nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Is there even a point in making a firmware version of this? OPEN_AGB_FIRM is firmware out of necessity because it needs full hardware access in order to function. This software doesn't.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.72.1
Included in TWiLight Menu++ v25.11.0 (GBATemp thread)

Bug fixes​

• The save soft-locking bug in Pokemon B&W 1&2 and some other games has been fixed once again.
  • Fixed communication errors when booting Pictochat or DLP apps.
  • My Healthy Cooking Coach has been blacklisted from using card read DMA, in order to boot.
  • The patch offset cache should now be properly cleared, when found to be out of date.
    • This should fix some games not booting, of which have previously been booted by a prior nds-bootstrap version.
  • After opening the in-game menu, and when closing the 3DS or 2DS console's lid, it'll no longer lock up on black screens.
  • Attempted to add compatibility for SD cards of lesser-known brands, by disabling NDMA before the game boots.
    • NDMA is now always disabled for homebrew.

Alicekchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first time kinda diving into using the bootstrap loader so forgive my ignorance. On the latest version, I've been having issues with loading Dragon Quest V where it'll show the main titles and the go to a castle background and then cycle again. I don't know if this is a new issue that's happening again but I saw that this was a previous issue that should've been fixed in a previous version. I tried two different USA roms and an EU rom and both give the same issue with cycling before getting to the main menu.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my first time kinda diving into using the bootstrap loader so forgive my ignorance. On the latest version, I've been having issues with loading Dragon Quest V where it'll show the main titles and the go to a castle background and then cycle again. I don't know if this is a new issue that's happening again but I saw that this was a previous issue that should've been fixed in a previous version. I tried two different USA roms and an EU rom and both give the same issue with cycling before getting to the main menu.
Try switching to TWL clock speed in the TWLMenu++ per-game settings (opened by pressing Y).

Alicekchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try switching to TWL clock speed in the TWLMenu++ per-game settings (opened by pressing Y).
Okay I tried switching the clock speed to TWL and no change. I also now tried a new JPN rom and tested that as well with both default and TWL speed with the same issue. If it helps at all or makes a difference, I'm using a 2DSXL on the latest CFW and the last release of TWL.

Alicekchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it sounds like an issue related to SD card speed.
Lovely. Is there anything you can think of that I can do to fix it on my end? I was using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card formated to ExFAT before when I initially was having the problem. I also just used a different SanDisk 32GB card with a copy of the ROM on it and had the same issue.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lovely. Is there anything you can think of that I can do to fix it on my end? I was using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card formated to ExFAT before when I initially was having the problem. I also just used a different SanDisk 32GB card with a copy of the ROM on it and had the same issue.
Try downgrading to this nds-bootstrap version: https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/nds-bootstrap/releases/tag/v0.71.2
Post automatically merged:

Lovely. Is there anything you can think of that I can do to fix it on my end? I was using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card formated to ExFAT before when I initially was having the problem.
Do you mean FAT32? Because none of the DS(i) homebrew support exFAT.

Reactions: CoolMe

Alicekchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try downgrading to this nds-bootstrap version:

Do you mean FAT32? Because none of the DS(i) homebrew support exFAT.
Okay so sorry yeah I was mixed up, the card is on FAT32. That's my bad.

So I downgraded to 0.71.2 and that looks to have fixed the issue, it's booting up now normally to the main menu.

Reactions: RocketRobz

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Okay, I guess it's time again for another noob question from me. I'm still trying to run the Shantae dsiware title on DS (using a genuine R4+, r4ids.cn) and it works surprisingly well. I except I'm not getting any music. Same thing with the cartridge on my 2DS XL (but I do get music when running the game as installed dsiware on the console).

Originally I thought it was something wrong with my setup, but I deleted all old files (twilightmenu, nds-bootstrap, etc.) installed the latest and still not getting any music. The game itself doesn't seem to have any sound settings, and I've tried different donor roms. I'm not using the Autoboot/kernel feature. Have I overlooked something? Does anyone else recognize this issue?

Anyway, keep up the amazing work!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I guess it's time again for another noob question from me. I'm still trying to run the Shantae dsiware title on DS (using a genuine R4+, r4ids.cn) and it works surprisingly well. I except I'm not getting any music. Same thing with the cartridge on my 2DS XL (but I do get music when running the game as installed dsiware on the console).

Originally I thought it was something wrong with my setup, but I deleted all old files (twilightmenu, nds-bootstrap, etc.) installed the latest and still not getting any music. The game itself doesn't seem to have any sound settings, and I've tried different donor roms. I'm not using the Autoboot/kernel feature. Have I overlooked something? Does anyone else recognize this issue?

Anyway, keep up the amazing work!
Due to memory limitations, it is normal for the music to not play.

Reactions: Slinger

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah, perfect! I'm actually relieved to hear it's wasn't specifically on my end.:)

I have tried playing that game on the 2DS XL, but honestly the washed out colors (even with 1:1 scaling) are too annoying. Will have to see if I try to find a memory expansion module, a DSi, or just play the remake.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, perfect! I'm actually relieved to hear it's wasn't specifically on my end.:)

I have tried playing that game on the 2DS XL, but honestly the washed out colors (even with 1:1 scaling) are too annoying. Will have to see if I try to find a memory expansion module, a DSi, or just play the remake.
Shantae will not use the Expansion Pak in any way, so a DSi or the remake are your only options.

Reactions: Slinger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So are you playing Mario on your Xbox online on that PlayStation Network?
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, new Doctor Who is on tomorrow... Hopefully this season is better than the last.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, never watched doctor who
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well guys, i went to the library today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What did you learn?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    since my sister said manga was a good gateway into anime, i decided to get a manga, i was going to get one punch man, but volume 1 wasn't there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out. @BigOnYa
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1