Hardware N3DS XL Black Screen of Death

Kerpumples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, my bad. Sorry about the misunderstanding. My monitor is set to 2700 K color temperature with the program f.lux, so I ended up missing them as yellow highlightings blend in. I see them now, lol.

The flex cable on the right is indeed the camera module. This one is an rare exception in that it can be disconnected with bootable HOME Menu.
Because of how the camera module, speakers, and upper LCD flex cables are routed in the hinge, replacing the camera carries a high risk damaging the other two. Some people opt to keep 3D mode turned off and never use any games or apps that require camera.

See if disconnecting only the camera cable alone is enough to get the n3DSXL to boot Recovery Mode and/or HOME Menu.

If you intend to replace the camera assembly yourself,

The other cable to the left is the lower screen touch digitizer. It should be relatively easy to replace.

Or have someone else fix it,
You were right, the black camera ribbon being unplugged didn't change anything.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were right, the black camera ribbon being unplugged didn't change anything.
I'm not sure how you wish to proceed. From your reddit thread, you stated that you're most concerned about recovering the save data for your Pokemon games.
You have several ways to go about this.

Option #1
If you backed up and kept the SysNAND *.bin image or essential.exefs when you first hacked that n3DSXL, it's possible to decrypt the contents within the Nintendo 3DS folder and move it to anther system.

Option #2

Buy a refurbished, replacement n3DSXL from Nintendo's official store (see my signature). Swap the motherboards between the broken and replacement systems. You get the motherboard in the working n3DSXL and use it long enough to backup your saves and titles into CIAs -or- continue with Option #1 before swapping the boards back to their original setup.
  • This option assumes the bricked n3DSXL's motherboard is still intact and fully functional.
  • For the broken n3DSXL once data is retrieved, either sell it as-is for parts or go with Option #3 knowing your saves are no longer immediately concerns.

Option #3
Send your n3DSXL to get it repaired by someone else.

Option #4

Outright buy replacement parts for the camera module, touchscreen digitizer, LCDs, speaker assembly, and every other major component that has a flex cable. You basically replace all the accessory parts in the hopes that blanket covers everything.
  • This option isn't cost or time effective.
  • Does not actually guarantee this fixes whatever the underyling issue is.

Edit - You're not limited to these above four (4) options.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1