Not open for further replies.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed quite a lot of necrobumps lately, most I'd say under 5 year old threads but a good few surpassing 10 years. Most of them are just new accounts trying to up their post count.

Is it possible or even feasible to lock threads after a certain amount of time has passed?

I'd say after 10 years for sure nothing of value can be added or taken away from such a thread... Hell even 5 years is a bit much but I'm only throwing the idea out there!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The trouble would come is that it has to go on a case by case basis as to what gets locked.

ROMs tend to remain ROMs... more or less forever (when disassemblies and decompilations come onto the scene then things might change).

Homebrew is not much better.

Tools to edit either might well be or have to be vintage (see how much fun with various versions of devkitpro there were, even before the devs of it decided to do all they did with old versions) to achieve some goal and that means most of the same problems still get faced.

For the most part necromancy tends to only be bad for post count gatherers just adding a "I agree" or something, and for those actual spammers that find a thread here as the first/high result for a common tech term in search engines -- I made a thread discussing paid essay writing services a while back as a general interest topic and it routinely gets bumped by those wishing to plug their own services (though several of them are quite good and will say something banal and edit in links later), random computer terms tend to be another. Watching people post something inconsequential to see if it unlocks downloads in the release threads is always amusing though.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say delete the fkn things. I got a warning just a little while back, an didn't know I couldn't comment on it. So, fkn delete them! Look at my profile and see the warning I got. So fk it! :angry: And also on the buy and sell threads, why not also delete the ones that are also Dead? Bullchit to this :angry:

Last edited by AncientBoi,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I apologised to the user in the other thread, I'm being a dick.

I still think an auto lock after a certain time could be implemented tho bur that's just my opinion!
I understand your point, but I disagree.

On this particular website, there are resources for long dead stuff, many of those are not "hot topic" anymore, and there is some stuff that were born oddball and obscure and the time make it even more hidden. For example, if you have an old flashcard, or you hacked your wii very early on and need help, where else on internet you going to find help?

Methanoid

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder why this is being debated when we have a whole sub forum devoted to pointless and useless posts from people who clearly have zero interest in what GBAtemp was meant to be!! If people feel a desperate need to change the forum, delete that whole section PLEASE!

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I wonder why this is being debated when we have a whole sub forum devoted to pointless and useless posts from people who clearly have zero interest in what GBAtemp was meant to be!! If people feel a desperate need to change the forum, delete that whole section PLEASE!
Nowadays, In lots of communities, Off-topic categories have its very purpose- making the community more active by not limiting topics. you can't always expect people to stay on-topic and talk about consoles 24/7. they need places to relax and talk about stuffs they want to, or just hang out in peace. Off-topic exists because of that. as a result, we have more active forum which users like to come by time to time.

Not to mention lots of people are still active in other categories at the same time, not spamming off-topic all day long.

Last edited by KokoseiJ,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Honestly,I have nothing against Necrobumping in general.
It shows us,that the User(s) do that,what we "expect" from them.

SEARCH before POSTING.
(Ok,maybe they have then some Issues with "Date Reading",but,they have searched...)

....I remember on such Teaching "Avalanches" if a User did not do a "Search" before he post....:)

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly,I have nothing against Necrobumping in general.
It shows us,that the User(s) do that,what we "expect" from them.

SEARCH before POSTING.
(Ok,maybe they have then some Issues with "Date Reading",but,they have searched...)

....I remember on such Teaching "Avalanches" if a User did not do a "Search" before he post....:)

Thank you. Exactly what I was saying

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But if we are going to have sections for current consoles then we kind of have to suffer the Switch one.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Worst part is when someone revives an old post, you don't realize it and post on it too :P
I'm pretty sure people find old posts through the similar posts tab on the bottom and google search
I honestly never pay mind to the dates of threads. It's such a needless first-world problem in the grand scheme of things. And one bumped thread here and there isn't "flooding the forums" with necros.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, the switch section is good cause it contains toxic noobs, meaning they won't spread
Proper forum sectioning has seldom stopped such things entirely for long. We suspect the same flaws that render stickies invisible to them also allow them to bypass the mental blocks everybody else has as far as trying to suitably categorise their post. Sadly research is slow as nobody wants to go near them to study them in depth.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wonder why this is being debated when we have a whole sub forum devoted to pointless and useless posts from people who clearly have zero interest in what GBAtemp was meant to be!!

GBAtemp was meant to be a site hosting the latest 10 GBA ROMs as they are released. Hence the name, GBA (ROMs), temporarily. GBAtemp. Everything else came afterwards and, technically, is not what GBAtemp is "meant to be."

But if we are going to have sections for current consoles then we kind of have to suffer the Switch one.
p1ng, you forgot to switch accounts before posting that :tpi:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
p1ng, you forgot to switch accounts before posting that :tpi:
He and I were both early sufferers of the Switch, indeed experiencing it first within minutes of each other (I too was at the ill fated Switch launch press/"influencers" event after all).
While his dislike of it has since gone on to far eclipse mine (I am mostly content to ignore it pending it actually getting some games) I do still harbour something of my own.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ehh i don't know about locking old threads, I'm fine with necrobumping since it increases the chances of a problem being solved by a tiny bit. People have questions for unsolved threads all the time, and a good portion of the time the necrobump actually lets the thread get a final answer since it's so old and people just want to be done with the topic.

Without the necrobumps the forums would have tons of redundant questions for people to have to scroll through, and it would cause the lazy ones to make yet another thread once they get tired of fruitlessly looking through old locked posts to find an answer.

it's also funny to see a new user ask a question on a 2009 thread as if the creator of the thread has even used their account in the past 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game