nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
For 2, try letting it sit a few hours. One of my games, lego star wars: the complete saga to be specific, requires 10 min just to load the intro, then another 7 hours to play the intro, and another 30 minutes of holding A down on the main menu for a new game. (But sadly, it thinks the ds cart was removed at that point)
Did you already backup your SD Card files and then format the SD Card with 32kb cluster size? As I mentioned doing that does help A LOT in the loading times.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you already backup your SD Card files and then format the SD Card with 32kb cluster size? As I mentioned doing that does help A LOT in the loading times.
Uhh... did you actually try that lego game again using a newer version than the one you tested it with? Load times are much much shorter than back then...
I will try both of those when I can, but last time i tried (last night), there wasn't much improvement. But then again, I'm not even sure if my sd card is even fat32, particularly 32kb cluster fat32.

I wonder if it was the slow load times that made the game think the cart was removed, or if it has to do with save redirection. Nobody here seems to have commented on this.

Last edited by TimX24968B,

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I will try both of those when I can, but last time i tried (last night), there wasn't much improvement. But then again, I'm not even sure if my sd card is even fat32, particularly 32kb cluster fat32.

I wonder if it was the slow load times that made the game think the cart was removed, or if it has to do with save redirection. Nobody here seems to have commented on this.
Save redirection was the culprit. (Or lack of)

Last edited by TinchoX,

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I thought I tried a release where it was implemented.
Most likely version 0.2.0, try the latest 0.3.1 and see how it goes.
Oh and go for 32kb cluster on your SD card, it works wonders~

Side note again: Somebody keeps messing with the data sheet order/sorting and keeps screwing up release numbers :<
(Then I learned it's the filtering, somebody is messing with filters -.-)

Last edited by TinchoX,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had a good donor ROM assigned
I will try that too when i get a chance.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most likely version 0.2.0, try the latest 0.3.1 and see how it goes.
Oh and go for 32kb cluster on your SD card, it works wonders~

Side note again: Somebody keeps messing with the data sheet order/sorting and keeps screwing up release numbers :<
(Then I learned it's the filtering, somebody is messing with filters -.-)
I'm pretty sure it was 0.3.1, considering i updated to latest offical in twloader at the time.

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I will try that too when i get a chance.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm pretty sure it was 0.3.1, considering i updated to latest offical in twloader at the time.
Alright, you got me confused there.

Maybe next time you may want to state what version you used for your tests so you don't forget like you probably did today, but you don't care to admit it :P

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, you got me confused there.

Maybe next time you may want to state what version you used for your tests so you don't forget like you probably did today, but you don't care to admit it :P
well, that is the only version with the save function to sd card implemented, right? (or 3.0)?

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
well, that is the only version with the save function to sd card implemented, right? (or 3.0)?
Save redirection has been around since 0.2.0

There's THREE 0.3 versions actually: 0.3.0beta1, 0.3.0 and 0.3.1
(Also let's do not forget some ROMS required MCM for saving/loading)

Since versions 0.3.x loading times have been greatly improved and you only need a donor ROM to save/load (No more MCM patching needed anymore).

Off-topic: People keep messing with filters/sorting on the sheet, so I will not be adding/modifying release numbers anymore.

Last edited by TinchoX,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save redirection has been around since 0.2.0

There's THREE 0.3 versions actually: 0.3.0beta1, 0.3.0 and 0.3.1
(Also let's do not forget some ROMS required MCM for saving/loading)

Since versions 0.3.x loading times have been greatly improved and you only need a donor ROM to save/load (No more MCM patching needed anymore).
huh. Well, when my new sd card reader comes in the mail, I will have to try it then, since my current one almost corrupted my friend's sd card (I had to use my laptop instead of my desktop to mod it)

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corrupted? How? Bad/unreadable sectors?
all kinds of issues trying to use that sd card reader. had to fix it from my laptop. but then again, there's no front cover on this card reader since i ripped it out of my old computer and the old front cover was a custom one for a 5.25 inch bay, while it sits in a smaller bay. I also do remember having it encounter static electricity a couple of times, too. do you need pics?

Reactions: TinchoX

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
all kinds of issues trying to use that sd card reader. had to fix it from my laptop. but then again, there's no front cover on this card reader since i ripped it out of my old computer and the old front cover was a custom one for a 5.25 inch bay, while it sits in a smaller bay. I also do remember having it encounter static electricity a couple of times, too. do you need pics?
Wow, no I don't, now I understand the "Corruption" part, have fun with the new card reader when it arrives :P

Reactions: TimX24968B

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest IX (EUR) boots to a white screen. Maybe I could have done something wrong, but it does not work.

It was mentioned earlier that most of the compatible games will be within the first 2000 or so dumps in the set, this game is way beyond that (if memory serves, above 5000 even). There's likely different types of card reads that aren't accounted for within the current release that are causing it to not boot.

Reactions: Nerevarine

GammaLyrae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see active development on this. Freeshop has freed me of cartridges, so I feel pretty comfortable giving an NDS flash cart a permanent home in my cartridge slot, but this is definitely more convenient. Look forward to seeing what comes of it!

Reactions: Stack3r

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
Glad to see active development on this. Freeshop has freed me of cartridges, so I feel pretty comfortable giving an NDS flash cart a permanent home in my cartridge slot, but this is definitely more convenient. Look forward to seeing what comes of it!
I've basically replaced cartridges all together. The development on this is also making it so I don't need my dstwo anymore, I have a dust protector (A rubber cartridge) in my game slot and it never moves.

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've basically replaced cartridges all together. The development on this is also making it so I don't need my dstwo anymore, I have a dust protector (A rubber cartridge) in my game slot and it never moves.
I didn't even know those were a thing until now o.O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!