Hacking {{N3ds users ONLY}} post your results if you are going to downgrade.

RitzMalh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it a good time to upgrade to (and hack) a N3DS now? I want the better 3D. I successfully downgraded by O3DS, how safe downgrading the N3DS atm?

Is it better to downgrade now when the downgrade process is still new but 10.3 is hacked (so I can retry if softbricked) or should I wait and use whatever new downgrade process they will have for 10.4 (assuming downgrading gets patched by 10.4)? Do we know if there will be a downgrade process for 10.4? If so, are we looking at days or months?

kradrats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3DS XL USA
✔ downgraded 9.5 --> 9.2.
✔ Set up RxTools CFW and EmuNAND, unlinked NANDs, set up coldboot to EmuNAND, installed Cias
✔ Updated EmuNAND to 9.5
✔ eShop access

followed these guides in order with (a very slow and hard fought) success: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zwyl2/four_awesome_tutorials_to_get_you_through_all_of/

Downgrading:
downgrading wasn't smooth. I tried to do it thru browserhax entry point, going into FTPBrony first and then sysupdater but that didn't work. so i setup menuhax and it still wasn't working. and then it eventually just worked because it wanted to, which I hear is the case. But when sysupdater completed and said it was rebooting in 10seconds, it rebooted into a black screen. Was convinced I soft bricked and tried to boot iinto safemode. that didn't work so I was convinced I was full-bricked. Found out that you need to delete your EXTDATA folder. That was scary but I booted into 9.2.

Setting up RxTools CFW and Emunand:
I was a bit more comfortable at this point, I felt like I was more concerned with corrupting my system and having to start fresh from a sysnand backup. Installing the necessary CIAs was a bit difficult. I was following the steps but was getting error messages thrown back at me until suddenly it just worked. Super annoying.

Updated EmuNAND to 9.5:
Went smoothly.

eShop access and other loose ends:
Not too necessary a step, but I wanted my system to function as a normal one would so i made sure i could access the eshop. I also installed HBlauncher-loader so I could access the Homebrew launcher from emunand. In retrospect that was completely useless since homebrew launcher access through emunand seems incredibly buggy. I courrupted HBLauncher-loader which bothered me but uninstalling and reinstalling seemed to work.

All in all a very painful and daylong task, but all is well that ends well. I like to tinker like this so it wasn't too demanding, but this process could be smoother (and prettier).

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I bit the bullet and downgraded my Hyrule N3DSXL from 10.3 to 9.2 with Julian's sysUpdater. Everything went fine, shows 9.2, browserhax works, menuhax works, but I have the situation where I can't install non-legit CIAs with FBI.

Pardon if I'm mistaken, but can't you only install .cias that aren't legit if signature checks are disabled? Wouldn't you have to be running some CFW or something that disables the checks beforehand?

monkey69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pardon if I'm mistaken, but can't you only install .cias that aren't legit if signature checks are disabled? Wouldn't you have to be running some CFW or something that disables the checks beforehand?
Right, I was following the tutorial and booting PastaCFW through HBL, then browserhax back into HBL, then you should be able to install the FBI.cia. I can't.

D

Deleted User

Right, I was following the tutorial and booting PastaCFW through HBL, then browserhax back into HBL, then you should be able to install the FBI.cia. I can't.

Have you tried injecting it into the Health and Safety app?

D

Deleted User

okay just downgraded my n3ds

it was on 9.9, i used iron hax.
i had to first force close ftp brony and after that managed to start downgrade, and it worked without a problem =D

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
done 2 friends'us n3ds xl. both from 10.3 need couple tries to get the sysupdater run. but after press y everyting went smoothly. never having to go to recovery mode.

monkey69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know much about PastaCFW, so I'm out of ideas D: Perhaps you ought to try this thread, though: https://gbatemp.net/threads/pasta-cfw-technical-support-thread.389765/page-23

No worries, thanks for the ideas! I hadn't thought of H&S injection--it was worth a shot. A lot of folks that have downgraded ND3S have been running into this "incomplete downgrade" situation. I'm just going to sit where I'm at for the time being and seeing if anything gets figured out.

Reactions: Deleted User

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i returned both n3ds xl to my friends after those 3ds have fbi n mhx installed.
what firmware did you downgrade from? 10.3 to 9.2,9.1, and 9.0 will just not work for me i always end up with a franken firmware. My japan n3ds downgraded from 10.3 is perfectly fine sitting on 9.1j no problems what so ever

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
what firmware did you downgrade from? 10.3 to 9.2,9.1, and 9.0 will just not work for me i always end up with a franken firmware. My japan n3ds downgraded from 10.3 is perfectly fine sitting on 9.1j no problems what so ever

done 2 friends'us n3ds xl. both from 10.3...
all i did were:
- download 9.2 pack and confirm md5. copy updates to msd using terra copy with test.
- browserhax to hbl, setup menuhax type 1
- menuhax to hbl, enter ftbrony, exit back to hbl then run sysupdater.
- if hbl not run i reboot the 3ds, if it run but the font look weird, i reboot too.
- if sysupdater menu looks fine, i press y.

works both times.

chickenpotpie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
57 tries.
N3DSXL 10.3.0.28U or something to 9.2 *squee*
at first was using a sysupdater found in the tutorial thread
then used a sysupdater found in this thread.
i heard the sound of my 3ds being rebooted right now T-T
gl guys

Whosian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No worries, thanks for the ideas! I hadn't thought of H&S injection--it was worth a shot. A lot of folks that have downgraded ND3S have been running into this "incomplete downgrade" situation. I'm just going to sit where I'm at for the time being and seeing if anything gets figured out.
This might be a stupid question, but did you do the dbs folder thing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: