Hacking Question NAND Backup with SX Pro?

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morning,

before I fry my brain going through a dozen or so topics, I'm just gonna ask right away. Before I further mess around with dev menu I feel like making NAND backup to be save. I got the hekate_ctcaer_3.2.bin and the pro dongle. What else do I need and how do I get started?

Also regarding dlc on dev menu, if you already have some installed on your sd card, do you need to remove it or do you just dump newer dlc and updates on top of it?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: comput3rus3r

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morning,

before I fry my brain going through a dozen or so topics, I'm just gonna ask right away. Before I further mess around with dev menu I feel like making NAND backup to be save. I got the hekate_ctcaer_3.2.bin and the pro dongle. What else do I need and how do I get started?

Also regarding dlc on dev menu, if you already have some installed on your sd card, do you need to remove it or do you just dump newer dlc and updates on top of it?

Thanks in advance!
Did you make a nandbackup before you started with SX?
You need a memory card with atleast 29.7gb free. If you have a 32GB card, format it to exfat. if its not 29.7gb you cant do a full dump.

You wont use SX Pro do dump anything. you need to send the payload from PC/Android to load up hekate. Edit : as dsrules said,use external payload option in SX menu
On Hekate - Go to Tools, Backup and create backups of both BOOt0/1 and Raw

Thats pretty much it.Copy the content of your microsd card to somewhere safe

I dont know anything about the dev menu and DLC though,sorry

Last edited by Andalitez,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
First, you have to copy the Hekate bin file and the SX OS boot.dat to your SD. Then, insert your dongle, hold volume plus on boot, go to options, press boot external payload, select the Hekate bin file and use it to backup your NAND.

LysergCooltyp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you make a nandbackup before you started with SX?
You need a memory card with atleast 29.7gb free. If you have a 32GB card, format it to exfat. if its not 29.7gb you cant do a full dump.

You wont use SX Pro do dump anything. you need to send the payload from PC/Android to load up hekate. Edit : as dsrules said,use external payload option in SX menu
On Hekate - Go to Tools, Backup and create backups of both BOOt0/1 and Raw

Thats pretty much it.Copy the content of your microsd card to somewhere safe

I dont know anything about the dev menu and DLC though,sorry
Nah, didn't make a backup prior to using SX since there were no reports of people messing up their switch with sx.

The 32GB card is formatted to exfat. Was using it for SX before I swapped it out for a 128GB one. Will do, thanks!

First, you have to copy the Hekate bin file and the SX OS boot.dat to your SD. Then, insert your dongle, hold volume plus on boot, go to options, press boot external payload, select the Hekate bin file and use it to backup your NAND.
Cheers, that's what I was hoping for.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, didn't make a backup prior to using SX since there were no reports of people messing up their switch with sx.

The 32GB card is formatted to exfat. Was using it for SX before I swapped it out for a 128GB one. Will do, thanks!

Cheers, that's what I was hoping for.
If you have enough space on you 128GB,you can use that too :P

longxa762

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can make a backup without using a 32gb sd card. It will automatically detect your sd card size and split the dump into 1 or 2 gb parts where you can join together after all the parts is dumped.

I did mine with a 4gb sd card and it take like 10 times transferring the parts to my pc

Last edited by longxa762,

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on 4.10 without exfat, so my 200gb sdcard is formatted to fat32 (i'm waiting for emunand from XT or Atmos), will hekate_ctcaer split it automatically to 4gb parts?

LysergCooltyp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on 4.10 without exfat, so my 200gb sdcard is formatted to fat32 (i'm waiting for emunand from XT or Atmos), will hekate_ctcaer split it automatically to 4gb parts?
According to this guide here, it will split them into 2GB parts which you then have to merge.

@Andalitez first formatting failed for whatever reason at 98% so I did a quick one instead afterwards resulting in 29,7GB free space. Got the two necessary files on the SD now and backed up BOOT 0/1 without any issues. Currently doing the same with Raw which is at 11% at the time of this posting. Seems like everything is going smooth.

Reactions: JoeBloggs777

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to this guide here, it will split them into 2GB parts which you then have to merge.

@Andalitez first formatting failed for whatever reason at 98% so I did a quick one instead afterwards resulting in 29,7GB free space. Got the two necessary files on the SD now and backed up BOOT 0/1 without any issues. Currently doing the same with Raw which is at 11% at the time of this posting. Seems like everything is going smooth.
Awesome.
Yeah you can do a split backup but honestly its a pain in the butt. One exfat card with enough space is much better,and the backup goes faster imo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Never do a full format on a SD card!
There is nothing inherently wrong with a full format although it's pointless unless you want to properly erase all the data on it.
It's going to remove one write cycle from the life span, but unless you do full formats all the time that's not really going to make a difference.
Defragmenting however is another matter.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is nothing inherently wrong with a full format although it's pointless unless you want to properly erase all the data on it.
It's going to remove one write cycle from the life span, but unless you do full formats all the time that's not really going to make a difference.
Defragmenting however is another matter.
Yes, defragging is a big no, but to me a full format is still a little no as it's hardly ever necessary and I hate the idea of reducing the lifespan due to a format.

link1227

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANK you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: I forgot I was in this group :skull: