Hacking NAND Backup with Bootmii, Wad Injecting, and VC from SD Problems

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok lets start with NAND Backup I have a 512mb card I have been using for a while, but that is obviously to small for a NAND backup, so I decided I would backup my files on my camera's 2gb Scandisk SD card and format it, put the bootmii files on it and tried to back the NAND up, but it says OEMName something please reformat, the SD is format as FAT and I even used some werid Panasonic program to format it and it still wont work what am I doing wrong?

Next I'm trying to inject Cruis'n Exotica 64 into the Sin and Punishment Wad. I have all the files including the common-key.bin I first tried Autoinjectuwad wad injector, but when I hit start nothing happen. So I moved onto Impalers Wad Injector and it seem to work fine, but when I installed the wad and went to play it stayed on the Need classic controller screen, we had gamecube controllers plugged in so it should have worked. Bad rom, wad, common-key.bin?

and last my friend had a virgin 4.0 Wii, but wanted homebrew so we backed up his NAND and downgraded using this tutorial http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...&p=327#p327. So he was downgraded, but still have 4.0 apparently. We took some of his wads and put them on his SD card, but not only would they not launch they wouldn't go back onto his Wii what gives?

As a Bonus is there any other Doom ports beside WiiDoom?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
nand backup is 528 mb
and you really need to format it using bootmii

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok lets start with NAND Backup I have a 512mb card I have been using for a while, but that is obviously to small for a NAND backup,
it is, actually the backup file that creates BootMii is 528MB big

so I decided I would backup my files on my camera's 2gb Scandisk SD card and format it, put the bootmii files on it and tried to back the NAND up, but it says OEMName something please reformat, the SD is format as FAT and I even used some werid Panasonic program to format it and it still wont work what am I doing wrong?
Does the apps showed up on the HBC..?? if yes, then it should work OK.

Next I'm trying to inject Cruis'n Exotica 64 into the Sin and Punishment Wad. I have all the files including the common-key.bin I first tried Autoinjectuwad wad injector, but when I hit start nothing happen. So I moved onto Impalers Wad Injector and it seem to work fine, but when I installed the wad and went to play it stayed on the Need classic controller screen, we had gamecube controllers plugged in so it should have worked. Bad rom, wad, common-key.bin?
Don't worry I'm also having dificulties makiing .wad files lately, just start again by downloading files and everything needed, then re-read the readme files so you ge really sure of what you're doing

and last my friend had a virgin 4.0 Wii, but wanted homebrew so we backed up his NAND and downgraded using this tutorial yafaze SUCKS..!!. So he was downgraded, but still have 4.0 apparently. We took some of his wads and put them on his SD card, but not only would they not launch they wouldn't go back onto his Wii what gives?
First stop going to yafashit, and start reading where the real info is (among a lot of noobs and leechers as me
tongue.gif
) GBATemp, he hasn't downgrade cause you have passed by some error wich you didn't payed any attention and you mainly haven't the cIOS properly installed, the games on the SD don't work probably cause you have screwed something in the SysMenu

Actually the WiiDoom is only the enviroment/launcher to run any doom wad/rom

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bakuryu42 said:
jan777 said:
nand backup is 528 mb
and you really need to format it using bootmii
My friend NAND backup was 800+mbs, and how do I format it with Bootmii?

press "A" over "prepare SD" on the bootmii installer settings, and how can it be 800+MB big if the Wii only has a 512MB flash NAND..??

Yyhhggtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sometimes a 512mb is not really a 512mb in total,my mp3 is a 512, and on total space on the pc or mp3 its 492mb due to corruped data, try use a 1gb,

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Ok lets start with NAND Backup I have a 512mb card I have been using for a while, but that is obviously to small for a NAND backup,
it is, actually the backup file that creates BootMii is 528MB big

so I decided I would backup my files on my camera's 2gb Scandisk SD card and format it, put the bootmii files on it and tried to back the NAND up, but it says OEMName something please reformat, the SD is format as FAT and I even used some werid Panasonic program to format it and it still wont work what am I doing wrong?
Does the apps showed up on the HBC..?? if yes, then it should work OK.

Don't worry I'm also having dificulties makiing .wad files lately, just start again by downloading files and everything needed, then re-read the readme files so you ge really sure of what you're doing

and last my friend had a virgin 4.0 Wii, but wanted homebrew so we backed up his NAND and downgraded using this tutorial yafaze SUCKS..!!. So he was downgraded, but still have 4.0 apparently. We took some of his wads and put them on his SD card, but not only would they not launch they wouldn't go back onto his Wii what gives?
First stop going to yafashit, and start reading where the real info is (among a lot of noobs and leechers as me
tongue.gif
) GBATemp, he hasn't downgrade cause you have passed by some error wich you didn't payed any attention and you mainly haven't the cIOS properly installed, the games on the SD don't work probably cause you have screwed something in the SysMenu

Actually the WiiDoom is only the enviroment/launcher to run any doom wad/rom
I swear the NAND.bin that was created by his Wii was 850 something MBs

1.The SD card loads Bootmii, so why isnt it working? It loads all my apps to.

2.As for the wad injecting i used this site http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/wii-moddin...-into-wads.html as a guide, but really it you just look at the program its pretty straight forward, I saw a wiki a while back that had tested Wad injections and what wads they used for which games anyone know what that was? I don't think im doing anything wrong.

3.So your saying he didn't actually downgrade? so then what happened? And why was he able to install Wads, HBC, etc if he was on 4.0? There something wrong with his Sysmenu? how do we fix it then?

Yyhhggtt said:
sometimes a 512mb is not really a 512mb in total,my mp3 is a 512, and on total space on the pc or mp3 its 492mb due to corruped data, try use a 1gb,I only have the 512 and the gb

press "A" over "prepare SD" on the bootmii installer settings, and how can it be 800+MB big if the Wii only has a 512MB flash NAND..??
Just tried that didn't work, I dunno how it was that big, but I swear it was.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna bump this quick as the problems still remains:

My 2GB SD no matter how I format it will not let itself have NAND backed up on it, I have no other SD cards besides a 512, which is to small.

Injecting Wads: I'd toy around with it more, but I refuse to install WADs untill my NAND is backed up otherwise I'd test more roms/nand injections. Like I said before a while back I was looking into this and saw a wiki that had a list of games they test, and the one I get by google search isnt it.

My friends Wii says 4.0, I followed the guide here http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...&p=327#p327 to downgrade him although apparently a poster said it didn't and messed up his system menu which is why he can't play VC games from his SD card if this is the case how do I fix this? He was able to install HBC, Bootmii, and various WADs so how is the downgrade didn't work or did it?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looking at that guide nothing on it seem to be a step to actually downgrade the firmware. All of that is just to allow you to do softmodding stuff on 4.0 wii's. Did you do those "further steps" as well? cios rev10 will get you an up to date cios to run usb loaders and what not and then IOS downgrader will downgrade all of your IOS's, but still not the actual firmware. For firmware I believe you would need to run cIOS downgrader, but I'm not quite sure if you use that from 4.0. Try looking up one of the guides on here.

As for bootmii, I originally use a 256 MB card for homebrew channel stuff and used my 2gb card for my camera for my nand backup as well. What I did was put the hackmii installer .dol on my 2gb card after reformatting it and running that from it through the hbc then under the bootmii installation tab I had it "prepare an sd card" so it copies all the bootmii files onto it. Then after exiting and shutting it down and rebooting, when the bootmii menu comes up, you go to the backup icon (4th icon on first screen then first icon on 2nd, just in case) and after clicking that it says the card needs to be formatted, so it formats it then rewrites the bootmii files to it again and then begins the nand backup.

And you're sure you backed up your friends NAND that way with bootmii and not some other nand backup app or something? 850mb is pretty weird...

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Looking at that guide nothing on it seem to be a step to actually downgrade the firmware. All of that is just to allow you to do softmodding stuff on 4.0 wii's. Did you do those "further steps" as well? cios rev10 will get you an up to date cios to run usb loaders and what not and then IOS downgrader will downgrade all of your IOS's, but still not the actual firmware. For firmware I believe you would need to run cIOS downgrader, but I'm not quite sure if you use that from 4.0. Try looking up one of the guides on here.

As for bootmii, I originally use a 256 MB card for homebrew channel stuff and used my 2gb card for my camera for my nand backup as well. What I did was put the hackmii installer .dol on my 2gb card after reformatting it and running that from it through the hbc then under the bootmii installation tab I had it "prepare an sd card" so it copies all the bootmii files onto it. Then after exiting and shutting it down and rebooting, when the bootmii menu comes up, you go to the backup icon (4th icon on first screen then first icon on 2nd, just in case) and after clicking that it says the card needs to be formatted, so it formats it then rewrites the bootmii files to it again and then begins the nand backup.

And you're sure you backed up your friends NAND that way with bootmii and not some other nand backup app or something? 850mb is pretty weird...

Well to be honest, I don't think we wants to downgrade at this point, our goal right now is to get his SD loader to work, so how would I go about doing that like I said I used the downgrading guide I posted above so apparently the only thing that guide did was make it so he could do homebrew, which is good because its what we wanted, now the only problem is getting it ALL to work right so what did we do wrong that the SD Loader wont load VC games from the SD card? Also once on the SD card it wont copy back. As for a guide from this site theres this one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835 , but now that I followed the previous guide how do I follow this one?

I've tried the process you did for you 2gb card and it didn't work =\ I don't get it I get the same must reformat error, which I did.

I was there when we backed up his nand I need to call/txt and confirm the size I swear it was big.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm the sd card error thing just might be an incompatible sd card. There are quite a few sd cards that bootmii isn't compatible with in this beta at the moment. Can you use the same SD card you used for your friends Wii? If you can borrow that one just follow those same steps for that card then just copy the nand.bin over to your pc. Then in the event you do brick borrow it from him again to restore it.

And as for just loading vc games from the sd card are you talking about normal vc games or vc wads you installed? If you just wanted to use 4.0 to only load original vc games from the sd card I don't think you had to do anything in the first place...nintendo's main feature of the 4.0 update was to do that in itself. So what exactly is it that you want it to do? In the "further steps" of that guide if you haven't installed the ios60.wad that may be what you need to do to get what you want working, but try to confirm that with some others when you make what you want to do clear.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
hmm the sd card error thing just might be an incompatible sd card. There are quite a few sd cards that bootmii isn't compatible with in this beta at the moment. Can you use the same SD card you used for your friends Wii? If you can borrow that one just follow those same steps for that card then just copy the nand.bin over to your pc. Then in the event you do brick borrow it from him again to restore it.

And as for just loading vc games from the sd card are you talking about normal vc games or vc wads you installed? If you just wanted to use 4.0 to only load original vc games from the sd card I don't think you had to do anything in the first place...nintendo's main feature of the 4.0 update was to do that in itself. So what exactly is it that you want it to do? In the "further steps" of that guide if you haven't installed the ios60.wad that may be what you need to do to get what you want working, but try to confirm that with some others when you make what you want to do clear.
Were trying to get any wad or channel onto the SD card, but im not sure if he tried his real VC games yet, the only problem is like I mentioned before, if he copies it on his SD card and it doesn't work then he CAN'T copy it back which means he has to download it from the shopping channel again which is torture.

why would a SanDisk work? is the a compatibility list somewhere?

Still waiting on anyone got information on wad injecting unless its a touchy subject.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone tried to make a compatibility list for sd/sdhc cards with bootmii. It's not a complete list of every sd card but it has some and still lists what sort of problems can occur due to the sd card you're using.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154883

I'm not sure about the wad injecting, but try looking up stuff on like ios60 or ios60bf or something. I think that may have something to do with getting your sd loader to work as you want it to.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can can anyone confirm that by using this guide:http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...&p=327#p327 I messed up the system menu and need to reinstall the IOS60 wad on my friends Wii?

Also I get mixed reviews on that site about compatibility some people said Bootmii worked fine and everything, but failed to mention if they could back it up, on the wiki it says that Bootmii has "Issues"

Also I swear to god I saw a good rom injecting compatibility list some where and I swear it was in wiki forum just like the one for the bootmii compatibility.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF I bought a PNY 2 GB Micro with SD adaptor and im getting the same problem wtf why can I back my NAND up? how should I format these cards?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From that compatibility list thread:
- PNY 2GB Optima SD - Fail.
Not exactly the same one, but some cards of the brand seem to have problems it seems, so it may be another sd card that doesn't work with it. Would've been a bit easier to diagnose if you bought a card that other people there confirmed to work.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well I though that it would format the card once it was in the right format first, turns out that didn't matter and I just had to hit start
sleep.gif

The last thing I absolutely need help with is my friend is having trouble booting stuff from his SD card, we followed this guide http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php...&p=327#p327, and I just recently tried following the further steps, but he already has IOS60 installed, the he installed ciosrev10 ok, but the IOS downgrader gives him a code dump and so did the cIOS downgrade from this guide, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835 thinking maybe he didn't need to do that part.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOS downgrader is far more important than cIOS downgrader. Figure out how to get that to run. Maybe he just needs to run it again. I know I've gotten code dumps with stuff that worked after a couple tries. If it's not code dumping or giving an error at the same spot every time it might eventually work. Try to see if there's any other reason it isn't working first though.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, unfortunately I was doing this all over the phone with my friend so I could get first hand what was going on I'll give it more tries when I can get to his house. The last thing thats bugging me is this dam Wad injecting BS. I found the compatibility chart the problem is its down! It the one one We Hack Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
    Veho @ Veho: +1