nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber is around 1200 while star fox command is somewhere in the 800 range in 0-2000 romsets so is there something that prevents them from reaching the logo/company screen or even booting?

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long does Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2 take to start up? I'm only getting white screens.
white screens seem to be more of a "no boot" while black screens seem to be more of a "extremely slow" boot. (at least from my experience). is it a supported title in the sheet?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
white screens seem to be more of a "no boot" while black screens seem to be more of a "extremely slow" boot. (at least from my experience). is it a supported title in the sheet?
Yes.
Nevermind, I forgot to set my bootstrap .nds path in nds-bootstrap.ini.
It works now.

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Super Fun Chess works well and it's number is 3618.

Cooking Mama 3 and Sonic Colors have a strange clicking sound at the beginning with bacl screen, maybe can start after some minutes

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Mario Kart DS:
This was tested with bootstrap 0.3.1, a Mario Kart DS copy and a R4 3DS SDHC Dual-Core flashcard (The flashcard URL has "r4isdhc" in it)

Download Play with bootstrap as host and only DP clients makes the clients hang in the fading Nintendo logo.

Download play with bootstrap as host, a MKDS copy client and a DP client still makes the DP client hang in a fading Nintendo logo.

Download play with MKDS copy as host, a bootstrap client and a DP client makes the DP client start the downloading properly, but after the MKDS games show the "Saving" prompt, the games will desynchronize due to bootstrap loading.

Download play with bootstrap as host and a MKDS copy client desynchronizes after the "Saving" prompt. (same with a flashcard client)

MultiCard play with bootstrap as host and a MKDS copy client desynchronizes after the "Saving" prompt.

MultiCard play with MKDS copy as host and a bootstrap client (quickly) desynchronizes after the "Saving" prompt (The MKDS copy disconnects first)

MultiCard play with bootstrap as host and a flashcard client gets to menu (!!):
-When the game has a loading delay (like when you change character), the flashcard user (funnily) seems to assume the same loading time (except without the sound lag), while this doesn't happen with the MKDS copy. This also means that the flashcard stays synchronized more and you can actually get to the Multiplayer.

-Choosing to play any battle mode (Balloon Battle and Shine Race) and then starting the map makes the game desynchronize.

-There is a random chance that when any loading time happens, it desynchronizes. It seems to also happen somewhat more frequent when you change characters in the bootstrap (specially when you use the touch screen to select a character, apparently). For whatever reason, it also seems random that sometimes it will keep desynchronizing after the "Saving" prompt when you start the host, and the only way I had to fix it is to restarting MKDS in the bootstrap.

-I don't know if this is true, but enabling CPU players and then starting a race seems to make it desynchronize (and consequently makes the game refuse to get to the MP menu like above). The same seems to happen when you start a race with the rules as "By n° of points".

-I think the time it happened the version was 0.3.1 (I hope), when I did actually play a race with a flashcard client! After the race it desynchronized though.

>:( I can't get it to start a race now :/ (I lost patience to keep trying after it kept desynchronizing after resetting the bootstrap game after it failed to start the race after the "By n° of points" case). But I guess it still should be working, but well.

Reactions: Valery0p

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested the DS homebrew WonderSwan emulator DualSwan on the latest bootstrap and it works! Unfortunately, the emulator itself isn't very playable anyways. Neat to know it works though. Too bad the developer moved on from it pretty quickly. It's a nice emulator and even Retroarch's Wonderswan emulator doesn't go past 24 frames, as far as I'm aware.

Use TWLSaveTool to back up your Meteos save, then rename the .sav file dumped to the rom name and put it in your roms folder. That should make it load your save.
Thanks I'll try that.

Last edited by SlimPortable,

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diddy Kong Racing DS cannot boot yet (White Screen)
White Screen?

Um, would you mind doing some steps for me?

A) Turn on DSI Speed with VRAM speed
B) Boot the game & Wait a long time...

Because according to TCRF, it should be a crash screen when it crashes... (And no, no button configuration. Whenever there's a crash, that's what you'll see...)

If there is no crash screen, however, there is a serious bug with nds-bootstrap that doesn't even boot the game...

Reactions: Makore

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Konami Classics Series Arcade Hits Now works 100%! In previous versions of bootstrap it would be stuck on the title screen but now it works great!
image.jpg
Also Intellivision Lives! Also boots now and works now.
Before it would give a error about saving when loading up a game but now it works fine with no lag or anything.
3166kpu.jpg

Last edited by WarioTails358,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
White Screen?

Um, would you mind doing some steps for me?

A) Turn on DSI Speed with VRAM speed
B) Boot the game & Wait a long time...

Because according to TCRF, it should be a crash screen when it crashes... (And no, no button configuration. Whenever there's a crash, that's what you'll see...)

If there is no crash screen, however, there is a serious bug with nds-bootstrap that doesn't even boot the game...
I thought white screen meant that It crashes on boot... unless its a supported title.

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game And Watch Collection 1 & 2 work on latest bootstrap.
Game & Watch Collection 2 gave a save error in previous bootstrap version 0.2.0 but works now.

Reactions: Makore

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YKW? If people are too immature to edit the compatibility list, why do you guys even give them permission in the first place? I think that most problems can be avoided if we make one issue on github per game compatitility to report stuff, like what I did...

If you guys think it would get too crowded, we can make another repo, or maybe have a new thread here...

Then, Robz8 can lock access to the official compatibility list to only him, ahezard and other trustworthy people...

Last edited by NightScript, , Reason: Added alternative methods to clean spam...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guillotine