Hardware Need parts to repair USB ports on Phat

GaryGood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interior pins in the front USB ports of my 360 Falcon are broken, so I need to replace the USB ports. Understand that I'll have to do some de-soldering/soldering. Searched DigiKey without success. Does anyone know where I can get replacement USB ports? The ports are the silver rectangle at right front in the following photo. Much obliged.
1230191918.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Might want to dedust that thing and replace thermal paste whilst your at it haha.
Have you tried ebay/aliexpress?

Other then that, you could see if you can find a RROD console or a for parts console.
Desolder the USB from the board.

GaryGood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Dinoh for your reply. If I can repair the USB ports, I will certainly clean up the board and redo the thermal paste. :blink: I've searched and searched on EBay, but no hits for that metal rectangular housing holding the dual USB ports. And yes, if I can find one, I'll have to de-solder it from the board and resolder replacement. Regards.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DinohScene was more saying that custom parts like that tend not to be stocked by the digikey/farnell/element14/... or even on ebay all that much, as you have seemingly found out yourself. If you do want to fix a falcon motherboard though (why I don't know, especially as I don't see any evidence of JTAG or RGH installs on that, but to each their own) then you should be able to find a previously red ringed falcon motherboard* or whole console (presumably without power, controls, video, possibly DVD...) and cannibalise that for the parts instead -- often the best source for parts is another broken example of the same device. Red ringed consoles go for next to nothing and if you ask at a game shop selling second hand things or anywhere you can find second hand 360s you can probably pick one up and have someone thank you for freeing up the space, and you need not worry about red ring or some other failure as you presumably only want the USB ports from it.

*I don't know if that would have changed between revisions of original xbox. I can probably have a look from the examples I have here later if you really want.

If push comes to shove then USB is USB is USB so you might not be able to have it sit nicely in the housing but if you just want to have something plug in to the charge or something then you can instead fly a wire to whatever USB socket you can get or scavenge from something else.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its only 1 port that is bad you can always clean everything up. clip whatever remaining pieces of metal are in it and seal it shut with a usb dust cover and keep the remaining 2 usb ports. might be a cheaper alternative if all you are looking for is functionality.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DinohScene was more saying that custom parts like that tend not to be stocked by the digikey/farnell/element14/... or even on ebay all that much, as you have seemingly found out yourself. If you do want to fix a falcon motherboard though (why I don't know, especially as I don't see any evidence of JTAG or RGH installs on that, but to each their own) then you should be able to find a previously red ringed falcon motherboard* or whole console (presumably without power, controls, video, possibly DVD...) and cannibalise that for the parts instead -- often the best source for parts is another broken example of the same device. Red ringed consoles go for next to nothing and if you ask at a game shop selling second hand things or anywhere you can find second hand 360s you can probably pick one up and have someone thank you for freeing up the space, and you need not worry about red ring or some other failure as you presumably only want the USB ports from it.

*I don't know if that would have changed between revisions of original xbox. I can probably have a look from the examples I have here later if you really want.

If push comes to shove then USB is USB is USB so you might not be able to have it sit nicely in the housing but if you just want to have something plug in to the charge or something then you can instead fly a wire to whatever USB socket you can get or scavenge from something else.

Aside from some minor difference and CPU/GPU fabrication process shrinking, nothing much changed in the phatties.

I/O ports are the same for Xenons all the way to Kronos revisions (minus the HDMI port on later consoles) so yeh, cannibalise a RROD console, perhaps the cheapest way to mend it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: one of the people that appeared there was a minor when filming the cutscenes where she appears