N64 with garbled sound, graphics and freezing

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a lovely ice blue console but sadly won't boot properly.

I have multiple known good carts, new video cables, working psu, new 3rd party jumper pak, an expansion pack.

When I first got it it barely booted Mario 64 and if it did, it played the wrong sound effects. Cool, I figured easy fix, probably a dirty cart connection.

I cleaned everything thoroughly, inside and out. Took the cart connector completely off and cleaned precisely.

Reassembled and nothing :( so I ran and got the new jumper pak and video cables to no avail.

I figured it's the expansion pack but I have the same symptoms with the jumper or expansion. If I take out and reinsert the jumper/expansion it sometimes boots and freezes or boots to garbled graphics and sounds.

I heated up the board, mainly around the expansion pak connector to no avail or change in behavior.

Anyone got any clues what is wrong with this console? I'm almost 100% sure it's RAM related but any troubleshooting tips would be welcomed!

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i'll be damned. i got the system to boot and playable in super mario 64, albeit with no sound effects.

it wasn't freezing as i ran around outside the castle so i just let it sit for about an hour at idle.

rebooted and it works fine now. multiple games tested working fine (banjo, glover and mario 64 is all i got). over two days now, its working. wild stuff.

the expansion pak i think is the culprit here. i swapped out to the jumper pak and im leaving it as is. i still have the expansion pak and can test on another system down the road perhaps.

such weird behavior, but it seemed like the ram just wasn't flushing properly. leaving it running for that hour seemed to have filled it or at least cycled out what was it in there previously and now that its clean, it works. just my theory.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
........and a week later, i turn on super mario 64. attempt to enter whomps fortress and a garbled sound effect happens. :huh:

freezes on the star select menu! reboot and freezes when i ground pound. loaded a copy of glover, freezes :(

it has to be the RAM. i guess i have to get a new mobo and swap it in.

Oldyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
it could be the cartridge contact "comb"

the best way to test for this is to play a game & move the game while the game is running , if you get lots of corruption the comb is very loose & probably has patina.

i fixed my own N64 "comb" years ago by dissasembling the console & bending every "tooth" very slightly to make suer it grips the cartridge better - broke some of the teeth in the process and recreated some of them using old PC parts & a dremel tool -
so if you try to manually mod the comb , my advice is to purchase a new one before attempting a mod

another case is that the soldering has mini cracks around the sound chip are, or where the AV outs make contacts on the main card, so resoldering might be needed

Reactions: VashTS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe