nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

CyberTails

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that someone cleaered out the Retail ROMs list on the Compatibility List. So Be Aware of that (I was trying to check a few games to see if how well they work with 0.9.1)

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where can I find an up-to-date list then if I may ask?
there's not another compatibility list right now, I guess their objective is to fill that list again with up to date info since the 0.9.1 update caused a giant increase in compatibility, and donor Roms/carts are not necessary anymore.

Last edited by lordkaos,

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll toss my experiences so far with the loader into the ring. I'm using a New3DS on 11.7 with a 16gb Sandisk SD card, for what it's worth.
First off, the big thing is that the touch screen doesn't function. You can see on it just fine of course, but in games and in DSiMenu++ it doesn't react at all.
Also, the sound volume is much lower than normal, and it's even lower than that when you set the audio quality to high instead of normal.
Finally, I've had to launch everything with quick reboot on. Wanted to try it with it off but it always rebooted to the 3DS home menu instead of loading anything.

[removed compatibility reports to encourage people to add to the compatibility list on google sheets instead]

Last edited by plushifoxed,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll toss my experiences so far with the loader into the ring. I'm using a New3DS on 11.7 with a 16gb Sandisk SD card, for what it's worth.
First off, the big thing is that the touch screen doesn't function. You can see on it just fine of course, but in games and in DSiMenu++ it doesn't react at all.
Also, the sound volume is much lower than normal, and it's even lower than that when you set the audio quality to high instead of normal.
Finally, I've had to launch everything with quick reboot on. Wanted to try it with it off but it always rebooted to the 3DS home menu instead of loading anything.

Anyway, the games I've tried so far:
- SM64 DS: Loads, and gets to "TOUCH THE SCREEN!" prompt, but can't go any further because of the touch screen not working. Guess you could get around this with a flashcart or emulator.
- Chrono Trigger: Loads, plays the opening video which you can't skip because it only lets you skip with the touch screen for some reason. After that it works up until Crono's mom comes to wake him up (freezes on a black screen with her saying "Crono!" where the map would have faded in on real cartridge).
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: Loads to title screen, black screen after picking a difficulty mode.
- Sonic Colors: Works fine, though when you're supposed to have unlocked Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival, they don't actually light up; I assume that's an anti-piracy thing. Also, since the touch screen doesn't work, you can't play the Special Stages, and if you get past the anti-piracy, you won't be able to play any of the other zones because all of them have the part where you have to catch a wisp on the touch screen.
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded: Errors out on the loading screen.
- Ace Attorney Investigations 2 - Prosecutor's Path (fan TL): Errors out on the loading screen.
- Clubhouse Games/42 All Time Classics: Errors out on the loading screen.
- Mario Kart DS: Works perfectly.
- Pokemon White 2: Errors out on the loading screen.
I don't want to sound like an ahole but could you put that in the compatibility list not here?

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Also the touchscreen is currently working. Something is wrong with your install.
That's entirely possible; this is the first time I've ever messed with DSiMenu++ or nds-bootstrap, but there could be other things causing problems. I'll probably try to back up my SD card and format it with a certain sector size, to start with. I'll get it going eventually either way. Thanks!

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anyway, the games I've tried so far:
- SM64 DS: Loads, and gets to "TOUCH THE SCREEN!" prompt, but can't go any further because of the touch screen not working. Guess you could get around this with a flashcart or emulator.
- Chrono Trigger: Loads, plays the opening video which you can't skip because it only lets you skip with the touch screen for some reason. After that it works up until Crono's mom comes to wake him up (freezes on a black screen with her saying "Crono!" where the map would have faded in on real cartridge).
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: Loads to title screen, black screen after picking a difficulty mode.
- Sonic Colors: Works fine, though when you're supposed to have unlocked Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival, they don't actually light up; I assume that's an anti-piracy thing. Also, since the touch screen doesn't work, you can't play the Special Stages, and if you get past the anti-piracy, you won't be able to play any of the other zones because all of them have the part where you have to catch a wisp on the touch screen.
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded: Errors out on the loading screen.
- Ace Attorney Investigations 2 - Prosecutor's Path (fan TL): Errors out on the loading screen.
- Clubhouse Games/42 All Time Classics: Errors out on the loading screen.
- Mario Kart DS: Works perfectly.
- Pokemon White 2: Errors out on the loading screen.
currently pokemon white 2 and kh:recoded are not compatible. Chrono trigger works perfectly with the latest boostrap aside for the AP protection so i would recommend you to get a clean rom and apply the ap patch, if you want to modify the list i would suggest you to update to the latest dsimenu++/bootstrap combination before doing changes.

Last edited by lordkaos,

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I've tried out some games (bootstrap 0.9.1 and TWLoader 6.6.2 if that's important)

- 7th Dragon: errors on loading screen
- Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow: does this weird glitch (AP?) where if you select "new game", it just refreshes the title screen and doesn't actually take you to a new game
- Summon Night X: same weird error as Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow
- CV Order of Ecclesia: seems to work perfectly
- Disgaea: errors on loading screen
- Etrian Odyssey III: seems to work perfectly
- Suikoden Tierkreis: seems to work perfectly
- Soma Bringer: seems to work perfectly (huge deal for me)
- FF 4 Heroes of Light: randomly black screens
- Ghost Trick: graphical glitch / AP? text does not show in scenes
- Infinite Space: errors on loading screen
- Last Window: randomly black screens
- Chibi Robo Clean Sweep: errors on loading screen
- Nanashi no Geemu (first one): black screens after logo
- Okamiden: seems to work perfectly
- Solatorobo: even after getting the save success confirmation, game does not actually save. I also received the "you found nothing" issue described by someone else in the thread. Seems to be an AP issue.
- Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble: seems to work perfectly
- Tales of Innocence: errors on loading screen

It's an awesome update and the load times are crazy fast, definitely a lot more work to be done as far as compatibility goes though.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, so I've tried out some games (bootstrap 0.9.1 and TWLoader 6.6.2 if that's important)

- Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow: does this weird glitch (AP?) where if you select "new game", it just refreshes the title screen and doesn't actually take you to a new game
- Solatorobo: even after getting the save success confirmation, game does not actually save. I also received the "you found nothing" issue described by someone else in the thread. Seems to be an AP issue.

It's an awesome update and the load times are crazy fast, definitely a lot more work to be done as far as compatibility goes though.
Sounds great. But have you not read this threads posts for this page your on? A few posts up its been asked to post this on the compatability list and not here.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Guys we do have a compatibility spreadsheet you can put this in. Lol.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: