Homebrew Need help with vWii gc adapter for project M

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries! Take your time @wilm0x42. If the improved IOS compatibility results in cIOS support, PM launcher compatibility wouldn't be critical since custom ISOs could be built.

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries! Take your time @wilm0x42. If the improved IOS compatibility results in cIOS support, PM launcher compatibility wouldn't be critical since custom ISOs could be built.
Well, one of the biggest motives I've had in this project is making PM more accessible, which means the least knowledgeable user (No homebrew channel installed, launching the PM launcher straight from smash stack) is still a big concern to me. I don't want to forget about them any more than about you guys. I'll definitely put out a v0.2 as soon as USB loaders work, though!

(Of course the other motive was me being able to play PM on a non-gc-compatible wii. :P :P)

Reactions: frogboy and JacobM

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep forgetting the smash stack route is still used. I'm more of a lazy gamer. If I can avoid getting up to change discs, I will :P

Good luck with everything! After this week I am available to test things out if needed.

I don't think Smash Stack switches the IOS

Last edited by JacobM,

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not Smash Stack, the Project M Launcher.
Supposedly, the PM launcher enables the use of SDHC cards with Brawl (Specifically when using the file patch code that most Brawl hacks use.)
That, paired with some suspicious behaviour of IOS_Open() when launched this way, is what leads me to believe this is the case.
It wouldn't explain everything, but it would make sense.

Also-- thanks, testing is much appreciated!

Reactions: JacobM

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe IOS 36 supports SDHC natively, it is Brawl's programming which disables SDHC (for whatever reason). I think mods like PM just remove that check/disable function built into Brawl natively. To my knowledge, no IOS switch is ever done from the point you boot Brawl to the point PM boots, but that IOS_Open is suspicious. I'll see if I can come up with a way to poll the active IOS.

I haven't tinkered with Dolphin much, but shouldn't it be possible to see if any IOS file is read by the OS in the few seconds between Smash Stack and the launcher loading?

EDIT: eh, maybe I'm wrong... aparently SDHC didn't make it to the system menu until IOS 60 / System Menu 4.0

Not sure if this is relevant... https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/10663#note-2

Last edited by JacobM,

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a group of friends over last night and we tested both @wilm0x42 (SSBB) and @Chadderz (MKW) GameCube adapter implementations for about 3 hours each with all 4 controllers being used. Amazingly, we never encountered any glitch/crash/lag spike during the entire session! Thank you both for cooking up these awesome enhancements! What a blast from the past!

Reactions: wilm0x42

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heads up...! Earlier today @Chadderz & MrBean3500vr officially released their GameCube (GCN) controller adapter support for CTGP-R (http://www.chadsoft.co.uk/download/updates.html). We saw a glimpse of this project a few months back when Chadderz kindly open sourced the progress (https://github.com/Chadderz121/wup-028-bslug). This challenge has taken MrBean and Chadderz over a year of hard word to perfect for the community. Thank you both very much!

Still crossing my fingers for WiiWare support one day!
@monkeyman4412 , @Lyrin , @cruplezone , @Peninsula (tags for CTGP discussion on page 4)

D

Deleted User

Alright! Now we just need some way to... well, have project M working with it. (and riders zg) But honestly, we are lucky at all for this as the wiiu is, well... dead, extremely dead right now tbh.

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heads up...! Earlier today @Chadderz & MrBean3500vr officially released their GameCube (GCN) controller adapter support for CTGP-R (http://www.chadsoft.co.uk/download/updates.html). We saw a glimpse of this project a few months back when Chadderz kindly open sourced the progress (https://github.com/Chadderz121/wup-028-bslug). This challenge has taken MrBean and Chadderz over a year of hard word to perfect for the community. Thank you both very much!

Still crossing my fingers for WiiWare support one day!
@monkeyman4412 , @Lyrin , @cruplezone , @Peninsula (tags for CTGP discussion on page 4)

Cool! I remember MrBean teasing this feature a looooong time ago. Glad to see they've finally made it a part of CTGP.
I too am really hoping for WiiWare support. Bomerman Blast is the only reason I still have my Wii hooked up to the TV, and it would be nice to have the Wii U do it all.

Alright! Now we just need some way to... well, have project M working with it. (and riders zg) But honestly, we are lucky at all for this as the wiiu is, well... dead, extremely dead right now tbh.

wilm0x42's version (the one in the beginning of the thread) does work with Project M. You just need the brawl disc and an SD card <=2Gb.

Reactions: Masana

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been looking through this thread and trying to figure all this out - is directly patching an Brawl ISO / a Brawl Wii VC injection with this gamecube controller patch possible, or will it always require disk + launcher?

dcx6723

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did some test for the latest brainslug module :
- Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo PAL (work)
- Super Smash Bros Brawl PAL (not working)

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNIP

Also, here's the current state of the implementation methods we've looked into:
  • GCT: Gecko code implementation is totally working. It just requires PM's gameconfig.txt in order to fit the absurdly large code. Basically, it should work anywhere that PM's codeset will work. So, direct WBFS patching should work just fine when I finish the latest changes, @JacobM.
SNIP

I may be misunderstanding this (and lots of points in this thread), but if this much works it should be possible to patch an ISO to include the GCT directly and have it work as-is, right? It seems a lot of people are using USB Loaders to load an external GCT file and that that is where issues are stemming from.

Am I correct in that a straight-up patch of a Brawl ISO using a tool like https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder/releases built on-top of Project M would work? I want to build a Wii VC release and since that runs in vWii, I think that means that this patch would work without any additional tweaks like it would for a USB Loader but I may be wrong.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be misunderstanding this (and lots of points in this thread), but if this much works it should be possible to patch an ISO to include the GCT directly and have it work as-is, right? It seems a lot of people are using USB Loaders to load an external GCT file and that that is where issues are stemming from.

Am I correct in that a straight-up patch of a Brawl ISO using a tool like https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder/releases built on-top of Project M would work? I want to build a Wii VC release and since that runs in vWii, I think that means that this patch would work without any additional tweaks like it would for a USB Loader but I may be wrong.

I've already tried that a long time ago, but I might have been the only one to attempt it. Maybe I did it wrong? I think last we left off we learned that the cIOS was the issue. I've been meaning to finish my testing to confirm it. My plan was to add a theoretically compatible cIOS available only for Wii (not vWii) and run a custom ISO to see if it picks up the adapter. I've partially been too lazy to tinker with it and it wouldn't really help in getting it working on the vWii unless a cIOS developer decides to come back which will realistically never happen. Our best bet is for @wilm0x42 to patch his script to work with the existing cIOSs.

Reactions: d4mation

wilm0x42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already tried that a long time ago, but I might have been the only one to attempt it. Maybe I did it wrong? I think last we left off we learned that the cIOS was the issue. I've been meaning to finish my testing to confirm it. My plan was to add a theoretically compatible cIOS available only for Wii (not vWii) and run a custom ISO to see if it picks up the adapter. I've partially been too lazy to tinker with it and it wouldn't really help in getting it working on the vWii unless a cIOS developer decides to come back which will realistically never happen. Our best bet is for @wilm0x42 to patch his script to work with the existing cIOSs.
Pretty much yes, but the issue isn't technically with the cIOS, but with IOS itself; some IOSes have different USB interfaces, which are currently incompatible with the hack. The issue is that most (if not all) cIOSes are based off of newer IOS versions (IOS58 in particular) which change the internal USB interface. I've been (slowly) working on adding support for both interfaces, which should solve all our problems. That said, you can theoretically install the hack onto an ISO as described no problem, but it won't work unless you can somehow launch that ISO while running an unmodified IOS36.

*Notices this response took 1.5 weeks*
Sorry I don't check GBATemp very often...

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much yes, but the issue isn't technically with the cIOS, but with IOS itself; some IOSes have different USB interfaces, which are currently incompatible with the hack. The issue is that most (if not all) cIOSes are based off of newer IOS versions (IOS58 in particular) which change the internal USB interface. I've been (slowly) working on adding support for both interfaces, which should solve all our problems. That said, you can theoretically install the hack onto an ISO as described no problem, but it won't work unless you can somehow launch that ISO while running an unmodified IOS36.

*Notices this response took 1.5 weeks*
Sorry I don't check GBATemp very often...

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I think I have some free time today to experiment with a custom Brawl / ProjectM ISO on a Wii with a modified 36,37,38

Reactions: Peninsula

George miller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe one day we will be able to use the gc adapter on the vWii with some vWii hacked or altered cIOS? Am I understanding this correctly, so that will alow us to play our Wii games with gamecube controllers (those games able to do so) while using USB LOADER GX, etc.?

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to installing a b52 cIOS base 38 (in slot 238) on my original Wii.
USB HDD in bottom USB port w/ Nintendo GCA adapter black port in top USB port.
The following were all tested with my cIOS 238...
Disc Loading: Works
Disc + GCT Adapter Script: Works
Brawl WBFS: Works
Brawl WBFS + GCT Adapter Script: WORKS
Project M + GCT Adapter Script: DOES NOT WORK

1. It appears Project M is not compatible with IOS 38 based cIOS. It seems like the homebrew Project M patcher reloads the IOS. I forget what a ProjectM WBFS does but it doesn't accept the GCA script in any form.
2. I was unsuccessful in patching the GCT data to a Brawl WBFS.

So maybe one day we will be able to use the gc adapter on the vWii with some vWii hacked or altered cIOS? Am I understanding this correctly, so that will alow us to play our Wii games with gamecube controllers (those games able to do so) while using USB LOADER GX, etc.?

@wilm0x42 's project is focused on Brawl / Project M / Brawl mods. In its current state it only works with a physical Brawl disc in the drive, but he his working to make it compatible with the existing vWii cIOS.

@Chadderz 's project works for most other disc games. The latest version of his code remains exclusive to CTGP, but I believe he intends to update the github page in the future. A fork of Brainslug can most likely accept Wii Channels with some source code modification. This could potentially allow for games like Bomberman Blast to work and possibly even USB Loaders missing HID support.

Last edited by JacobM,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.