N64 emulator

KainReaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Just a question since I haven't seen anyone bring this up anywhere, but are there n64 emulators for the 3DS and how well does the first Rogue squadron game run on them?

_FN10_

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a question since I haven't seen anyone bring this up anywhere, but are there n64 emulators for the 3DS and how well does the first Rogue squadron game run on them?
N64 emulators for the 3ds are a thing such as the links that they↑ put. But i tryed one on my old2ds and the best i could get was like 4 fps on smash bros. So if you want to get one you should get it on new3/2ds.

katrasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if anyone had thought about using either Majora's mask or OOT as a starting point to create a N64 emulator for the 3DS. Both of those for the 3DS run nearly flawless and the CIA is actually able to execute and everything with the loading system so you could definitely use a programing shunt the basically removed the original games and then replaced it with a minute that allows you to load another game in the place of Majora's mask. Obviously you would want to give it a new name but as long as you shunted the emulation from one of those two games into another N64 game it could definitely work. I know that they were originally an emulator system that would play the game in a special way but I also know that they had to customize a pile of code for the games to work on the 3DS too. I was thinking about the possiblity maybe not for the older 3DS but the new 3ds it might work.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just wondering if anyone had thought about using either Majora's mask or OOT as a starting point to create a N64 emulator for the 3DS. Both of those for the 3DS run nearly flawless and the CIA is actually able to execute and everything with the loading system so you could definitely use a programing shunt the basically removed the original games and then replaced it with a minute that allows you to load another game in the place of Majora's mask. Obviously you would want to give it a new name but as long as you shunted the emulation from one of those two games into another N64 game it could definitely work. I know that they were originally an emulator system that would play the game in a special way but I also know that they had to customize a pile of code for the games to work on the 3DS too. I was thinking about the possiblity maybe not for the older 3DS but the new 3ds it might work.
why not read the posts here? There is a N64 emulator that's been made.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so you could definitely use a programing shunt the basically removed the original games and then replaced it with a minute that allows you to load another game in the place of Majora's mask.
I'm sure you feel very clever using words like "shunt", don't you?

If it was that easy, someone would have done it already.

Meatball132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those games use approximately zero emulation. They run natively on the 3DS. So no, it wouldn't "definitely work" because your entire premise is wrong.

Also you used the word "shunt" twice there, with entirely different meanings both times, and still failed to use it properly...

katrasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you feel very clever using words like "shunt", don't you?

If it was that easy, someone would have done it already.
I wasn't saying that it was easy to do, I was a programmer years ago but I'm not sure how the 3DS file structures work and I simply don't have enough time to pick through the code to do a decent job of it. I wasn't trying to be cute or sound clever I was simply trying to give ideas on how to do it from my own programing experience and I'll admit I don't know if it would work in the first place but it has is a good idea to try. I have deadilus64 and I can completely mute the sound and everything else and the max frame rate I have any chance of getting is 10 to 15 and then the games are basically unplayable. The other problem I have encountered over and over again is games being almost completely dark to the point where it is like a black and darker black color scheme with little specks of white on occasion. I have seen this problem with most of the ROMs I have. The ROMs are fine it's a emulation issue I know that because I have used those same ROMs on other devices. I own and I ripped the ROMs myself so it's not a source issue because like I said before they run perfectly fine on other devices. I know that the 3DS can run N64 games it's just a question about what is causing the problem. Is it a OS interaction or a code optimization issue. If it's either of those it might be possible to basically steal code from the N64 Zelda ports if it's a case of every ROM requiring custom code I understand how it's fairly hard to get it to work. I was giving the ideas because I hadn't seen anything about trying that so I thought it might not have been tried yet.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wasn't saying that it was easy to do, I was a programmer years ago but I'm not sure how the 3DS file structures work and I simply don't have enough time to pick through the code to do a decent job of it. I wasn't trying to be cute or sound clever I was simply trying to give ideas on how to do it from my own programing experience and I'll admit I don't know if it would work in the first place but it has is a good idea to try. I have deadilus64 and I can completely mute the sound and everything else and the max frame rate I have any chance of getting is 10 to 15 and then the games are basically unplayable. The other problem I have encountered over and over again is games being almost completely dark to the point where it is like a black and darker black color scheme with little specks of white on occasion. I have seen this problem with most of the ROMs I have. The ROMs are fine it's a emulation issue I know that because I have used those same ROMs on other devices. I own and I ripped the ROMs myself so it's not a source issue because like I said before they run perfectly fine on other devices. I know that the 3DS can run N64 games it's just a question about what is causing the problem. Is it a OS interaction or a code optimization issue. If it's either of those it might be possible to basically steal code from the N64 Zelda ports if it's a case of every ROM requiring custom code I understand how it's fairly hard to get it to work. I was giving the ideas because I hadn't seen anything about trying that so I thought it might not have been tried yet.
Buddy, the Zelda 3D titles on the 3DS are remakes from the ground up, they don't use any emulation layers whatsoever, they are native pieces of code from beginning to end. Nintendo confirmed as much and has stated they took extra care to reimplement a few of the glitches the original titles had.

This is not emulation, there is no rom to swap out.

This is closer to the Super Mario 64 decompilation project where they then created a native port for the 3DS after it was finished, and that's the same effort needed for every game that you'd want to play at full speed.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was giving the ideas because I hadn't seen anything about trying that so I thought it might not have been tried yet.
At this point there are many thousands of people who have looked at the 3DS. A lot of them would have lots of interest in getting N64 games running on the 3DS, and probably a lot of them know a lot more about programming than you do. How likely do you think it is that you might have thought of ideas that they never considered before?

I don't know where exactly the developers go to discuss these things where you would "see" them, but it's not around here.

I know that the 3DS can run N64 games it's just a question about what is causing the problem.
The 3DS will never be capable of emulating the N64 accurately with any kind of speed; the only way it is currently possible is by taking a lot of shortcuts – or by completely decompiling and re-writing the code, as in the case of the aforementioned Super Mario 64 decompilation.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

katrasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has been years since I've been in the programing scene but I was able to get N64 games to work on systems that were about half the machine of the 3DS this said I also admit that the device is not anything close to as optimal as a 1995 PC was so I believe that this might be an issue with optimal use. This said I also know that the CFW is a kind of add on or additional app of sorts depending on how it is done. I'll also say that in general CFW has made my 3DS and new 3DS much more stable than before I installed it. I know that my own programing experience is not anything close to what would be needed and I was thinking about a possibility for the purpose of running a N64 emulator. I also thought about another option that someone could potentially use an AI to auto program an emulator system for the 3DS there might need to be some custom alterations made but I know that they can sometimes program or convert between 80 and 95 percent of a code. This was done with unity and unreal and many other game engines and the emulation programming was also a separate thing that someone got an AI to do through various prompts. I'm not even certain that I can do much than provide ideas that might help someone else figure out how to solve the problems.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but I was able to get N64 games to work on systems that were about half the machine of the 3DS
I very much doubt that. Even if you did, they probably weren't working substantially better than they are in Daedalus.

I also admit that the device is not anything close to as optimal as a 1995 PC
The N64 was released in 1996, so what does that have to do with anything!?

I'll also say that in general CFW has made my 3DS and new 3DS much more stable than before I installed it.
You are imagining things. How would you even determine whether it makes things "much more stable"!? Luma primarily removes signature checks and does nothing to affect "stability".

I also thought about another option that someone could potentially use an AI to auto program an emulator system for the 3DS
Holy cow. Please stop writing about things you know nothing about.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
When I tried Daedalus 64 a few years ago, the only game I tried that ran well was Wave Race 64. I don't think I tried Rogue Squadron. Try it on the latest version and let us know.

Trophies
XP
I very much doubt that. Even if you did, they probably weren't working substantially better than they are in Daedalus.

The N64 was released in 1996, so what does that have to do with anything!?

You are imagining things. How would you even determine whether it makes things "much more stable"!? Luma primarily removes signature checks and does nothing to affect "stability".

Holy cow. Please stop writing about things you know nothing about.
I am not imagining things, having CFW allows me to backup and restore my entire system. That alone protects me from bricks quite a ton!!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not imagining things, having CFW allows me to backup and restore my entire system. That alone protects me from bricks quite a ton!!
I don't know what makes you think "CFW has made my system much more stable" is supposed to mean, but most people would not expect it to have anything to do with being able to make backups.

Having a NAND backup doesn't even really protect you from bricks unless you're deliberately messing with things you shouldn't be messing with. Bricks (especially unexpected bricks) are very uncommon to begin with.

(In fact, deliberately re-writing the NAND unnecessarily is probably going to shorten the life of a system more than anything else.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...