii that could download files, I used it quite a lot to bring ROMs directly to the various 8~64bits emulators installed on the Wii)

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using a 3ds to browse the web is laughable. use your phone bruh
it's a bitch to have to open the back of my 3DS and pull out the SD card just to copy over CIAs. And no, FTP isn't a solution when it runs at 10KB/s max and I can't throw up an ad-hoc hotspot on my phone so that also doesn't work everywhere. (I've tried various different setups to get FTP working on my 3DS and the 3DS always hardcaps at 10KB/s. Even with ftpd at 5 simultaneous connections.)

Reactions: Jmbenetti
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idea number one: Get an SD card extension cable.
Snake the cable through the bottom plate. Leave some slake for tension relief and spacing for the AC port, and mount the card slot with 3M double sided tape.

For those who have n3DS, route the excess cable under the upper LCD cover plate.

Idea number two: create a custom stylus pen with a screw on cap containing a Phillips #00 screwdriver at the butt end.

Idea number three: Leave the bottom plate screws loose.

Idea number four: If you're still complaining at this point, trade in your n3DS or n3DSXL for a n2DSXL.

n3DSXL micro SD card extension cable mod.png

n3DSXL Stylus Pen with built-in screwdriver.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

ParzivalWolfram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idea number one: Get an SD card extension cable.
Snake the cable through the bottom plate. Leave some slake for tension relief and spacing for the AC port, and mount the card slot with 3M double sided tape.

For those who have n3DS, route the excess cable under the upper LCD cover plate.

Idea number two: create a custom stylus pen with a screw on cap containing a Phillips #00 screwdriver at the butt end.

Idea number three: Leave the bottom plate screws loose.

Idea number four: If you're still complaining at this point, trade in your n3DS or n3DSXL for a n2DSXL.

View attachment 180022

View attachment 180025
Mine doesn't even have the screws on anymore, they broke off a while ago. This also fails to address slot wear.

God no i'm not taping an extender to it, makes it not only too easy to steal my 128GB SD card, but also it could be snagged on things and possibly ruin both the card and slot all at once. I'd also like a 3DS that doesn't look like garbage, as I'd like to be able to use it in public without constant "what is that?" or "lol are you hacking" or...

And no, i'm not trading in for an N2DS, I rather like the 3D feature, i've dropped too much time and installed too much shit on my current console, and I don't exactly have the cash to get a new one.

Reactions: Jmbenetti

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
it's a bitch to have to open the back of my 3DS and pull out the SD card just to copy over CIAs. And no, FTP isn't a solution when it runs at 10KB/s max and I can't throw up an ad-hoc hotspot on my phone so that also doesn't work everywhere. (I've tried various different setups to get FTP working on my 3DS and the 3DS always hardcaps at 10KB/s. Even with ftpd at 5 simultaneous connections.)
maybe your sd card is faulty ftp on my new xl is like 700 to 1000 kb a second. if you dont wanna ftp there's like a discord server where they distribute a lot of qr codes for games and stuff (look it up) just remote install via fbi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine doesn't even have the screws on anymore, they broke off a while ago. This also fails to address slot wear.
The flex cable adapter does address slot wear by minimizing or eliminating reinsertions to the n3DS(XL) actual reader. Also, that adapter I linked has a clamp style where insertion wear (to the adapter's slot) would not be an issue.

God no i'm not taping an extender to it, makes it not only too easy to steal my 128GB SD card, but also it could be snagged on things and possibly ruin both the card and slot all at once. I'd also like a 3DS that doesn't look like garbage, as I'd like to be able to use it in public without constant "what is that?" or "lol are you hacking" or...
If a thief is ballsy enough to steal your SD card, they would have straight up stolen your n3DSXL.

Get a upper case cover to shield the cable. You would need cut the case around the card slot area for exposure. As for protecting the area around the hinge midsection, I recommend sheathing the cable with nylon mesh.

Who cares what others think when this provides a functional improvement of easy access to the SD card over the standard design. If the cable mod's aesthetic specifically bothers you, find ways to make it look palpable or hold your peace with using the n3DSXL's built-in card reader.

And no, i'm not trading in for an N2DS, I rather like the 3D feature, i've dropped too much time and installed too much shit on my current console, and I don't exactly have the cash to get a new one.
Since FTP doesn't work for you and a homebrew browser that does what you're looking doesn't exist (nor will it likely to happen in the future), either look into installing CIAs to HOME Menu with the (1) Boop + FBI combo or (2) SD card removal method + multi-SD-to-USB adapter. For the latter, find an adapter that's compatible with both your phone & computer. Maybe get an extension USB cable if accidentally damaging or knocking the phone's USB port is a concern when connecting the adapter to the phone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2